future Newbie?

wopjob

Hi all. This saturday I will test drive a 2002 P5 with 25K miles. Mileage is low because it was a city car. Dealer said that they had replaced they tie rod ends.
It looks really good. what should I look for?

Look for a 5spd hehe! Don't know if it is your first car, but these are the basics I heard.

I don't know where you're from, but rust is a main factor around here. The hoods on Mazdas rust pretty fast so check it out, I had some on the two rear fenders as well (got it all fixed by Mazda on waranty). In the test drive, check anything you could hear/feel which doesn't seem right. 25K seems damn low for a 6 years old car, make sure it isn't too good to be true! (If the shift knob or pedals seem really used... it might be)

I'm not much into mechanic, so you might want some more technical advices, but I'd say, make sure you fall in love with it! And welcome to the best Mazda forum around if you join us! (drinks)

rust is the only thing i can think of that u can see visually without driving it. but if u are not in a rusty area (where theres snow for example) then that should be fine. just look at the edges of the body panels and the biggest places for rust are the rear wheel wells. Rust bubbles accumulate there, i have a rather large one on my driver side :(

Its a New York City car, hence the low miles. It probably hit a lot of potholes. This car has an Auto trans. The dealer told me that they replaced the tie rod ends and did an alignment.
It's a Mazda dealer. the PO traded it in for a new Mazda. Normally NYC people do not drive in the city. Price is 7K take home. which I think is good.
I'm not a kid, I'm used to working on cars, I have an 87 Alfa Romeo, a 94 Jeep Cherokee and a 90 Toyota Tercel (which the P5 will be replacing) that keep me busy. I'm surprised to hear about rust on the Proteges (P5) My sister had a 90? sedan and currently has a 2004? Tribute, rust was never an issue on her cars. go figure.

I think I'm passing on this. The auto was very sluggish, the car would just not move out of its way. gears 1,2,3 went fast by 4th took a long time to engage at about 4K rpm. The passenger side side skirt was missing. the rest of the car was in great shape some scratches, one about a footb long one on the side. No sign of rust anywhere, none. The engine had a light tapping noise but I later found that its normal. I saw a guy with a P5 parked on my street and asked him a lot of questions his engine sounded like the one I saw.
H etold him that the tires were hard to find and expensive. I really had a bad feeling about the trans. there was little evidence about the alignment problem that the dealer had mentioned before - the front tires were a little worn on the side, but the car handled GREAT and drove straight. This is the best handling car I've erver driven. How ever I had a bad feeling about the trans, and was put off by the missing side skirt. Unless someone in this board chnages my mind about the trans and tells me that the side skirts are available and cheap to replace, them I might change my mind.

thanks in Avance.
tg in NJ

everycar in the world is going to have har to find parts. id rather pay a little more for tires than an altenator or radiator. IMO the Protege is a car that you will get your money's worth. im at 130,000 miles and have not regreted buying this car one day. its a fun car that me and my wife enjoy driving. sure it may not be the fastest but it whips around corners at impressive speeds. i would much rather be able to avoid an accident in a split second than just be able to go fast. i am deploying to iraq next month and i am going to miss driving my car everyday! so like all cars there are pros and cons but its my experince with other cars that the protege is the most reliable and sporty/fuel efficent car i have ever bought. hope that helps you out.

how does your auto trans work? that is my main concern. I guess I can get a side skirt and tack it on, but a trans can be expensive to fix. I would like some Auto trans owner to chime in if possible.

Thanks Myrtle. this car had just a normal auto. the guy I met afterwards had a tiptronic too, and he also said that he had no problems. i JUST HAVE A BAD FEELING. I not a kid I don't care if the car is fast (my current beater is a 90 Tercel 1.5 4speed stick), but that was just odd, even my son who was sitting next to me thought that something was not right. Thank you for your input and best of luck in Iraq. Please come back safely.

no problem i love to help. like i said i was surprised on the reliablilty and handeling of the car. what ever you decide to do good luck!

well imo (tiptronic owner) just stick with D, tiptronic works well but some times it doesnt give the gear when you want it.

my tranny blew 2 weeks ago. and it was a 2K bill. if you were wondering.

If you dont beat on your car then it should be fine, + in tip tronic since i down shift,(shifting at regular RPMs as would it it were to change in D. below or around 3K.) my gas mileage was averaging 260-285 a tank. which compared to other autos and standards is way below average.

but the car is fun to drive, which i think is worth to buy just let alone that fact. the car is slow and there not much room for improvement, and since your somewhat near the city, your not gunna need it.

i say get it. : )

I'd say pass. After being in the market for a P5 and other cars for months, I can honestly say passing on some decent cars was well worth it. You will eventually find a car you like and feel comfortable with. I would never buy a car I have doubts about unless it was so cheap that the possible future repairs would still be worth it. Just my 2 cents.

I decided to pass. Thanks to all. If anyone is interested the car is located in Lodi, NJ at the rt 46 mazda. it has a few scratches and is missing the driver side skirt. Interior is in good shape.

Back