Good BPV without the Forge ping?

Tyrdstorm

:
2014 Mazda6 I Grand Touring
I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good BPV that doesn't have the ping sound like the Forge. I'm using a Forge now and it works great, I just can't get over the fighting ninjas under my hood. Oh, I also don't want to spend too much.

Subscribing to this thread! I am interested in the same question. I currently have the stock BPV and am looking for a quality BPV without the 'ping'

Turbosmart has the mellow'est sound. Very similar to stock bpv sound. I might get one soon. Forge has a new bpv out . . . rumor has it that it has no ping.

Turbosmart isn't too expensive. HKS SSQV with recirc fitting is another option but thats pricey. The only bpv with an unusual noise is the forge. All others sound like the stock more or less. Obviosly talking about bpv's not bov's . . .

Turbosmart has the mellow'est sound. Very similar to stock bpv sound. I might get one soon. Forge has a new bpv out . . . rumor has it that it has no ping.

This is true about the non-pinging Forge. I have it actually. Works great, seems to hold boost very well, although I dont have a boost gauge to monitor which isnt smart!

Basically you want anything thats recirc available, unless you have a COBB AP to help with the VTA problems. Ive heard good things about both HKS and TurboSmart but both can be pricey as said. Someone I know from meets is fully COBB bolted and running TurboSmart dual port and says it holds boost great.

Search the marketplace for decent priced used BOV/BPV's.

For what it may be worth, I'm performing really great with the stock BPV.

If I could make the damn thing leak (it does not and I think most do not leak but people change because they've been told it will leak), I'd probably go with the Turbosmart pure BPV.

But if it ain't broke, don't "fix" it.

I ran an HKS SSQV recirc'd and it was great. Held boost pressure when I was pushing 19psi with no issues. It makes no sound other than the sound any BPV would make venting air to your intake.

Might be a little above your price range though, depending on how much you want to spend.

+1 to the HKS SSQV. You can get them for $260. I know "expensive" is relative, but it's been worth every penny.

I dont have an AP yet but from what I have read and been told by those who do have it is that it does fix it. I assume it depends on which map you run from it, but I cant tell you for sure.

Anyone with an AP able to chime in and confirm or deny this?

The car does run alot better with a Forge, even if the stocker isn't leaking. It's a design thing. The stock valve has a low speed, light throttle flutter built in for the ultimate nanny-panic safety of the turbo but, the forge is a simple on-off. This makes the car ALOT more responsive and fun when driving around normally.

My Class 1 Forge hasn't pinged once. I think it's the fact it's lubed well and that my car has a turbo inlet pipe on it, changing the sound character.

+1 to the HKS SSQV. You can get them for $260. I know "expensive" is relative, but it's been worth every penny.

What makes it better? I found it new for $289, but I'd like to be able to justify the $100 premium over say... the new Forge.

the original valve may or may not "ping" depending on a few variables.

The new valve will also allow for a lighter spring to be used at any given boost pressure due to the changes we made from the original valve.

What are the variables? Is there something I can do to make it not ping? I've just replaced the piston, seals and re-greased it.

As for the new BPV, what benefit is there to using a lighter spring? Are there any other benefits for the new valve over the old one?

The benefit of the HHS ssqv for
me is that you install it and go. Haven't had to do any maintenance in the 2 years I've had it and don't have to muck with springs and shims.

if you have the stock airbox you wont hear the whoosh sounds much with Forge.

if you have an aftermarket SRI or CAi you will hear the whoosh sounds notiseblely with Forge.

if you have an aftermarket SRI or CAi with stock bov you will the the whoosh sounds coming from your stock bov.

Latest posts

Back