Gb: Msp Vibrant Exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leaning hard on the fence to jump on this list. I'm going to make a last offer on a used Ion system and then start seriously shopping around (didn't get a reply to my first offer). Those of you that have concluded that this system owns all, why should I chose it over the GHL or Perrin. I will (well ... I will) need to work on the s/j pipe if I pick this up, like a Corksport or possibly MP Nick's stage one mod on the stocker ... thus making the price a wash for all systems. Discuss. (drive2)

1. 540James
2. jeph
3. Panzozo
4. b00sted ...only if this will this fit with the corksport s pipe?
<!-- / message -->10.

I think a few of the guys from the original group buy have the s-pipe. Might be Titanium-99.

1. 540James
2. jeph
3. Panzozo
4. b00sted ...only if this will this fit with the corksport s pipe?
5. JarHeadSpeed

Bala de Plata said:
Leaning hard on the fence to jump on this list. I'm going to make a last offer on a used Ion system and then start seriously shopping around (didn't get a reply to my first offer). Those of you that have concluded that this system owns all, why should I chose it over the GHL or Perrin. I will (well ... I will) need to work on the s/j pipe if I pick this up, like a Corksport or possibly MP Nick's stage one mod on the stocker ... thus making the price a wash for all systems. Discuss. (drive2)

The dyno I posted was all stock except for this exhaust. The gains could be more with the s-pipe. I haven't seen the dyno sheets for the other exhaust nor have I personally seen one of the other exhaust so I can't comment on them. 30hp at redline at stock boost isn't bad. I'm running 9-10 psi now but haven't been back to the dyno to see the results.

haze20 said:
30hp at redline at stock boost isn't bad.

Isn't bad? :) Holy cripes! Pulling out that much power with an exhaust bolt-on is great. Do you have a link to where you posted the dyno results? Can anyone comment on the Perrin or GHL? Those ??? aside, this is looking like a great set-up.

Bala de Plata said:
Isn't bad? :) Holy cripes! Pulling out that much power with an exhaust bolt-on is great. Do you have a link to where you posted the dyno results? Can anyone comment on the Perrin or GHL? Those ??? aside, this is looking like a great set-up.

Here you go. The baseline was with the SP2. Look at the higher RPM's for the gains.

I found it.
The before.
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=40774
and the before and after.
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=40794

haze20 said:
Here you go. The baseline was with the SP2. Look at the higher RPM's for the gains.

I found it.
The before.
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=40774
and the before and after.
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=40794

Those are nice. The gain is pretty decent throughout, and really big near the top. That's about what I would expect from a 3" system. The gains weren't really big until the point where the engine needed the breathing room over the stocker. I think the Vibrant is really more than you need at stock or mild boost, but I also feel that if you're going to do much in the way of modding, go ahead and get it while it's available. They won't be making them forever.

So much for my theory that the Vibrant would hurt low-rpm torque...it seemed to help in those charts.

My butt-dyno experience with it over the last week seems to back this up. No major differences at lower rpm/lower boost, but it spools quicker and is more responsive, and as the revs climb you start to really feel the difference. It doesn't nose dive as it nears the redline anymore. I'm now running it without the silencer. The silencer does help some with the noise, but I'm getting more used to it without. It resonates & booms some with or without it, so you might as well leave it out. I probably won't have time to dyno until later in the week, but when I do I'm going to dyno with and without the silencer just to satisfy my curiosity. BTW, it turns out that some of my initial negativity towards the perceived lack of power was caused by a boost leak at the turbo to IC pipe. I'm loving it now! One more reason to take what you read on the 'net with a grain of salt, lol.

Last edited:
Some kid rear ended me last week and my car has 8 thousand dollars worth of damage and they didn't total it. It has not gone to the shop yet but i want this exhaust, but there is a problem, I kind of need some time for all this insurance crap to get done and what not. But as soon as it is all figured out I want to buy this. Is the deadline february 5th or is there some flexibility?

well, at this point with not enough people i guess the 5th is kinda outta the question. so, i am going to play it by ear..keep us updated.

My dyno appointment is at 1pm tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out. w00t!

haze20 said:
What PSI are you running?

I truly don't know, I don't have a gauge. I did check it once a year or so ago and was getting about 6-6.5 psi. I have a MBC but it's off the car. I'm not playing around with the boost at all until after 50k miles (and after I have a backup vehicle to drive in case I pop it.)

The dyno session went very well. We did three pulls, and this time their wideband O2 was installed in the bung in the Vibrant rather than using the tailpipe sniffer. The results seem to be much more accurate now on A/F.

And the numbers are... brb. Gonna run to the store and pick up a sixer. Muahahahah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back