GM small seven-seat van (Chevy Orlando, merged)

Worldcarfans has a newer article with pics of the upcoming GM/Chevy MPV-7, without sliders:

General Motors will be introducing an all-new ‘people mover’ for the 2010 model year. As dictated by UAW contracts, the Delta-based MPV will be built at GM’s Hamtramck, Michigan, plant alongside such future vehicles as the Chevrolet Volt and next-generation Malibu.

Codenamed MPV-7, this new ‘people mover’ will be closely related to the next Opel Zafira, although it will be unique with a boxier and more masculine look compared to the sleek European designed Zafira. Interior will also be unique to the Chevy.

It has been speculated that the Saturn brand would also receive a badge engineered version of the front-wheel-drive MPV, but not right away as Chevy has dibs.

The new Chevrolet MPV will offer seating for either five or seven passengers depending on the options and packages that the customer chooses.

We’ll be seeing much more of the new MPV as it gets closer to production in 2009.

9080804.006.Mini1L.jpg

9080804.006.Mini2L.jpg

9080804.006.Mini3L.jpg

9080804.006.Mini4L.jpg

For reference, the Opel Zafira:

800px-Opel_Zafira_08-7-2005_silver_vr.jpg
800px-Vauxhall_Zafira_in_profile_May_2008.JPG

Last edited:
Codenamed MPV-7, this new people mover will be closely related to the next Opel Zafira, although it will be unique with a boxier and more masculine look compared to the sleek European designed Zafira. Interior will also be unique to the Chevy.

Oh dear, out of all that lingo I can read "UGLYFIED" for some reason, just look at the mirrors...

Hmmmm, wait a minute, I think we are not talking about the same MPV here. The 2nd one has no sliders and looks like a small SUV.

9080430.016.1M.jpg

112_0808_01l+2011_chevrolet_tacuma+side_view.jpg

9080909.003.Mini2L.jpg

9080909.003.Mini1L.jpg

Set for debut in Paris next month, GM Europe has unveiled first images for its Orlando Concept, a seven-seat family MPV which reminds of the Chevrolet Sequel SUV/crossover concept from 2005, although much smaller in size. The Orlando is based on the all-new Cruze compact sedan and aims at being a sport utility, family van and wagon.

With a wheelbase of 2760 mm, GM is placing emphasis on the vehicle's functionality with adaptable, theater-style seating in three rows comfortably accommodating up to seven occupants, while the spacious cabin can be quickly transformed into a large cargo area.

Powered by Chevrolets latest-generation 2.0-liter turbo diesel, developing 150 hp and 320 Nm of torque, GM hints of their intention to bring the Orlando to production, as it nicely fills an empty slot for their global product portfolio.

6/7-seat small crossovers are going to be the next rage. Every car company is going to have a few in their lineups soon. But until another manufacturer releases a vehicle (under 185" long) with sliding doors rear doors, the Mazda5 will still be unique.
Interestingly, that is about the size of the original Minivans... until they grew into aircraft carriers.

The is one of the primary reasons (sliding doors) why I decided to get it over all the other cars I looked at.

Last edited:
GM's too late for my business. Before the 5 I had only owned GM products.

I'm in the same boat with you. The 5 was the first non GM vehicle for me too. My next ride is probably going to be a Jetta TDI sportwagen because GM can't bring the Opel Astra wagon with the diesel over here. If Ford had brought the Smax over it would probably be sitting in my garage. The domestics have been putting their good vehicles overseas and the garbage here for years.

I'm in the same boat with you. The 5 was the first non GM vehicle for me too. My next ride is probably going to be a Jetta TDI sportwagen because GM can't bring the Opel Astra wagon with the diesel over here. If Ford had brought the Smax over it would probably be sitting in my garage. The domestics have been putting their good vehicles overseas and the garbage here for years.

The S-Max is a great car, but amazingly long. For that reason I'm surprised it's such a hit in Europe where parking spaces are so small. A diesel would be great for fuel economy and also for emissions if run on biodiesel, but so far I can't see a payoff when you consider the extra cost up front as well as the price difference in fuel.

I will say the tempting things about a Zafira is the 2nd row 3 seats, and turbo option, but no sliding doors= no deal.

The S-Max is a great car, but amazingly long. For that reason I'm surprised it's such a hit in Europe where parking spaces are so small.

The S-Max wheelbase is 100mm (4") longer and overall length is 260mm (10") longer. I wouldn't say amazingly long compared to the 5. Maybe you're confused with the Galaxy which is still small compared to a Grand Caravan.

I'm wondering what is it that's making other carmakers from shying away on sliding doors? Is it economics? logistics (they need to get rid of their warehouse full of swing doors), do they fear their new product will be called a minivan? Or maybe Mazda hit the only combination in the universe that makes a sliding-door equipped vehicle still look cool.

The S-Max wheelbase is 100mm (4") longer and overall length is 260mm (10") longer. I wouldn't say amazingly long compared to the 5. Maybe you're confused with the Galaxy which is still small compared to a Grand Caravan.

Actually I never said I was comparing it a 5 (not sure where you read that into my sentence). I was saying the S-max is a long car for European standards. I've drove an S-max for a week. Like I said, it's a great car. I also had it parked to a Galaxy and it's a bit longer than even that (they look really similar, but the Galaxy is taller, yet shorter bumper to bumper). In Europe, spaces (especially in the city centers) are much smaller than the U.S. Something like the Mazda5 is a good compromise for space vs. size. A 5 is as big as I would want over there.

Last edited:
It's dead, Jim!

GM has nixed plans to bring the vehicle to the US market.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122175512284552785.html?mod=rss_whats_news_us

The canceled Chevrolet vehicle, code-named the "Delta MPV7," was originally intended to be built in Hamtramck, Mich., beginning next year, according to the auto maker's recent agreements with the United Auto Workers union. The MPV, or multi-purpose vehicle, would have been based on GM's compact-car architecture, but capable of seating seven people.

Almost on time huh?

KIA/Hyundai, Mazda, Honda, Toyota might be all over the market by that time though. Oh well, more options...

Spy Shots: U.S.-bound production Chevy Orlando

Our spies have just caught a prototype out winter testing that appears to be the production Chevy Orlando that's destined for sale in the U.S. sometime during 2011. From what we can tell, the production version will be remarkably faithful to the Orlando concept that debuted at the Paris Motor Show last fall and was shown for the first time in North America at the Detroit Auto Show last month. As you can see, many of the panels visible on this prototype closely match those on the concept, including the rocker panels and wheel arches. The profile of the vehicle caught winter testing is also a dead ringer for the concept. While the front and rear ends are completely covered, one can easily imagine Chevy's corporate grille at the leading edge of a sculpted hood. Some things that have changed are the additions of practical, production intent door handles, side-view mirrors and headlights.

The Orlando will be built on GM's new Delta platform, which also underpins the upcoming Chevy Cruze compact car. It will replace the HHR in Chevy's lineup and feature seating for seven souls, two more than the tall wagon it's replacing.

Back