FWD or AWD ? Does It Make A Diff

I have the AWD because of where I live, but if I lived in California I would definatlety go with the FWD. On top of everything thats already been said the FWD model is 200lbs lighter, which will make it a tad quicker and more nimble. Definate plus on any vehicle.

FWD should be fine....no need in Cali.....more weight so worse gas mileage with AWD and more things to go wrong....how often does it come into play anyway!!

I'm not all that worried about traction issues in snow with just FWD. The main thing against the CX will be the crap tires.

My biggest complaint on my CX-7 is that it is NOT a RWD car. With the amount of torque the engine makes, it is kinda hard to hang on to the steering wheel if you step on it hard. It would have been perfect if it was RWD.

A Camero way of thinking:)

Too light in the butt for that. Like drifting a pickup truck.

Depends on where u live....

Hi. I agree with the statement that AWD is applicable depending on the conditions where you live. In Malaysia where it rains a lot, AWD has some added safety benefits. I currently drive the Mitsu Airtrek (Outlander to US folks) and the AWD has saved my hide a few times while taking corners. AWD on corners is spectacular. Now that I hv experience with AWD I probably won't go back to FWD unless price is an issue.

AWD inquiry

Hello all,
I'm a potential buyer for the CX-7 and I am also weighing the options for AWD and FWD. When the AWD kicks in, how long does it stay on? Does it only engage when slippage is detected? Has anyone driven their CX-7 in the snow with AWD or FWD yet? You guys do make a good point that a decent set of snow tires will help out no matter which drivetrain you have.

jcr200 said:
Hello all,
I'm a potential buyer for the CX-7 and I am also weighing the options for AWD and FWD. When the AWD kicks in, how long does it stay on? Does it only engage when slippage is detected? Has anyone driven their CX-7 in the snow with AWD or FWD yet? You guys do make a good point that a decent set of snow tires will help out no matter which drivetrain you have.

I've driven in snow with my FWD CX, stock tires, with and without chains and it wasn't bad. Tires are definately the limiting factor. They have no bite whatsoever. Only reason I put chains on was it was required to go over the Mt. pass. After that I took'em off and played on the much worse back roads. lol

I live in New York and I'm going with front wheel drive. All the cars I've owned in the last 10 years have been front wheel drive and I have never had a problem in snow. Don't expect to be speeding, learn to downshift, and watch for all the other jerks who think their huge SUV is going to protect them going 80 mph in a blizzard.

:)

yousif said:
I live in Los Angeles. Definately no snow there :p other comments on the AWD or FWD?

Thanks
I live in the D.C. area and there's no snow here the dealer told me not to bother with awd since it really doesn't snow much here and that fwd would get me through it easily.

FWD is faster than AWD if you care about that kind of thing :)

Byrnie said:
I live in the D.C. area and there's no snow here the dealer told me not to bother with awd since it really doesn't snow much here and that fwd would get me through it easily.

FWD is faster than AWD if you care about that kind of thing :)

No snow in DC? :bs:

Two or three in most years, with one being 'significant'. That's for the average year.

I live near Boston and I decided to go with FWD. Why? It's cheaper, and the added weight of the AWD equipment would take a bite (however small) out of gas mileage and acceleration.

And, for those few times a year when the AWD would actually make a difference? I've been driving FWD vehicles all my life and I've never managed to get stuck or spin out before. I'm quite familiar with driving in snow, and AWD just wasn't worth the money (upfront and in the long run) to me.

if u want to a CX which handles like a sports car, AWD is only way to go. i had a talon tsi FWD, then drove an AWD, there was no comparison. i guess the same is w/ the CX. FWD is fine though if u just drive totally normal from point A to B. i like to get alittle silly at times. also if we get snow i have nothing to worry about, even though FWD is not bad in snow either...

Handle like a sports car with AWD? You do realize that the CX-7 is not FULL TIME all-wheel drive. AWD only kicks in when the system detects a traction different between the front and rear tires, due to the front wheels slightly slipping.

Also, you could make the argument that because AWD is heavier it's not quite as fast ;)

I don't think the goal of AWD is to get a sportier experience. Not in a 2 ton CUV :p

Confusing AWD with TCS

CXRabbit said:
You do realize that the CX-7 is not FULL TIME all-wheel drive. AWD only kicks in when the system detects a traction different between the front and rear tires, due to the front wheels slightly slipping.

I think there is some confusion with regard to the AWD system not being full time... the TCS (traction control system) is the part that only engages when a loss of traction is detected, and TCS is a braking process that operates within the anti-lock system. TCS prevents a drive wheel from endlessly slipping and spinning free from a loss of "grip", such as a wheel that begins slipping on ice, because THAT is what you NEED to regain traction.

AWD is just what is says it is - all wheel drive, and AWD all by itself, does not have a meaningful advantage on ice because these systems need to detect resistance to work optimally. The old 4x4's were basically dual posi-traction, meaning that only ONE front and ONE rear were turning at any given time, and it would be the one with the MOST resistance.

Modern AWD systems are "dynamic", and CONSTANTLY distributing and redistributing some of the drive power to all four wheels according to the system's logic. These systems can sense the relative resistance or "grip" of each wheel, and direct either more or less of the torque based on that. You may not have all 4 wheels driving at the same time, but they all get equal time, with most often, a bias to favor the front wheels. Once lifted off the ground, AWD ceases to properly function because it can not detect any resistance.

It seems to me that the CX-7 can allocate up to 50% of available drive power to the rear wheels. Any one with an AWD model does indeed have all for wheels pulling rubber over the road. One of the big selling points on the RDX is that it has a system that can direct up to 100% to one side for optimal handling & traction while cornering. Some may argue the practical benefit or need for such a dramatic power allocation, and I would be one of them.

The best way to think of these systems may be to understand that ABS and TCS work through the braking system by monitoring & comparing relative wheel ROTATION. AWD delivers torque through the drive-train by monitoring & comparing relative wheel RESISTANCE. And that my friends is what make a vehicle sure-footed!

Over the past 30+ years, I have driven NOTHING but 4x4 and AWD - 1985 Dodge Ramcharger, 1992 Eagle Talon Turbo AWD, 1993 Ford Bronco, and 4 different Subaru Legacy GTs, and now a CX-7. If someone knows that I'm out-to-lunch on this, please make your case, but I think some are confusing the AWD for the TCS.

Does AWD make a difference over FWD? I wouldn't drive anything without AWD, and I haven't.

Last edited:
Its not like the 7 has any different gas mileage with or without AWD. On top of that, you will take a hit on resale value of FWD.

Back