Gas Brand and Mileage

You have to also look at where everyone is, since in the US the actual contents of the fuel vary's. California will always get worse gas mileages out of everyone else because of oxygenated fuels, not sure about Illionis or elsewhere in the midwest. I know on the east coast we get none of that just nice 91-93 octane fuel and occasionally you can find 110 ocatane race fuel. Personally driving 70MPH + on the highway and with city driving I average 34-36MPG with 93 ocatane fuel, and I'm not particualar about brands.

Red baron, nothing magical, no magical fixes, with modern fuel management systems, (obd2) if there is a problem the mil will come on, failure will be stored along with ff data, now I will tell you that the air filter your using may cause air flow meter contamination (oil in filter gauze) that can affect proper air flow readings, also oil type and level and driving techniques all play a roll in fuel economy, I have seen on here by some to use too much oil when changing, all day every day have NEVER had 2.0 take more than 3 1/4 qts of oil, keeping the rotating assy out of the oil or minimizing the chances helps in efficiency. Air flow meter contamination will result in fuel trims being off mark, will seriously affect power negatively. nothing wrong with this type of filter however you have to be very carefull of excessive oil ending up on the afm sensor. Also keep in mind that any higher octane other than what the engine was designed to run on is a waste....

Last edited:
Thanks gaZOOM-ZOOM.

The afm sensor is located in the airbox, right? Tell me where it is so I can check. My K&N filter was factory oiled, I don't think there was too much. I was also using a K&N in my previous car and, like I posted before, I was getting 43mpg (Imperial gallon).

Motor oil I'm using is Castrol Syntec 5W50, replaced by my dealer (3.4L was used, I have the rest of the can at home), should be alright.

Let's say the afm sensor IS contaminated by K&N air filter oil, does that justify 33.6mpg (Imperial)? I am convinced that this car should be giving at LEAST 38mpg (Imperial), it only weighs 400lbs more than my 2000 Civic (has a 1.6L engine though, revs are also lower by 350RPM at 110km/h)!!!

Question : can the afm be cleaned, and how?

I'm quite sure I'm not the only one with this "crappy gas mileage" problem, please help us.

Last edited:
Red Baron, your oil is a little thick, I prefer 5w30, and no thicker than 10w30, last no. is high temp viscosity, remember to also check after engine has sat off for at least 5 minutes to verify that oil level is not past full mark, a couple mm below the full mark is fine, but never below min mark, some afms can be cleaned with elect contact cleaner then allow to dry before reinstalling, will have to research when I get back to work, on vacation now. Remember what I said about (obd2) if there is a problem it will let you Know by turning on the mil, more often than not you will not notice a problem, obd2 is very has very narrow parameters, if sensor goes out of range fault is set mil comes on. There has been no problems as you stated with fuel mileage, a little attention to the details are all that are needed. I also use MOBIL1, but I dont go excessive mileage on the oil as has been stated, oil filter can only hold so much. When it gets plugged it does no good. Attention to driving habits also kill fuel mileage, keeping manifold vac as high as possible I.E. not lugging up hills in the wrong gear, and holeshot starts. using a simple vac gauge to monitor engine load will let you know how to change driving habits to increase fuel mileage.

Last edited:
5W50 is all the dealer has in stock... I use to replace the oil myself, not anymore so I have to go with what they have.

When you say "mil comes on", what do you mean (my english vocabulary isn't complete unfortunately)?

Thanks

Red Baron, you do have a option on the oil, purchase your own before you go back for your next oil change, also make sure they they dont bill you for oil when you bring your own. MIL refers to malfunction indicator light, OR check engine light. cars of today are a lot different today than even 10 years ago, if no faults codes are set, and fuel trims are in check then fuel mileage is a direct reflection on driving habits. No to say you are doing anything bad, however, you will be amazed at what you may not see as habits that kill fuel mileage actually does, this applies to all cars nowadays, are you using the stock diameter tires? gear ratio also affects fuel mileage, tire pressure? At spec?. details details........... Have you removed your luggage rack crossbars yet?

Last edited:
i think in order to get that 29/30 mpg that the dealer claims...you have to be consistently driving like lets say around 70 mph for long periods of time. when i took my car to minnesota, and set the cruise for 70, i got a whopping 30 mpg everytime i filled up. sometimes even higher. but when i got home, i would get a crummy 24 mpg. but lately, i used less AC and drived a little more conservatively and got a pretty decent 26. lets see if i can get it up around 27/28...because that would be fantastic!!! :D

JDM, there are no dealer claims in print, the window sticker is an EPA estimate, this window sticker is JUST AN ESTIMATE. with a little attention to detail you to can get better fuel mileage than what you are getting

