Gear Shift Light

gregforma

:
CX-5
Hello. The gear shift on my CX-5 (ie the P R N D by the gear shift itself) does not light. Should it? If so, any suggestions about how I could get it to light would be greatly appreciated.

I understand that the P R N D does show up on the dash, but I want to light it up at the gear shift itself if possible.

Thank you so much in advance for your help. I really appreciate it.

2013-2014 with the gated shifter do not have the console gear indicator. 2014.5+ without the gated shifter do.

Last edited:
yeah, i checked when the lights are on, but the P R N D do not light. thanks for the reply...i appreciate it.

Just checked my 2014.5. Those lights come on with headlights. Even dimmed all the way down with the dimmer rotary, it is still lit to some degree with the headlights on. You might have a bulb out? (or LED) That whole panel is referred to as the "Shift Panel" in the service manual but there is no accurate diagram to show how it is lit. Type A if yours is not MY 2014.5 or newer. (Type B if it is straight style that was changed at 2014.5.) You should be under warranty to have that panel quickly replaced (if it is LED.)

On your other thread, SayNoToPistons says gated-shifters do not have lit up indicators though jmem52488 has a lit up 2013 model. Very confusing.

Just checked my 2014.5. Those lights come on with headlights. Even dimmed all the way down with the dimmer rotary, it is still lit to some degree with the headlights on. You might have a bulb out? (or LED) That whole panel is referred to as the "Shift Panel" in the service manual but there is no accurate diagram to show how it is lit. Type A if yours is not MY 2014.5 or newer. (Type B if it is straight style that was changed at 2014.5.) You should be under warranty to have that panel quickly replaced (if it is LED.)

Thank you so much for taking the time to look into it and to respond. I really appreciate your time and the information that you provided. Greg

On your other thread, SayNoToPistons says gated-shifters do not have lit up indicators though jmem52488 has a lit up 2013 model. Very confusing.

Yes, as I posted there too, I have a 2014 (gated shifter). It has both the backlit gate plan beside the shifter, and the readout on the left gauge of the cluster.

That whole panel is referred to as the "Shift Panel" in the service manual but there is no accurate diagram to show how it is lit. Type A if yours is not MY 2014.5 or newer. (Type B if it is straight style that was changed at 2014.5.) You should be under warranty to have that panel quickly replaced (if it is LED.)
Au contraire, mon ami. Part 55-431D and - 448B in the diagram below show that it's simply a bulb...

1K00HQ2.jpg

2013-2014 do not have an indicator on the shifter to display what gear is selected. 2014.5+ with the updated non-gated shifter do.

3rd gen MZ3 has the same shifter:
36-2014-mazda3-fd.jpg

If you have the the 2013-2014 GATED shifter and PRNDM does not light up in amber at all, check the connection and bulb. Remove the shift knob by rotating counter-clockwise and pry the plastic shfiter panel up. Or you can just bring it up to your service department.

Last edited:
Au contraire, mon ami. Part 55-431D and - 448B in the diagram below show that it's simply a bulb...

Ha. I looked everywhere and couldn't find that diagram. It was the one I was expecting to find.

Do you think I could swap it for an LED? (j/k)

Last edited:
Hello. The gear shift on my CX-5 (ie the P R N D by the gear shift itself) does not light. Should it? If so, any suggestions about how I could get it to light would be greatly appreciated.

I understand that the P R N D does show up on the dash, but I want to light it up at the gear shift itself if possible.

Thank you so much in advance for your help. I really appreciate it.

My 2013 CX5 gear shift does not light up either. There is an LED bulb under the PRND but it does not light up with the headlights on. I have searched the internet to only find others that have the same problem, but no answer to what the cause may be. I pulled all the fuses under the dash today, but found none that were burnt out.

Back