Fun poll: How Many Kids Fit

Mazda5 vs Kids

• Total voters
:
2008 Mazda5 GT
Safe to say we are all family men/women -if not will be. So, how many little ones do you have in your Mz5? Counting kids under 18 years old and includes in-law/half/adopted/borrowed children, and each child per buckled seat.

I'll go first. I have 2 in the middle.

By the end of the year... 3 car seats. Two facing forward in the back, one rear facing in the middle passenger side and one older child in the middle driver side. Our province does not recommend a child younger than 16 in the front. The last 3 are all younger than 4 yrs...

LeMoeCND

Two in the third row with booster seats, and one in the middle with a car seat. Ages 5,3, and 18 months. If we go grocery shopping we just move one kid from the back to the middle.

I can fit 3 (2 in the middle row and 1 in the 3rd row), but only on a "just-in-case" basis. I feel it is very tight and I don't feel they are very safe.

I traded-in one of my Mazda5s for a Honda van when we knew the 3rd one was coming :(, but on the upside we can fit the 3 car seats on the 2nd row now (all with latches), that to us is priceless

Attachments

• mazda5_3carseats_01012011295_cleaned.jpg
    mazda5_3carseats_01012011295_cleaned.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 120
Two in the middle, although one occasionally rides in the front seat now.

Yesterday we carried four seven-year-olds to a birthday outing. Talk about LOUD.

5 year old and a 3 year old in the middle now. In about 6 or so weeks they will get moved to the back row to make room for the twins.

One 4 year old in the middle row. I discovered how much easier it is to load adults yesterday when I put the car seat in the third row. I'm sure I'm the last one to figure this out.

Wow, to date, 3 others besides me that run at capacity. Anyone noticing a big decrease in performance or "wallowing around" when full? W/o gear (this is the smallest of our 3 vehicles, so it doesn't "go" anywhere very often) the family weighs in around 550 lbs, so I was wondering what it will be like when they grow, and we weigh more like 650 combined.

The other day I took my in laws and my family on a 200 mile road trip that included mountain passes as well as 75 MPH freeway. Total weight of people was about 875 lbs. Plus I had my Thule Atlantis 1600 on the roof. Talk about a HUGE decrease in performance. I had a hard time keeping up with traffic. I was really missing the power of my truck.

One surly teenager who hogs the passenger seat and ocasionally tries to bake the clutch (a ton of revs combined with glacial clutch pedal release). Fortunately, he hates everything about the 5 (ugly, slow, weak sound system, too many doors etc)

The good news is that he will be moving out in two years (;D+=

The other day I took my in laws and my family on a 200 mile road trip that included mountain passes as well as 75 MPH freeway. Total weight of people was about 875 lbs. Plus I had my Thule Atlantis 1600 on the roof. Talk about a HUGE decrease in performance. I had a hard time keeping up with traffic. I was really missing the power of my truck.

I don't feel like the low profile roof boxes hurt that much after taking a trip to Hilton Head with a 20cu.ft Yakima Spacecase on top. We still got 26+mpg with all 5 of us ~550lbs plus another 200-300 in luggage and the box and a/c running.

Gas mileage was still pretty good. I think I averaged just shy of 26 MPG for the round trip. I just didn't like having to be in 3rd gear doing just over 5k RPMs just to keep up with traffic through the canyon.

3 kids, most of the time rear-facing infant carrier and forward facing car seat in 2nd row, and 1 forward facing in 3rd row with 1/2 of the 3rd row seat down.
Vacation next week we are moving the infant to the 3rd row so the 5 year old can reach in and help as needed to calm baby... additionally, that makes room for 3rd adult behind the driver for portions of vacation - won't always be 6 in the car, just part of the time, most of the time it will be 5.
extra luggage will be on a trailer-hitch rack - cooler and rubbermaid container, pictures likely forthcoming after vacation on the 'storage and packing' thread.

Back