Going to pick up my '07 Mazda5 tomorrow

DeoreDX

:
2007 Mazda5
I was looking for a 3rd vehicle for the family. I was looking used and wanted something less then $10k that seats 6 for mostly in town driving so we won't have to take 2 cars when the in-laws want to go somewhere with the wife and kid and I. I've always wanted a Mazda5 since I first saw one in '06. Most were just out of the price range I set, and I was looking at bigger heavier gas guzzling "mini" vans. I already have one Chevy Tahoe to guzzle gas I didn't really want another. But an '07 Grand Touring with 80k on the clock and leather seats fell into my lap @ $9.5k. I pick it up tomorrow. Only two things I'm worried about with the car:

Didn't see a 3.5mm headphone jack for a mp3 player. ugh.

I hope my golf clubs/bag fits in the back behind the 3rd row seat! :)

15738548706.278310615.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

15738548712.278310615.IM1.06.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

... Didn't see a 3.5mm headphone jack for a mp3 player...

I hope my golf clubs/bag fits in the back behind the 3rd row seat! :)
On the golf clubs, there are two black doors on the sides behind the third row. Take off the doors and the golf clubs will fit. Those doors were put there specifically so that golf clubs would fit (it's mentioned in the owner's manual).

On the auxilliary input jack - that started in '08. What you can do is to swap out the head unit.

Here is a good, reasonably priced one:

crutchfield.jpg

Blue buttons are shown, but you can switch it to green to match the rest of your dash.

Has front mounted USB port (play .mp3s off of a flash drive), front auxilliary jack, can control your iPod with no adapter needed, and of course can play .mp3s off of CD-Rs as well as CDs. $160, with kit, harness, and shipping included through Crutchfield. It's the Sony CDX-GT640UI. Plus you will gain a storage pocket under the radio.

Last edited:
"It's the Sony CDX-GT640UI."

That looks pretty sweet actually. I've had two Sony Xplods over the years with electrical problems though. Probably just my luck.

That looks pretty sweet actually. I've had two Sony Xplods over the years with electrical problems though. Probably just my luck.

Well they don't call them Xplods for nothing. (cryhard)

Good to hear about the golf clubs!

I was looking at the radios again, for $10 more ($170) you can get the Sony CDX-GT700HD which has everything the CDX-GT610UI has, but adds HD radio plus a supposedly better sound processor.

I really like the look of this unit, the clean lines and no buttons. It has a rear AUX input. I would route the aux input hidden behind the dash to wherever I mount my ZuneHD dock (I don't use an iPod so I can't use the abundance of iPod compatible head units). $179 isn't too bad of a price. I don't really use CD's so the 6 disc changer is just going to take up space in my 5.

crutchfield

Take a look at the user reviews for that unit, both at Crutchfield and at Amazon. But you are right about the CD changer. I still like to have CD player in my cars but that's just my personal preference, but there is no place for CD changers - they have been obsolete for about 8 years now.

I'm kind of suprised that Mazda sells the Mazda5 with the CD changer but not basic .mp3 capability. Hello Mazda, ...it's not 2000 anymore.

Nah, its Sony. Everything Sony I have ever owned gave up just ouside the warranty period. Of course, many people have had nothing but good Sonys. Some of us get all the lemons consistantly.

No fogs either. In Canada, our GT's have fogs, sills, spoiler and sunroof as standard, non-deletable equipment. That one looks like an American Sport model.

No fogs either. In Canada, our GT's have fogs, sills, spoiler and sunroof as standard, non-deletable equipment. That one looks like an American Sport model.

And the black leather? Only espresso brown for 07, weird option combo 5... has to be (canada)

And the black leather? Only espresso brown for 07, weird option combo 5... has to be (canada)

The car is in Georgia. According to the CarFax it has spent it's whole life in Georgia. It certainly is missing the side sills. Maybe someone took a sport and switched out the seats?

As mentioned already, it's definitely a Sport with Leather seats added afterwards. I've got an 07 GT and it includes standard equipment of fogs, blackened head/taillight trim, side sills, rear wing, brown leather, and sunroof. Seen so many dealers not do their research and misadvertise the trim level of the Mazda5. Having said that, even for a Sport, 80000 miles for $9500 isn't bad. It also almost looks like whoever installed the driver seat tilted it up. The driver seat cushion being too flat is a common complaint in this forum and some here have custom modified/reclined it for more comfort. Anyways, enjoy your ride...

Looked at it today and it's definitly a sport. Still bought it, the price was right and quite frankly only option I wanted from any of the touring packages was the leather. Seat did feel tilted up compared to the '08 I sat in. Seat felt great on the 2 hour ride home. First thing I did when I got home was put my golf clubs in the back :)

I think I've decided not to replace the head unit and look for an FM modulator that plugs into the antenna instead (Not the broadcasting type that is nothing but static).

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142FMMOD02/Scosche-FM-MOD02.html?search=fm+modulator&ssi=0

Just to give you an idea of the value of the leather seats, the cost to add leather to a Mazda5 is about $900 to $1,000 for the materials alone, or about $1,500 installed.

You can buy an aux-in port to install yourself or get one installed for you for roughly $100.

Back