Got my CX-7 yesterday...

ljmattox

:
2012 Mazda 5 Grand Touring
...after a long search of alternatives.

So I'm now reading up on a bunch of stuff on this forum, but a search for "door sill" didn't turn up any discussion of a problem I'm going to have: continually scuffing the plastic trim piece between the driver's seat and the door sill itself.

I have a black GT with stone interior; that plastic piece is therefore stone/light and scuffs really easily getting in and out. I've got my share of plastic cleaners / polishers and so on; other than using them once a week, does anyone know if the aftermarket has addressed this yet with some type of guard/plate/something to protect this piece?

Thanks for any help.

Took it for it's first twisty-road run this morning, these vehicles perform very well indeed! Although, it takes a bit of re-orienting to pilot curves at SUV-height, versus my Miata seat :).

Congrats on the new CX!!

As for the scuff plate, I haven't heard of anything to protect it. I also have the sand interior, and mine is looking pretty icky - and it's not even 2 months old yet! I have just learned to accept it as a consequence of using the car (same thing I tell myself whenever I discover a new scratch on the paint!) After all, why buy an SUV if you aren't going to be all 'rugged' in it? :D

Hope you and your family enjoy many miles of happy motoring!

ljmattox said:

So I'm now reading up on a bunch of stuff on this forum, but a search for "door sill" didn't turn up any discussion of a problem I'm going to have: continually scuffing the plastic trim piece between the driver's seat and the door sill itself.

I have a black GT with stone interior; that plastic piece is therefore stone/light and scuffs really easily getting in and out. I've got my share of plastic cleaners / polishers and so on; other than using them once a week, does anyone know if the aftermarket has addressed this yet with some type of guard/plate/something to protect this piece?

Thanks for any help.

Took it for it's first twisty-road run this morning, these vehicles perform very well indeed! Although, it takes a bit of re-orienting to pilot curves at SUV-height, versus my Miata seat :).

I did the door TSB. It is under door seals. Not sure what you are listing. Pictures would help

If yours if flat and sticks under the doors without touching not rounded you have the old style and need them to be replaced. It keeps the dirty water out and reduces cabin noise.

Also the gas cap and Engine Control Unit reflash and aTransmission Control Unit reflash...

ljmattox said:

I know just what you're talking about, but trust me, it gets better. When I first got my CX-7, it seemed all I had to do was look at that piece and it left a mark. Now I have had mine for about five months and I can say it has gotten a lot better just from applying protectants or cleaners. (I've used sonus cockpit detailer and 303 Aerospace protectant.) I might have done it every week when I first got the car, but now I only do it maybe once a month. It seems like with the base that is there, the area either doesn't scuff as often or if it does, it wipes off very easily with either a dry or barely wet microfiber cloth.

I'm not aware of any after market products but I think you'll find you don't need one. I hope you experience the same improvement I did.

Otherwise, keep enjoying the ride and welcome.

Thanks for the heads up on the TSB's. Looks like this site also has a good list of them, and I'll review them with the dealer. Reading the first couple, I see that they call for the servicing dealer to apply the changes to current stock as well as owner vehicles; I'd have a little skepticism that every dealer is thorough in this regard so it wouldn't hurt to check.

Anyone know if Mazda dealers can check VIN's to see if a TSB has been applied to it? Some of them would be obvious if done, e.g. the door seals are round instead of flat; if the chip re-program was done, a decal is supposed to be affixed to the door jamb. That sort of thing. But it would nice if they kept track somehow...anyone know on this?

I would say it "feels" like the chip work was done. I drove one in about June 2006, and came away thinking, "gee, this is so cool, but it really needs a V6, there's just no power on part throttle/daily driving". So then now, we'd been out looking at Ford Edge's over the weekend, and it dawned on me to try a CX-7 again as I'd heard about the chip TSB. Test drove the one I eventually bought and it was night/day compared to a year ago, much better off the line, no hesitation, and of course still has that 4000+ jump to light speed as everything spools up / opens / times valves / etc.

Thanks...I hit my first 3 scuffs last night with my favorite Meguiar's Vinyl Dressing and it came right off. Looks like I'll need to keep it handy, and maybe learn to be less of a klutz getting in/out.

