Got AP, ready for tune, do I need new fuel pump?

JingChuan

Vitriolist
:
2012 Mazda 5 GT
So I got the AP and was going to load one of the OTS tunes, or go to a local tuner (there are a few around here), but I've heard the stock fuel pump is the typical fail after this point. If I dyno tune, should I get the fuel pump first? Minor mods include CPE Nano and a test pipe. And I really need to get another engine mount. My last one seems to have given up. And I'm a pretty easy driver.

If your an easy driver, why not just get more bolt ons rather than a tune? With what I've done thus far, my fuel pressure is right where it should be; not even close to failing. And I know many others that have a lot more done with no upgraded fuel pump (or a tune for that matter). Maybe someone else can answer this; but is a tune even necessary with just those two mods? I would assume not; but i don't know.

ABSOLUTELY not needed, but then again if you have bigger plans down the road then yea why not, as long as you don't mind spending the $$ to get it done.

Absolutely IS needed...if your WOT/high load pressures are dropping under ~1660 psi. Go on the highway, put it in 4th, mat it for a while, datalog that and you'll see what needs doing, if anything.

Buy the bits, you can do this job in an hour if you're reasonably mechanical, (say, competent to change spark plugs) and have a few hand tools.

Darth gave good advice....heres my 2 cents. The stock fuel pump can poop out on you while being stock,so needless to say its not the best oem part on your car.

I ran the stock tune with a intake and testpipe..and my car seem to run just fine. I didnt tune my car till I was pretty much fully bolted. In my opinion the OTS maps are ass,and you need to do some strong 4th gear WOT pulls and datalog it.
IF you plan to run MORE mods.....then just run stock ecu map right now..and go get yourself a upgraded fuel pump as your next mod...then add lthe mods you want and get your car pro-tuned

Ok, let me correct: I am an easy driver - on the street. Just because I don't assclown it every light to light doesn't mean I don't want to see what else the car can do, within reason. (Plus there are the track days. ;) ) And to reiterate, I've got the AP, so I'm interested in changing the maps as I have done in the past with other platforms. This includes our current APR'd family car, which I couldn't be happier with ($800 for 50+ hp and even more tq). Anyway, I've been told that the fuel pump will die on the dyno as the tuner remaps appropriately. And even more unbelievably - the price to upgrade a f***ing fuel pump! $369, are you kidding me? Anyway, sorry about the rant, just curious to hear if the fuel pump upgrade really was necessary. I'll do it if I must. I need to do a little more at the track than I have been. Thanks....

*EDIT* Oh, I doubt I will do anything more, mod-wise. I rarely keep my cars for too long. IF I can get a good usable tune for now, that I can switch back to stock for trips to the dealer, and resale, I'd be happy.

Last edited:
So if you rarely keep cars for too long, then why even bother investing so much money into it? I mean, if you have big plans for it, then yeah, upgrading the fuel pump might be a good idea eventually. But there are so many other bolt ons that come with less headache (dp, cbe, upgraded TMIC or FMIC, TIP, clutch/flywheel, etc).

I would like to see what kind of gains you do get though. I've had my eye on an AP but have held off because I didn't think I'd get reasonable gains for the money spent; especially for a stock tune.

Absolutely IS needed...if your WOT/high load pressures are dropping under ~1660 psi. Go on the highway, put it in 4th, mat it for a while, datalog that and you'll see what needs doing, if anything.

Buy the bits, you can do this job in an hour if you're reasonably mechanical, (say, competent to change spark plugs) and have a few hand tools.

Thanks man. I have been datalogging for a while already, but I haven't really been using the fuel pressure data, as all my datalogs have been on my heavy traffic commute. I'll have to make a point to get out on the highway late at night and do some WOT runs. One question though - why only 4th gear?

4th gear gives you alot of load and enough time for the fp to croak if it's going to. 5th would be better but, you need alot of road to run it right up to 6000. A few shots at low speed won't display this tendency.

...and upgrading your fuel pump isn't $369, it's about $200 in parts and an hour of your time for cheap insurance against melting this engine. Even if you can't handle the work (it's so easy, if that's true, you'd best put down the tools and back away from the car), you could send your pump to PtP and they'd send you one already done, same end cost as just buying parts, last I checked.

...and upgrading your fuel pump isn't $369, it's about $200 in parts and an hour of your time for cheap insurance against melting this engine. Even if you can't handle the work (it's so easy, if that's true, you'd best put down the tools and back away from the car), you could send your pump to PtP and they'd send you one already done, same end cost as just buying parts, last I checked.

Am I just checking in the wrong place? I don't see the $200 option...

http://www.pt-performance.com/showProduct.php?vID=3&cID=3&pID=261

No you're right...and I checked my bill and it was actually $299 when I did it. So, price has gone up slightly but, it's still smart and cheap. Lots of EFI cars are well served by a pump upgrade before mods. It's the cost of doing business.

the ptp fuel pump has a lifetime warranty... the price tag is well worth the safety of your engine.... it builds pressure earlier, and holds higher way into the rev band.... getting a preassembled pump isnt bad either.... 6xx bucks... you get the pump, and send your stock one back and you get half of the money credited back to you...

or you can just buy the internals and disassemble your pump yourself...

also an upgraded fuel pump gives you a strange smoothnes when you get on it up top... like "hey everything is gonna be ok" haha

give john at ptp a call.... he's the guy and will not do you wrong

i <3 my fuel pump btw :D

Back