Go from a P5 to a Mazda3?

tranzformer

:
2002 P5
I originally posted this in the Mazda3 section, but forgot how inactive that area is. Figured I would try in the P5 section since this is where I use to spend most of my time back in the day. Haven't been really active on the forums for quite some time. I have driven Mazdas my whole life. I just love the cars. I currently have an '02 Protege5 that is getting up there in miles, just under 95,000. I have taken care of the car and know that there is quite a bit of life in it; however in the next 12-18 months I will have to put quite a bit of money into it. By next summer/fall I will most likely have to do a new break job (including rotors since they can't be machined down any more), new tires and possibly a new exhaust, clutch, and shocks/struts. Not sure how much it would come out to be, but I think a conservative estimate of ~$3k sounds about right?

So as you can see I would like to upgrade into a new car with a warranty and not have to worry about these maintenance issues when they will eventually come up. The car is getting up there in age and obviously the older it gets, the higher rate of things going wrong and breaking. The Protege5 is a well built car, and of course could go a long time without any issues since I have been taking well care of it. Just not sure I want to risk having an older as I am in graduate school and have a good 6-8yrs before I will be making a good salary. So with a new car, I could theoretically get through that time period in a new Mazda 3.

So here is the main question; will I be happy coming from a Protege5 into a Mazda 3 hatch? I love the Protege5. Sure it is a little down on power. Sure the cabin has more to desire. Sure it isn't the quietest thing on the highway. But I love the style, practicality of the hatch, and the way she handles (rockon). Absolutely awesome. I had the chance to drive the '09 and '10 Mazda 3 hatch. Not a big fan of the '10 design so I would be looking at an '09. However I really didn't get a chance to get a true feel for the car on the 20 min test drive. Most of it was around city driving with a short time on the highway. Seemed responsive, quieter, and had a nicer cabin than the P5. However I am wondering if I would be as happy and content as in the P5? Is the Mazda 3 hatch as fun and responsive to drive as the P5 (rockon), or will I be disappointed? Thanks for the help guys.

First off, $3k? No.

Brakes:

2 Brembo blank rears = $50
2 Brembo blank rears = $75
Axxis DEluxe front pads = $30
Axxis Deluxe rear pads = $35

http://www.importrp.com/search.php?mode=search

Tires = $85 x 4 + installation = $400

Exhaust = buy one from a junk yard or of the classifieds here. Lots of people have em laying around. $100

Clutch = $100 + installation = $500

Shocks = kyb oem replacements = $200 + $200 to install = $400.

That's $1590, and you could do it cheaper, say, by having friends install the struts, etc. Also, it's not like you have to do it all at once.

Most of it is wear and tear. Don't get rid of it because it needs new brakes. :rolleyes:

I had a rental 3 sedan before my P5. The p5 is a better car in every way. I dislike the 3.

i linked her to this thread, so hopefully she'll chime in.

Thanks I appreciate it.

If anyone else "upgraded" to a 3 hatch I would be curious to it hear as well. Especially in relations to the handling and excitement of the 3 to the P5. The larger more powerful engine is a plus, as well as a newer cockpit. I just hope it doesn't loose its Zoom-Zoom factor (drive).

Dude, the engine is great, but the interior is not as nice as the P5, the suspension is wallowy and soft, the steering is far less sharp than the P5, the steering wheel is plastic, not small and leather, the seats are unsporty...

the 3 did have MP3 hookup, though. Sweet. ;)

Last edited:
I own a P5 and a MS3 (though is a MAZDASPEED) the chassis is similar and the suspension is stiffer. so i drive both cars constantly, and i can say that i always hope back into my P5 with a smile, i think it handles better than the BK chassis, and it grows on you. but like you said you want a newer vehicle with warranty so the BK is the way to go... both car a wonderful and i think you would be happy with both.

in the 3's defense, in 3s GT trim the car is leaps and bounds nicer on the interior than the p5. i own both so i'm fairly qualified to make that judgement.

that being said, the p5 is - for me - more enjoyable to drive. mazda conciously moved towards refinement, ride quality, materials quality, overall smoothness when they designed the 3. it did lose alot of the road manners and connectivity between driver and machine, but that was a trade off mazda made by design to increase the appeal of the car globally. judging by the sales numbers, it worked.

this is not a diss on the 3 in any way. its a nice car and rightly priced for what you are buying. its also a different car by many means than what came before it, much in the same way that the protege was so over the 323 that was over the GLC etc etc. the price of progress is what you lose and gain.

