Got an interesting email from the dealer...

MI MSP

Ok.. Being a Ford employee the dealer is kinda kissin my butt.. I am always going back and forth with him over what is truly going on.. I sent him the stories I have been hearing and he sent me this email:

I haven't heard anything about missing parts, but the cold weather fuel cut out is true. The colder air causes the engine to create about 200 HP, (which doesn't seem to be a problem to me) this causes the computer to shut down the engine. Mazda is trying to get the Gov't to allow them to reprogram the computer without having to recertify the emissions.

So esentially he is saying COLD AIR gives the MSP an extra 30 hp :bs: :wtf: and on top of it the extra power was causing the computer to shut down the engine?!?! This could be interesting..

The damn gov't, they've got their fingers in everything don't they? I say they should modify the program to produce 200 hp ALL the time.

Cold Air - Good!

That's why they put intercoolers on boosted engines. The cooler the air charge, the denser the air and the more oxygen you can pack in the cylinder for combustion.
The fact that Callaway and Visteon didn't allow for it in the design phase gives me pause. Jim

The things I am pointing out specifically that I found interesting

1. The claim of 200 HP
2. The fact that cold air is triggering the anti-tampering module.. What other things will do that? Will the exhaust do it? A CAI? A bigger intercooler??

Personally, I think the most important point in that email is that the car could potentially have to be recertified. That means more delays. There's no sense in worrying about what mods will set of the anti-tampering devices if you don't have a car to tamper with.

The delay as far as I am concerned is not worthy of mentioning.. Mostly because no one knows how long it will be.. Could be next week, could be next year.. If they do have to recert, how long does it take.. I dont know so I'm not worried about that.. I am worried about if I can modify the car.. if I can't do it without setting off this anti-tamper device, whats the point???

crap...this car is never coming out...i had hopes for it start of december...but now..by the looks of this...*sigh*

Re: Cold Air - Good!

Jim Frye said:
That's why they put intercoolers on boosted engines. The cooler the air charge, the denser the air and the more oxygen you can pack in the cylinder for combustion.
The fact that Callaway and Visteon didn't allow for it in the design phase gives me pause. Jim

I thought they put I/C's because otherwise the poor engine blows up!

the intercooler allows colder charged air to be brought into the turbo allowing in more cooler temps thus bringing more HP. 30 extra is a shitload though. but i did notice better response and power coming from my turbo 7 when the weather got cooler:D

Re: Re: Cold Air - Good!

enry said:

I thought they put I/C's because otherwise the poor engine blows up!

Very short simple answer...

Two reasons for the intercooler:

1.Compressor(turbo) heats air as it does its thing. The hotter the air, the better the chance for detonation. Detonation is one of the main demons that leads egines to go south.

2. As listed above...Warm air has less density than cool air. More density, more oxygen, more oxygen, more power.

The intercooler cools the air that the turbo warms while compressing it.

If we had to require something on this site...it would be...READ MAXIMUM BOOST!

Quiz on Chapter 1 Monday:D

Back