Got a question...

illusonist504

:
mazda,potege MP3 ,2001
Alright I own a 2001 mazda protoge mp3. My motor went out so I had purchased a 2.0l in place of my 1.6. Bad idea, now I think that my ecu isn't correct do I need to change out my wiring harness in place of 1.6 to a 2.0 or is there a way i can flash the 1.6 ecu to match the timing of a regular 2.0 ecu bc the 2.0 is not mp3 edition motor?

Well in the case of misleading information u take the cake. obviously I need to consult with another kind of intelligence before taking any futher advise from this page. In the year the 2001 mazda did very much so make a mp3 racing beat in the 1.6l, the reason it was called mp3 had nothing to do with the motor it only consisted with the advance performance that the ecu and exhaust. In other words the reason it was declared a racing beat was the 10 xtra hp that came from the exhaust and the advance timing on the ecu which regulated the rpm,'faster cam, slower rpms." I have done consulted many of professionals on my matter at hand, I have discussed my problem with them over the course of 3 months and everyone I've talked to has come to the same conclusion that I have. The engine harness has to be change with the ecu which I already have, so thanks for trying to help me with my problem but I think I got it now buddy. Peace love and chicken grease.

(facepalm)

i own an mp3. only came with 2.0L.

search the forum and the internet. and even check protegefaq.net or racing beat themselves. you will find that the information i gave you is 100% correct.

you are the biggest ******* idiot i have ever seen post in an automotive forum. your ignorance and attitude is the best part about. i cant find the words to stress how much of a moron you are for coming on this forum and posting such nonsense with this little bitchmade arrogant attitude you have. i hope your "1.6L" wiring harness catches on fire you faggot

ehh you try to help someone with proper info and thats what you get in return. nice.

curious to pictures of "super jdm rare beat racing" 1.6 protege MP3...

how do you expect any help kid? im almost convinced this is some sort of joke.

you mean to tell me you pulled a motor out of your "mp3"

-bought a 1.6l and dropped it in your car and now have wiring/ecu problems?

i wanna know how its possible that during this process you never came across any piece of information(guy at parts store/company you bought engine from/etc) that caused any red flags to pop up here?

-you either do not have a 2001 mazda protege mp3 and are very confused as to what this trim package consists of.

-or you actually do have an mp3 and are completely foolish to have gone as far as pulling your 2.0 fs-de out of the car and putting a 1.6l in it?

something is wrong with this picture. if you want some help why dont you clarify what the ***** actually going on here. post the VIN number of your car and the stamp on the engine your putting in it. PROBLEM SOLVED

wait a minute? look at his location, is there a possibility there are australian or european vehicles out there they badged as an mp3 and put different motors in?

from what he is saying his "MP3" has a 1.6 in it currently. and wants to swap the 2.0L FS into it. which wouldnt make sense because there is 1 in there.

there were 1500 MP3's released. I cannot remember is Canada got 250 of them or 250 on top of the 1500. they were all the same other than the U.S got the option of blue or yellow.

my guess is that he is mis-informed and has a normal 1.6 with a few MP3 pieces and badges on the car.

the only other special edition proteges were the Sport 20, Mazdaspeed protege and Mazdaspeed familia.

the reason it was called mp3 had nothing to do with the motor it only consisted with the advance performance that the ecu and exhaust. In other words the reason it was declared a racing beat was the 10 xtra hp that came from the exhaust and the advance timing on the ecu which regulated the rpm,'faster cam, slower rpms."
nope, it's called MP3 because it was one of the first cars capable of playing mp3 cd's. the suspension, the muffler, because that is all that is different in the exhaust, the ecu, and the lack of intake manifold VTCS butterflies are incidental to the naming of the car.

you are the biggest ******* idiot i have ever seen post in an automotive forum. your ignorance and attitude is the best part about. i cant find the words to stress how much of a moron you are for coming on this forum and posting such nonsense with this little bitchmade arrogant attitude you have. i hope your "1.6L" wiring harness catches on fire you faggot

i understand where youre coming from, but there is no need to be so vulgar about it. just try to keep the forums a positive place. if he doesnt want to take the info, then so be it :)

nope, it's called MP3 because it was one of the first cars capable of playing mp3 cd's. the suspension, the muffler, because that is all that is different in the exhaust, the ecu, and the lack of intake manifold VTCS butterflies are incidental to the naming of the car.

pretty much. it was built my mazda/racing beat to be the first "Mazdaspeed" car but after it being so slow they renamed it MP3 for that reason^^ then over a few years revised a few things, threw on a turbo and you get the real Mazdaspeed Protege

Last edited:
Is this dude stupid? If he did enough research to find and join this forum you'd think he would have read somewhere it has a 2.0 and not insult someone trying to help him. I wonder if he has the only red. Or black mp3 as well

wait a minute? look at his location, is there a possibility there are australian or european vehicles out there they badged as an mp3 and put different motors in?

ponchatoula is in Louisiana :)

This thread showed up on the rice thread which is the reason I am even here. I don't know alot about the proteges but after some research I found this and I quote from wikipedia (I know not the best place for research):

"For the 2001 model year in North America, Mazda introduced the limited-edition Proteg MP3 featuring a new sport-tuned suspension, 17 inch Racing Hart wheels, and a 10 hp (7.5 kW) gain for a total of 140 hp (104 kW), which was achieved through a tuned factory ECU which advances ignition timing and requires Premium Pump Gasoline, cat-back exhaust by Racing Beat, and removal of the Mazda VTCS system which hindered air velocity in the intake manifold. As the name suggests, the MP3 also came from the factory with a complete 450-watt Kenwood powered MP3 stereo with 10-inch (250 mm) powered subwoofer. Only 1500 were produced 1000 of the blue, and 500 yellows.

2001 also saw Protegs getting a sharper face lift, the ES getting its rear disc brakes back and a stiffer suspension, and the 1.8 L engine growing to 2.0 L in the ES models, and also an option on the LX model, becoming the 2.0LX. All 2001 Proteg LX's with no 2.0 distinction came with the 1.6 L ZM-DE engine offered previously."

link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Familia

ponchatoula is in Louisiana :)

This thread showed up on the rice thread which is the reason I am even here. I don't know alot about the proteges but after some research I found this and I quote from wikipedia (I know not the best place for research):

"For the 2001 model year in North America, Mazda introduced the limited-edition Proteg MP3 featuring a new sport-tuned suspension, 17 inch Racing Hart wheels, and a 10 hp (7.5 kW) gain for a total of 140 hp (104 kW), which was achieved through a tuned factory ECU which advances ignition timing and requires Premium Pump Gasoline, cat-back exhaust by Racing Beat, and removal of the Mazda VTCS system which hindered air velocity in the intake manifold. As the name suggests, the MP3 also came from the factory with a complete 450-watt Kenwood powered MP3 stereo with 10-inch (250 mm) powered subwoofer. Only 1500 were produced – 1000 of the blue, and 500 yellows.

2001 also saw Protegs getting a sharper face lift, the ES getting its rear disc brakes back and a stiffer suspension, and the 1.8 L engine growing to 2.0 L in the ES models, and also an option on the LX model, becoming the 2.0LX. All 2001 Proteg LX's with no 2.0 distinction came with the 1.6 L ZM-DE engine offered previously."

link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Familia

ok that last tid bit applies to the mp3 how? That is just talking about hte entire protege line up in general...

Back