Gas Milage.

:
2014 Mazda S Touring Sedan
What is everyone getting for their gas milage? The 2.5 is advertised as 32 combined, but I am getting ~26 avg. Is this something I should be concerned about? I am driving rather conservatively, and more city than highway.

That sounds a little low. Check your tire pressure. some people noticed that from the dealer they were ~3psi below where they should be.

It is cold temp and new car. Both factors work against MPG.
Also, I don't know about FL, but in CA, the winter formula gas sucks in MPG (at least 5% worse!).
I have been watching MPG since I own my CX-9 5 years ago (w/ ScanGauge-IIX installed).
I always need to re-calibrate for Winter gas, and dial it back in Spring.

For example, my wife does very short drives (2-3 miles) for busing kids. She gets 25-26mpg with our sGT (<2000 miles new).
When I do longer trips, I can get 32-40mpg depending on how fast I go.

It is cold temp and new car. Both factors work against MPG.
She gets 25-26mpg with our sGT (<2000 miles new).
When I do longer trips, I can get 32-40mpg depending on how fast I go.

That's exactly my experience. With quite a bit of short trips in this cold weather, I'm lucky to break 24mpg. A long cruze on the highway and it goes up to 37mpg+.

30.4 avg so far "the Cars computer calculation" with 470 miles, mixed 60 hwy 40 city. I am the slowest driver on the road period when doing this.
I do hope for a nice surprise when i start taking long trips this Christmases.

My last car 1991 Honda Accord with 487,000 miles was getting me 35-38 avg per tank always with the same 60/40 drive as my Mazda. Both had about the same power after allot of MODS was done to the Honda.

The mods I'm looking forward to on the MAZDA: Improved air filter + catless downpipe + custom ECO tune. I hoped two pick up 2-3 MPG with this. It is the challenge that I like.

The Honda was modded with about $1300 in parts with all free labor: Offroad pipe + Cattback exhaust + ignition upgrade + plug wires + Jet coated headers + rebuilt heads ported mild and polished same as intake + eco tune + I was able run very lean with my setup. A little afraid to do this on the Mazda because it is so new. Drove the car about 240,000 miles with this setup. I purchased this car from a friend in 1999 he had a 2 hour commute to work several days a week.
I ended up in the same situation and needed to get to best mileage i could get. This car was just cheap with low maintenance.

anyone else feel the gas meter is slightly off? I went down to 1 mile left according to the computer and it only filled up 11.02 gallons, this thing holds 13.2 gallons doesnt it? didn't want to risk running out of gas to try.

I've been getting 26-27 driving not very conservatively on city/freeway

anyone else feel the gas meter is slightly off? I went down to 1 mile left according to the computer and it only filled up 11.02 gallons, this thing holds 13.2 gallons doesnt it? didn't want to risk running out of gas to try.

That is typical for Mazda, "Empty" has 1.5-2 gallons in reserve.

I feel like it's more than slightly off. I've been noticing it changing drastically for no real reason. Like I get out of the car with 45 miles till empty and the next time I get in the car, drive for 1 mile and it now says I have 35 miles till empty. It only seems to do this when it's low. Conversely, when it's full, it seems like it stays full forever then quickly diminishes. I'm hoping it's just trying to learn as it only has 600 miles, but it's a little worrying. I haven't checked the manual to see how much it holds but I was only able to put in 10.5 gallons and that was when it was showing 11 miles till empty. (bs)

I am new to the forum and recently purchased a 2014 3i gt. I have already put 1800 miles on the car and have been averaging between 37 to 39 mpgs. My work commute is 70 miles roundtrip and it consists of 20% city and the rest freeway and back roads. I am a very conservative driver and try to get the best gas mileage possible. The best that I have done one way to work was 47 mpg according to the car's system. I hope this helps you when making your decision.

I am new to the forum and recently purchased a 2014 3i gt. I have already put 1800 miles on the car and have been averaging between 37 to 39 mpgs. My work commute is 70 miles roundtrip and it consists of 20% city and the rest freeway and back roads. I am a very conservative driver and try to get the best gas mileage possible. The best that I have done one way to work was 47 mpg according to the car's system. I hope this helps you when making your decision.

The OP has a 2.5 liter engine and yours is a 2.0L. That would explain at least some of the difference. The rest can be attributed to your mix of mostly highway, whereas the OP is doing mostly city.

What's your avg speed over those mpg and how fast do you drive on the highway?

On the freeway I am going 70 mph and on the back roads 55 mph in the morning; however, there are several traffic lights. On the way home there is a lot of stop and go driving.

Back