Gas Brand & Milage

For an engine rated at 87 octane, premium pump gas will only make your pocket book lighter. It will not do anything for milage or performance. However, gas brand may have something to do with milage. The biggest thing you have to watch for is the ethanol content of the gas. Ethenol will lower the milage of the engine using it. The Sunoco station near me has little signs on the sides (not the side the consumer normally looks at) that states that the gasoline they dispense contains at least 10% ethanol. Now I haven't run any of this through a P5 (my '03 is still in production), but my '92 Saturn coupe w/auto will lose 5 mpg (down from 37 mpg highway) on a tank of this gas. My wife uses this gas exclusively in her '97 Civic EX and complains that it doesn't get good milage. I fill up at the Union 76 station a block away from the Sunoco station. Jim

gaZOOM-ZOOM said:
Red Baron, you do have a option on the oil, purchase your own before you go back for your next oil change, also make sure they they dont bill you for oil when you bring your own. MIL refers to malfunction indicator light, OR check engine light. cars of today are a lot different today than even 10 years ago, if no faults codes are set, and fuel trims are in check then fuel mileage is a direct reflection on driving habits. No to say you are doing anything bad, however, you will be amazed at what you may not see as habits that kill fuel mileage actually does, this applies to all cars nowadays, are you using the stock diameter tires? gear ratio also affects fuel mileage, tire pressure? At spec?. details details........... Have you removed your luggage rack crossbars yet?

So MIL are idiots lights?

Tires are stock, pressure is checked weekly using a gauge I was using when I used to race karts (so, pretty expensive and precise), NO luggage racks on Canadian P5's.

I really don't know what to think...maybe I should shift at 3500 instead of 4000RPM...or just throw the towel and accept this car isn't fuel efficient :(

gaZOOM-ZOOM said:
JDM, there are no dealer claims in print, the window sticker is an EPA estimate, this window sticker is JUST AN ESTIMATE. with a little attention to detail you to can get better fuel mileage than what you are getting

sorry, that was what i was referring to. im getting better mileage every week now. :D

i get about 25-26 mpg all the time... i have 3600 miles now... i always get regular octane from the gas stations at the base! but i jus changed my oil last week, maybe my MPG will change(silverp5)

I believe there was a study some time ago where Amoco, Mobil and Shell came out as the cleanest/best brands of gasoline.

I'm personally a big believer in a bottle of Techron from Chevron at least a couple of times a year to really clean the injectors.

Oil past full mark on new p5

gaZOOM-ZOOM said:
Red Baron, your oil is a little thick, I prefer 5w30, and no thicker than 10w30, last no. is high temp viscosity, remember to also check after engine has sat off for at least 5 minutes to verify that oil level is not past full mark, a couple mm below the full mark is fine, but never below min mark, .....

I just took delivery of a new 2002 P5 on the the 10th of Jan. It had 79 miles on it, and has about 400 on it now. I checked the oil level right after my first fill up ( I filled up at about a 1/4 of a tank). I let it sit awhile, longer than five minutes for sure, and my oil level showed above the Full mark! What should I do?

More than likely it was added to during the pdi, In all the pdi's I have done, every one of them has been approx. 1/4" below full mark. I personally would wait if its less than a couple or three mm's. If Its in that rangeit's not going to hurt anything, however not ideal. Some say change oil after 300miles, others say 1,000 miles, Opinions are like(moon), remember to check the oil level prior to leaving after an oil change, you may also talk to the tech changing the oil, we don't bite, Zoom-Zoom

Cool, thanks gaZoom-Zoom ...

Excellent to know it will do no harm. It does seem, considering the context of the thread, that you indicated it would impact mpg more than anything. I do plan on doing the oil changes myself and hopefully more maintance than that if I have the means. The dealership shop is not rousing much of a trust in me. I plan on contemplating 'the what kind of oil' and 'the when to change out the frist time' based on the valuable advice and reasonings espoused here and in other sources.

I consistantly use Shell 87 octane gas. Never pinged yet. My best milage was 29 mpg, seem to be getting a consistant 25 mpg lately. I think winter additives tend to decrease fuel milage.

Re: Cool, thanks gaZoom-Zoom ...

yinzen said:
Excellent to know it will do no harm. It does seem, considering the context of the thread, that you indicated it would impact mpg more than anything. I do plan on doing the oil changes myself and hopefully more maintance than that if I have the means. The dealership shop is not rousing much of a trust in me. I plan on contemplating 'the what kind of oil' and 'the when to change out the frist time' based on the valuable advice and
reasonings espoused here and in other sources.
I personaly use mobil1 5w-30, However I dont go the 12,000-15,000 miles as claimed can be done, nasty oil is nasty oil,the filter can only filter so much, just my 02, that is a shame about your local dealer, check for a local dealer that is a QMD dealer. zOOM-ZOOM-ZOOM (usa)

What gas .......

Yo,

Through the year I have owned mine (old style auto), I have noticed that mine "shifts" better with 89 octane than with 87. It does not hold the 1st gear to 2nd gear shift as long anymore. I know that sounds crazy but I have tested this theory with 4 different tanks of gas and it is true (at least for me).....As far as brands go,,,,here in the South, a lot of us swear by "Amoco" brand gasoline. I am still averaging around 26-28 mpg no matter what i do ...

Taylor

Back