Dude, the engine is great, but the interior is not as nice as the P5, the suspension is wallowy and soft, the sterring is far less sharp than the P5, the sterring wheel is plastic, not small and leather, the seats are unsporty...

the 3 did have MP# hookup, though. Sweet. ;)

i think it depends on the trimline. i have a GT and i think the interior is the nicest in its class (comparing to a civic, corolla, elantra etc)

IMG_4456.jpg

Most of it is wear and tear. Don't get rid of it because it needs new brakes. :rolleyes:

I had a rental 3 sedan before my P5. The p5 is a better car in every way. I dislike the 3.

Poison thanks for your post. $3K was definitely a rough guess on my part based on taking it to a shop. Maybe I could get the work done a little bit cheaper like you mentioned. Unfortunately I am not able to do the work, and none of my friends are really car oriented.

I don't want you to mistake my post. I'm not trying to "cut off the nose to spite the face" in regards to not wanting to pay for the normal wear and tear. That isn't the issue. I am just looking into the future and realize I have to put quite a bit of $$ into the car, that isn't including if anything major pops up unexpectedly. One reason I was thinking of moving over to the 3 was because my dealer is really trying to push the '09 out the doors since they have the '10 models in. I could get a '09 hatch for $15k. Not sure how much my trade in would be (~$4-4.5K), and I'm hopefully looking at $11-low 12K out the door. Not bad for a brand new car with a new warranty that will get me through the rest of grad school without any major out of pocket costs and have a car that should last another 7-10yrs. That was just my thinking. With the economy being bad and dealers having a hard time, there are some good deals right now. Obviously I can't read the future, but I'm not sure they would be around when I really need to get a new car. Plus I hate the new 3 styling ('10). (omg) The 1st gen 3 looks real nice.

Last edited:
My wife has an '04 mazda 3s 4 door, bought it new as did I with my P5.For me the P5 feels more racey, more raw, to use a funny term. The 3 is quieter,rides softer,although it handles very well, the steering is quicker than the P5, the P5 feels lower,like your more part of the car. The 2.3 Liter 3's brakes are much better/bigger. I also think theP5 is better looking and Ken I must disagree on the interior, I like the looks of the P5 better, the 3 dash is kinda dull looking and harder to keep clean.I've put em both to the test and I like the P5 better all over.
in the 3's defense, in 3s GT trim the car is leaps and bounds nicer on the interior than the p5. i own both so i'm fairly qualified to make that judgement.

that being said, the p5 is - for me - more enjoyable to drive. mazda conciously moved towards refinement, ride quality, materials quality, overall smoothness when they designed the 3. it did lose alot of the road manners and connectivity between driver and machine, but that was a trade off mazda made by design to increase the appeal of the car globally. judging by the sales numbers, it worked.

this is not a diss on the 3 in any way. its a nice car and rightly priced for what you are buying. its also a different car by many means than what came before it, much in the same way that the protege was so over the 323 that was over the GLC etc etc. the price of progress is what you lose and gain.

Poison thanks for your post. $3K was definitely a rough guess on my part based on taking it to a shop. Maybe I could get the work done a little bit cheaper like you mentioned. Unfortunately I am not able to do the work, and none of my friends are really car oriented.

I don't want you to mistake my post. I'm not trying to "cut off the nose to spite the face" in regards to not wanting to pay for the normal wear and tear. That isn't the issue. I am just looking into the future and realize I have to put quite a bit of $$ into the car, that isn't including if anything major pops up unexpectedly. One reason I was thinking of moving over to the 3 was because my dealer is really trying to push the '09 out the doors since they have the '10 models in. I could get a '09 hatch for $15k. Not sure how much my trade in would be (~$4-4.5K), and I'm hopefully looking at $11-low 12K out the door. Not bad for a brand new car with a new warranty that will get me through the rest of grad school without any major out of pocket costs and have a car that should last another 7-10yrs. That was just my thinking. With the economy being bad and dealers having a hard time, there are some good deals right now. Obviously I can't read the future, but I'm not sure they would be around when I really need to get a new car. Plus I hate the new 3 styling. (omg)

Well, that's pretty much the total cost, with installation at a shop. Those aren't cut rate parts, either.

