Fuel System - Air Filter

zoom-zoom 2

:
2011 Mazda2 Touring
Hi All!

Im a newbie to the forum and a proud owner of a Mazda2. Im here seeking help/clarification on the maintenance schedule for my car. It may be a silly question, but please bear with me. Ive been following Schedule 2 according to the owner's manual (service every 5K mi) and im at the 35K mark now. Under "Fuel System" it says the air filter needs to be replaced (and that it should have been cleaned at 15K and 30K). Is this the fuel filter? Or something else... I.e. cabin or engine air filter?

I called Mazda's hotline and they couldn't tell me (they can only look at the same manual im looking at apparently). They said a dealer should be able to tell me but I feel like they've been taking me for a ride recently.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

CameraZOOM-20120308084527667.jpg

Yeah, it's the engine air filter. It's considered part of the "fuel system" because the air filter has a direct effect on fuel economy.

Sorry to get here but nobody answers me, if engine air filter effects directly on fuel economy, I want to know if changing to a conic intake air filter will affect fuel economy.. positive or negative way?? I want to put the SRI of corksport, it really matters to me how much this will affect to economy. thanks

Yeah, it's the engine air filter. It's considered part of the "fuel system" because the air filter has a direct effect on fuel economy.

Great! Thank you so much MazdaTwo. I actually just replaced this myself not too long ago with the Beck/Arnley 042-1816 air filter ($13). Sure beats the $115 the dealership wanted to charge me for replacing the actual fuel filter :p

Thanks again! Ill be sure to frequent these forums for more help/tips in the future.

Sorry to get here but nobody answers me, if engine air filter effects directly on fuel economy, I want to know if changing to a conic intake air filter will affect fuel economy.. positive or negative way?? I want to put the SRI of corksport, it really matters to me how much this will affect to economy. thanks

I theory, a cone filter will give you better fuel economy because it is easier for the motor to draw in a large amount of cooler air. The problem is that you might have the tendency to drive more aggressively because you can hear the intake, so it might cancel out any improvements. You'd be pretty unlikely to see a decline in fuel economy though.

Great! Thank you so much MazdaTwo. I actually just replaced this myself not too long ago with the Beck/Arnley 042-1816 air filter ($13). Sure beats the $115 the dealership wanted to charge me for replacing the actual fuel filter :p

Thanks again! Ill be sure to frequent these forums for more help/tips in the future.

Wow. $115?! That's a lot of money. Are you sure that was for JUST changing the air filter?

Thanks! That explains all.

I think thats not a problem for me, I regularly use to drive agressively even I dont have one installed.

So if it does not affects, i think i will go for it soon. thanks.

Wow. $115?! That's a lot of money. Are you sure that was for JUST changing the air filter?

No, this is the price that they wanted to change the actual fuel filter, not the air filter for the "fuel system" ... hence the verification that I was asking for in my original post, which you so kindly provided :)

No, this is the price that they wanted to change the actual fuel filter, not the air filter for the "fuel system" ... hence the verification that I was asking for in my original post, which you so kindly provided :)

I was under the impression that the fuel filter on the 2's was actually in the fuel tank instead of inline.

I think thats not a problem for me, I regularly use to drive agressively even I dont have one installed.
g.gif

Back