Going Turbo, By Summer of 07

Just giving an update on my story. I just put in the O2 Clamp and she still runs. Every now and then she bucks when idling. Anyone have any ideas what that is? Kinda like dies and comes back to life. I also got an oil leak at the turbo oil return, yay. I tried to tighten it, but no luck. I am dog tired from yesterday, and the turbo is hot as hell, and I am not gonna mess with it today, plus not much light left. I guess I am going to have to call into work tomorrow and drain the oil and fix that leak. That's what was smoking, by the way. Its a pretty good leak. I took her out a few times. I am only getting about 2psi, I am going to try and adjust the waste gate a little 2morrow as well if I can. Anyone that goes about piecing a turbo kit together themselves and installing it themselves be prepared. Its no joke. That is unless you do it for a living. I was well prepared and still hit tons of obstacles. I wish the best of luck to everyone that is boosting their N/A Car.

***By the way, I know some folks were wondering, as well as I, what a Magnaflow with not cats sounds like turboed. To my surprise its quieter. I like that. Sounds really good. Once I get my car running good, I'll Make my own thread and post some stuff up.

Last edited:
Kansei said:
Yeah the missing 2nd oxygen sensor CEL is no problem at all. The stalling is due to the MAF location if you haven't relocated it. Just make sure it's at least 4-6 inches away from the BOV so it doesn't get messed up from the turbulence.

Whats wrong with your MAF location matthew? yours is like 5 ft away from the BOV, is that bad? wears the vac leak from? sound like one of thoes littil lines poped off mmmmm. maby up under the strut tower bar were i got vac from?(scratch)

Last edited:
Little Beavis said:
Matthew, the MAF to BOV distance is not an issue. We will relocate it this weekend. I already ordered the reducing elbow we'll need. The biggest issue we have is the stalling and I don't believe it is the BOV. Based upon what you have said, it stalls in all sorts of conditions. The BOV will only cause a problem when it "goes off" and vents metered air, but yours is clamped down pretty tight and not even going off most of the time and not when you are stalling. It didn't do this when it left my house so we need to figure out what happened. Unfortunately this will take some time (as will the MAF relocation) and once we move the MAF, your pretty little CAI won't be mounted correctly anymore - oh well. We'll figure something out, but it will take some time.

i know, everything will work out in time :)

Quick Update: probably is related to the same thing

I noticed that most of stalling happens in 3rd gear at a much higher RPM i can shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd and if i keep it in 3rd and give the car some gas "NOT ALL THE TIME" it would try to stall on me. Now when i come to a rolling stop and the car hasnt dropped back to 1st "which Sport ATX's do and i roll from 3rd gear thats usually where the problem starts.

Also when i got back from lunch today i had some time to mess with the car in park, while parked i gave the car some gas around 3500-4000 RPM and let off around 1000 RPM the car would hickup once and return to idle which is 750RPM steadly. gave it some more gas around 5000 RPM let off and the car hickup'ed even worse and tried to stall, the battery light flickered on the car shut off for 2 seconds and started right back up, Honestly im at a loss of what it could be but again things will be fixed on friday once i get what i need welded and the MAF relocated.

Just thought i would update as to what might be going on w/ the car.

Last edited:
I know this sounds stupid, but check to make sure you don't have a vacuum leak. That was the problem with mine having a erratic idle and dying at red lights. I was sitting at 12 inches vacuum at idle before I fixed it, now I am at like 18.5 inches. Just a thought.

iracemine said:
hey littil beavis.. do you have a schwinn aproved 12mm combo wrench sitting around in your gerage?

he sure does I'm going back friday to do some additional work so give him a call so you can pik it up I put it awy in his wrench drawer lol

Looks like mine will be the last turbo in the recent group. Still waiting on parts.......

Congrats to you though.

bradicus18 said:
Looks like mine will be the last turbo in the recent group. Still waiting on parts.......

Congrats to you though.

dude you're taking forever, get that done already haha

(dance)

Kansei said:
dude you're taking forever, get that done already haha

(dance)

LOL, yeah I wish. Juan is supposed to be sending me what I need soon but yet here I am......with a car that is basically finished with no fuel management.

[QUOTE=bra

thanks but I wont be completely satisfied until these things are corrected, but not to worry friday is approaching fast at least the car is running and that's all that matters right now.

the other problem is that the performance shop I'm taking it to is charging me 85 per hour and I need these things done so it will probably end up costing me 350-400 alone for the fabbing and the welding, but in return I get a quieter car, and no CEL. and the best part is, it shouldnt take more then 4 hours to do.

I'm very pleased what Little Beavis has done for me and I am very very grateful. he has done so much and I cannot thank him enough. he's a very patient person because I end up asking the sae question more then once (damn ADD) not to mention the time and effort he's put into my car. Hell he even ordered the MAF relocation pipes for me.

so in the next week or 2 things will look better and I am optimistic. makes you wish oney DID grow on trees haha.

yeah im blown away by how much this guy knows about our cars!!!! im pretty sure there isint one question LB couldent awnser. Just dont think he wants to(glare)

iracemine said:
yeah im blown away by how much this guy knows about our cars!!!! im pretty sure there isint one question LB couldent awnser. Just dont think he wants to(glare)

Dood he was tired, i could tell, we were both irritated with the results. i know i was tired, and freaking out hoping my car didnt blow up on the way home. I will say it before and say it again, i trust Jeremy with my car more then i trust myself. He knows what hes doing and hes very very damn knowledgeable

Update:

I was cleaning up the engine bay on lunch and I noticed the manifold might have a tiny exhaust leak there was a small line of black soot, again it was very small. I will take pictures on break and post them.

my ? is would having a very very small exhaust leak matter? will it disrupt performance?

oh yes it would, because the manifold is pressurized now that you are turbo. The car will run and all, but will be slower to build boost. I was missing a stud in my turbine housing that caused a decent sized exhaust leak and the car barely felt turboed at all.

Kansei said:
oh yes it would, because the manifold is pressurized now that you are turbo. The car will run and all, but will be slower to build boost. I was missing a stud in my turbine housing that caused a decent sized exhaust leak and the car barely felt turboed at all.

well I could be wrong it could be from the wastegate dumping into the automosphere, and soot happen to drop there. I dunno I will wipe it down and watch it.

Update:

I am currently at performance autowerks
typing this from my pocket pc cell phone I got here around 1pm CST its almost 3pm

The down pipe is finally welded to the exhaust

They tapped a 02 bung after my 2nd cat

currently they are fabbing up a pipe from my waste so it can dump stright into my exhaust as well.

I'm looking at 350-400 for that.

afterwords I'm headed back to little beavis's house so we can relocate the MAF and fix any vaccum leaks.

its been a long day, also got some good news I got my review and a raise today :) so I'm psyched!

sweet that dues welding skillz is worth it, no question. but let me know how the rest goes before you leave LB house.

update:

still at performance shop there now finishing up haven't seen the job but I'm sure it looks great, on to little beavis's house next probably within the next 25 mins

Back