I just figure it took 7 years to go 90k, it'll take another 7 to go another 90k. The car should be well capable of doing that on these repairs you mentioned. And in these hard times, taking on a car payment, however good a deal, is crazy, when you have a reliable, relatively low mile car right there.

$3000 in car payments a year, plus increased insurance, pays for a hell of a lot of repairs. And hookers and blow.

Good luck, man!

Well, that's pretty much the total cost, with installation at a shop. Those aren't cut rate parts, either.

I just figure it took 7 years to go 90k, it'll take another 7 to go another 90k. The car should be well capable of doing that on these repairs you mentioned. And in these hard times, taking on a car payment, however good a deal, is crazy, when you have a reliable, relatively low mile car right there.

$3000 in car payments a year, plus increased insurance, pays for a hell of a lot of repairs. And hookers and blow.

Good luck, man!

I hear what you are saying, that has gone through my head. Luckily if I went ahead to purchase the 3 I would be able to pay cash for it and not worry about financing it. Also my insurance rate would be ~same. Crazy huh?

Ah, well then...it comes down to the drive. Myself, I can't believe how much better the P5 is than the 3, for my purposes, at least.

slightly off topic but...

"Plus I hate the new 3 styling ('10)"

the front end of the '10 is a travesty in my opinion. those fenders and that effing smiling air din. fail.

I plan on driving my p5 til the wheels fall off.
if you can pay cash for the '09, maybe find the best deals on the maintenance and keep the rest tucked away for a couple years, find an '09 with some warranty left and let someone else take the hit on the depreciation.

tough call though.. also, I have never sat inside or driven a 3, so what the hell do I know

Last edited:
I've driven a 3 (once) and as a young stupid teenager I can say I found it much heavier. The steering wasn't as sharp or precise as the P5. The engine was much more powerful, but it felt like more like a big sedan than a small nimble car. Depends on what you are looking for I guess. The interior is better looking in the 3 IMO but I think the P5' exterior is much more sexy. It is also much more alive and fun to drive. I love that damn car!

So I have done a little bit more research and came across that the 3 actually has better skidpad numbers than the P5 according to Car and Driver:

"Other formal test results are equally remarkable. For instance, the car pulled 0.87 g on the skidpad, a distinct improvement on the 0.79 g showing by the Proteg5 back in 2002 and more consistent with sports cars than econoboxes."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/car_shopping/budget_rides/mazda_3_road_test

Also it seems like the 3 has a stiffer chassis than the Protege line.

What tires were they each running? Any car will pull a g with Hoosiers. ;) P5's are easily .90+ cars when set up properly with alignment and minimal mods.

Go drive both cars back to back. The 3 is heavier, sloppier, and softer, in every way. Indeed, your article says the same:

Still, for all its competence and substance, the 3 somehow fails to be as immediately seductive as its Proteg predecessor. Why is that? We're not entirely sure, but we do have a couple of theories. Although it answers the helm without a hint of reluctance, there's a sensation of heaviness here that goes beyond the 162-pound difference between this Mazda five-door and the one that came home first in our 2002 hatchback derby. In the same vein, although it's almost two seconds quicker to 60 mph than the Proteg5, it doesn't convey that sense of quickness to its pilot, due to the combination of a quieter cabin and the electric-motor operation of the 2.3-liter engine, which is devoid of any peakiness, pulling smoothly and steadily right up to its 7100-rpm redline.

Another take: Mazda's entry-level offering has lost the lightness of being that made the Proteg so appealing, which is the price of the 3's clear improvement in substance and quality.

The Mazda 3 may very well carry on the Proteg's best-in-class tradition. But for all the gain, something's been lost. That's the price of growing up.

The 3 is absolute vanilla, as opposed to the P5, which is fun and exciting to drive.

Latest posts

Back