GI: New Intake Manifold

Status
Not open for further replies.
exactally what Maxx_mazda said

lol, why would we be discussing n/a setups in a thread thats in the boosted MSP area? =P

I get what your saying dude

but in a boosted application it doesnt really apply

air fills up the mass after a few seconds of being under pressure

its not like water, it doesnt contantly flow

it equally presses out in all directions...so no matter what length of the individual runners/etc...you will always get the same amount of boosted air going into each cylinder

I dont know much about the gtr you are referring to, so I dont know its turbo...in a N/A application where the air is being sucked in it would be advantageous, but in a boosted application it doesnt really make a difference except for the few seconds you are spooling up

a straight through equal length runner (like the 626) would work great

you are right about it, it has advantages, but only for a few seconds while you are spooling up boost...afterwards that whole space throughout the pipes and in the manifold all has equal pressure throughout it...granted you start to loose pressure after multiple feet of distance (i.e. your gonna have more pressure by the turbo than by the throttle body)....but between the opening of the manifold and the last cylinder's runner isnt enough to really make any difference at all
do not confuse pressure with flow... they are NOT the same thing

this reminds me a lot of the age old argument between big turbo and small turbo

I know the difference between pressure and flow...

but your arguement still only applies to n/a cars

your saying that by the time the air reaches the final cylinder's runner that it isnt putting as much air into it, correct?
well that is true in a n/a situation, but when you are running boost the difference between the amount of airflow into the final runner vs. the amount of airflow into the first runner is so minimal that it wouldnt make a difference to have a 626 style vs the gt-r's varied style

sure it has gains, but the cost between the two vs. the gains the 626 wins...if you drove a msp with a 626 mani and then drove a msp with a gt-r style mani (without knowing which was which) then you would never be able to tell the difference...and if you dinod (lol, how do you say that correctly) them next to each other I doubt you would see even a 1 hp increase between the two

lol, dont get me wrong man, not trying to bash you and say your wrong...just saying that its really a pointless difference between the two

honestly, I think these guys would be best off taking a 626 manifold and retrofitting it so the egr is in the same location as on the msp...and then reselling it ported and polished...they would make a killing and it would make our lives much easier to try and get the manifold and have the work done properly to them, and still be smog legal (the 626 will pass smog...if you run a different line for the EGR (remember Im talking california emmisions....really strict), but the new egr line might not pass visual...while the manifold itself the inspector would never know the difference)

Last edited:
I know the difference between pressure and flow...

but your arguement still only applies to n/a cars

No it doesn't.

...the difference between the amount of airflow into the final runner vs. the amount of airflow into the first runner is so minimal that it wouldnt make a difference to have a 626 style vs the gt-r's varied style

That is arguable... would depend on the car, boost level, setup, and could only be decided by some real world testing. My opinion is that it matters more than you think it does, especially the higher you go in boost and power.

honestly, I think these guys would be best off taking a 626 manifold and retrofitting it so the egr is in the same location as on the msp...and then reselling it ported and polished...they would make a killing and it would make our lives much easier...

I guess I just disagree with you here, but that can be done by anyone and is even already available pre-done. If you would like a PnP'd 626 manny, go get one. I would rather see these guys go all out and make the sickest, most highly tuned, most advanced California-illegal manifold ever. (spin)

edit- oh, and can I get one with 8 injector bosses please? ;)

Last edited:
well again man, Im not trying to bash the fact that there are gains, just not enough for most people to go for this instead

