GM memo urges dumping Chevrolet's 'Chevy' nickname

:
2006 Mazda Speed6
chevyx-wide-community.jpg

For years, doomsayers have predicted that eventually Chevy would die. Now they may be right.

The Chevrolet brand will continue, but some General Motors executives are apparently pushing for killing the shorthand name, Chevy, the New York Times reports. GM, 61% owned by the federal government, says it is important to ditch the brand's name for "consistency," the Times quotes the memo as saying. Who knew?

So, um, we guess there will be a flurry of activity at Coca-Cola headquarters tomorrow on whether to banish the name Coke. Or might BMW be thrown in a tizzy over whether owners are still referring to their cars as Beemers.

From now on, Chevy employees are being told, think three syllables -- Chev -ro -let:

"We'd ask that whether you're talking to a dealer, reviewing dealer advertising, or speaking with friends and family, that you communicate our brand as Chevrolet moving forward," the Times quotes the memo as saying.

Calling it Chevy is now, apparently, moving backward.

BMW cars = bimmers
BMW bikes = beemers

someone should notify the NY Times. :)

not sure why this needs to be done, although now that i think about it, i really don't think i ever refer to chevrolets as chevys anyways. most of the cars i just call by there model name. i think its more the older generations that refer to them as chevys or maybe thats just me thinking out loud.

not sure why this needs to be done, although now that i think about it, i really don't think i ever refer to chevrolets as chevys anyways. most of the cars i just call by there model name. i think its more the older generations that refer to them as chevys or maybe thats just me thinking out loud.

I can't think of a time I've ever said "Chevrolet", and I'm not exactly what you'd call "older".

They can call it whatever they want, it isn't going to make a difference. I'll call them crap.

That being said, if your going to get rid of anything, get rid of chevrolet. Too long, sounds boring and old. Half the world doesn't even pronounce it correctly. Call everything Chevy. Think of the money they'd save on having a shorter name too...shorter badges lol

Here's GM's statement on ditching the name 'Chevy'

General Motors' memo urging that it try to get of the shorthand "Chevy" for Chevrolet is causing a firestorm, as we noted earlier today. You can also vote in our poll on the idea there.
chevy2x-wide-community.jpg

Chevy II grill emblem from the 1960s
grillx-inset-community.jpg

ClassicIndustries.com
And in case you think this was just a trial balloon, the New York Times noted in its story that these geniuses put a Chevy "cuss jar" in the hall at GM HQ -- say "Chevy" and you have to pay it a quarter. New Coke anyone?

ON DRIVE ON'S FORUM: Should taxpayer-owned General Motors be forced to keep the Chevy name?

Here's the full text of GM's press release issued today -- the non-denial denial on its attempt to ditch the nickname Chevy:

Today's emotional debate over a poorly worded memo on our use of the Chevrolet brand is a good reminder of how passionately people feel about Chevrolet. It is a passion we share and one we do not take for granted.

We love Chevy. In no way are we discouraging customers or fans from using the name. We deeply appreciate the emotional connections that millions of people have for Chevrolet and its products.

In global markets, we are establishing a significant presence for Chevrolet, and need to move toward a consistent brand name for advertising and marketing purposes. The memo in question was one step in that process.

We hope people around the world will continue to fall in love with Chevrolets and smile when they call their favorite car, truck or crossover "Chevy."

Finally GM making sense, the name change will make me buy one now, *sigh*

Who seriously says "chevrolet"???? who? I once owned a Cavalier for 5 years and didn't say chevrolet once I don't think.

I worked in a GM showroom for 2.5 years. It's all s***. they're worried about the names, and branding, never mind that they just recalled enough vehicles to wipe out their first profit in years. Poorly made vehicles from a poorly run company that is staying afloat on emotions and the past.

Chevygate 2010 continues. By now, you've probably heard all about the General Motors love/hate relationship with the Chevy nickname for its bread-and-butter Chevrolet brand. At first, the company seemed to be turning its back on America's pet name for the Bowtie brand before turning around and saying that the company downright loves it when the American people use the Chevy name, but it would be using Chevrolet in all of its branding and messaging for "branding consistency." The whole dust-up centered around The General's attempt to build a more easily identifiable brand in emerging markets. Or something.

Now GM's social marketing guru Joe LaMuraglia has turned out a video featuring Sales VP Alan Batey to attempt to quiet the teaming masses. You can hop the jump to see the full flick for yourself, just beware, shaky hand-cam ensues.

Batey says that Chevrolet is one of the fastest growing brands in the world, and that for every one Chevy model sold here in the U.S., the company moves two units overseas. In order to stifle any confusion as to whether or not Chevrolet and Chevy are the same brand, the company is simply going to use Chevrolet moving forward. Simple as that.

<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LaQXQmkMFGc&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LaQXQmkMFGc&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>

I guess I am biased, but most of the newer Chevy, yes I said Chevy, Car and trucks are leaps and bounds better than anything they have produced in the past. I currently own two newer Gen Chevy's and they both are very nice all around. I would put chevy , in its class against anything comparatively equipped and priced any day right now.

I still love some Mazdas, but get real guys and quit bbeing typical Fan Boi's.

Latest posts

Back