The JDM part is, at looks like, a metal part. There's a JDM catalog in one of these sections that shows the bright scuff plate. Of course, like anything, it would also be prone to some damage, but perhaps it would be more robust for your needs.

Maybe lift your feet higher when getting in and out....????

I'm sorry I couldn't resist. Welcome. I have the sand interior as well. I have used Turtle Wax ICE on those pieces even though it says for exterior use only. It took the existing scuffs off and it seems to keep the scuffs from coming back.

I have 303 aerospace protectant and hadn't thought of using it there, but I think I'll try that.

By the way, i haven't found anything that protects the leather seats better than 303.

I picked my Copper Red/Black CX7 up last night. Love it, definitely a totally different vehicle than my MSP but I still have a little more time left with the Pro to satiate my need for sport compact world!

lisevolution said:
I picked my Copper Red/Black CX7 up last night. Love it, definitely a totally different vehicle than my MSP but I still have a little more time left with the Pro to satiate my need for sport compact world!

Congrats!!! Hope you love your CX as much as we love ours!

ljmattox said:
Thanks for the heads up on the TSB's. Looks like this site also has a good list of them, and I'll review them with the dealer. Reading the first couple, I see that they call for the servicing dealer to apply the changes to current stock as well as owner vehicles; I'd have a little skepticism that every dealer is thorough in this regard so it wouldn't hurt to check.

Anyone know if Mazda dealers can check VIN's to see if a TSB has been applied to it? Some of them would be obvious if done, e.g. the door seals are round instead of flat; if the chip re-program was done, a decal is supposed to be affixed to the door jamb. That sort of thing. But it would nice if they kept track somehow...anyone know on this?

I would say it "feels" like the chip work was done. I drove one in about June 2006, and came away thinking, "gee, this is so cool, but it really needs a V6, there's just no power on part throttle/daily driving". So then now, we'd been out looking at Ford Edge's over the weekend, and it dawned on me to try a CX-7 again as I'd heard about the chip TSB. Test drove the one I eventually bought and it was night/day compared to a year ago, much better off the line, no hesitation, and of course still has that 4000+ jump to light speed as everything spools up / opens / times valves / etc.

It seems the TSBs are mostly only when the owners b**** so I would think Mazda really does not want dealers to do their inventorys as they want to wait and hope some timid owners will just not complain and save them some cash. yes the TSB lists what VINs are affected and did not get the new parts at the plant.

Part of the TSBs is to mark the car so any mechanic can see it has been done.

I asked this specific question when I was picking up my the car last night and the dealer said that all of the cars that are on their lot from April on have been done by the factory. I obviously have no way of knowing... as far as the hesitation problem I too noticed a significant difference between the first one I test drove last summer and the one I bought. It does seem that it loses breath as the revs creep up but the initial punch is definitely stronger. I still think that with the proper A/F controller and possibly some spark/ignition adjustments this thing will really cook. You can smell the richness in the exhaust fumes... that was one of the biggest performance enhancers I did to my MSP. Once I added the afc I got literally another 20hp, better gas mileage and a definite few tenths off the time

Where could I find the actual TSB's? The Canadian dealers like to pretend like they don't apply, but if I had the american TSB's to show them, it might help me get some of these issues taken care of.

Edit - nevermind, I found them. There is a TSB for almost every issue I'm having, let's hope they'll attempt to fix some of these problems!

Last edited:
Alpha Wolf said:
It seems the TSBs are mostly only when the owners b**** so I would think Mazda really does not want dealers to do their inventorys as they want to wait and hope some timid owners will just not complain and save them some cash. yes the TSB lists what VINs are affected and did not get the new parts at the plant.

Part of the TSBs is to mark the car so any mechanic can see it has been done.

Mine had the computer reflash done before I took delivery, the date on the sticker is the same day I took delivery.

where is the sticker for the flash? I'd like to check and make sure...I took delivery prior to my roof rack being in stock so I have to go back to get that put on anyway

lisevolution said:
where is the sticker for the flash? I'd like to check and make sure...I took delivery prior to my roof rack being in stock so I have to go back to get that put on anyway

supposed to be on the driver door jamb

Back