I agree that having this highly tuned manifold would be awesome, but they do have to make a profit....I doubt the numbers will be great enough different to justify spending well over 100 to 200 dollars more when you can sacrifice 5 hp to get the 626 instead

lol, they are in the business of making quality vs. profit, they wont spend all this time on making a highly awesome manifold that no one will buy cause the gains just wont justify the price

dont mean to start competition between protege garage and stuff...but from what I have seen the price tag on protege garage's manifold doesnt justify spending close to 200 dollars more than you can find a 626 for...and there arent much gains (I dont know the exact difference off hand)...if corksport can improve on an already good design, and a cheap to acquire design, then they will make profit and we should see some good gains between the two

and to the this point:
That is arguable... would depend on the car, boost level, setup, and could only be decided by some real world testing. My opinion is that it matters more than you think it does, especially the higher you go in boost and power.
yea that may be true, but the people who will be interested in seeing that extra 5 hp and have the money to throw into that without worry are the guys that already have serious mods done...and those that have serious mods done are propbably pushing more boost
and the more boost you are pushing the less and less of a loss in airflow you are gonna see cause the turbo will be kicking out more airflow itself....

Last edited:
neox.286 said:
I doubt the numbers will be great enough different to justify spending well over 100 to 200 dollars more when you can sacrifice 5 hp to get the 626 instead.

That is really just speculation until we see another manifold made and compared with the 626 manifold. Keep in mind that it was originally designed for an N/A application to have decent torque (long runners) without sacrificing too much high end. There are decent gains with it sure, but how much of that is attributed to the actual design and not just the removal of butterflies in the intake path? A manifold designed for boosted Proteges could yield a ton of gains over the 626 mani, we just won't know until it's done.

There are too many variables involved to definitivly say that the 626 mani is the best design to work from. Plenum design/volume, runner inlet shape, runner length, etc. The flow argument is interesting but is probably a mute point in this case. Derrick said that the manifold would be a direct replacement. I'm willing to bet that it's probably gonna be a log style manifold and not a symmetrical design. I don't see how one could be done without having to make a custom cold pipe to fit.

Last edited:
yea, I am curious to see if they can really pull more numbers out of the intake alone...and if they can then I would definately be in it to buy (thumb), but I would want to see the numbers first ;)

it seems too much talk and less work so far.

CS- how's this one coming off ??

Is it becoming a bit challenging for the performance expected or ........... ??

P.S ppl unless you making/have a prototype to back up stuff , talk is cheap , let cs use their "skills".
No offense but no one else is willing/able to produce TB for 3rd gen protoge's.
If someone thinks the model is not right just don't buy it but talking how to be done its not gonna work, they putting the time and $$ to do their s*** not "yours".

I should have a bit of information to post up here within the next few weeks. I need to finish up the fixture so I can make sure the EGR/TB are in the proper locations. I have a bunch of materials for the 3 manifold prototypes for the ideas I would like to try out. This is going to take some time.

How many of you out there are running non standard injectors on your MSP?

Derrick

when designing the new IM, make the EGR an option. unlike most people, i took off my egr cuz it didnt work with my turbo setup.

I should have a bit of information to post up here within the next few weeks. I need to finish up the fixture so I can make sure the EGR/TB are in the proper locations. I have a bunch of materials for the 3 manifold prototypes for the ideas I would like to try out. This is going to take some time.

How many of you out there are running non standard injectors on your MSP?

Derrick

I'm running 550cc injectors from NSN Motorsports. I believe that are Mopar injectors and i know a bunch of people are running 440cc wrx and 565cc sti injectors.

Plugging/blocking off the EGR will be easy enough for anyone to do. We are trying to get a setup which allows you keep the emissions controls if they are needed.

Plugging/blocking off the EGR will be easy enough for anyone to do. We are trying to get a setup which allows you keep the emissions controls if they are needed.

Thats a big+++, thinking for everyone's needs/options is very good choice.
I'm not running bigger inj now but i will when i get YOUR INTAKE MANY or if my piggy back goes online sooner i'd get them earlier.
And yes i want mine to be emission compatible, so i don't have to spend extra money to get inspection.
Are you suggesting a package deal w/ upgradeable inj ??

On my MP3 the larger fuel injectors were touching the intake manifold when you tightened down the fuel rail. I was just thinking out loud if I should make a little bit of extra clearance on the manifold for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back