Fuel Range Indicator has a mind of its own

sprintrps

Contributor
:
Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
This is strange. When I fill up my 2017 GT the fuel range indicator is (+ or -) 318 miles. After i start it up the 2nd time after fill up it reads...339 miles. Based on my actual numbers it should read 369 miles. What is strange is that we have 2 new CX-5s and the other one reads 404 miles after fill up. Any ideas?

It's based on recent consumption. Range at refueling is a guesstimate because it can't predict the future - drive it like grandma and you'll go further. It will constantly recalculate as you go. The fuel level sensor is also subject to shifting some.

Like others said, if you drive like a grandma, the range remaining actually increases....

I have not paid too much attention to mine at fill up in the couple months owing my CX5 but my prior Mazda 3 it would do like mention above, more of a rolling average to figure an expected range. I had a few fill ups while on a road to LA from Portland and it would start out over 500 miles to empty.

This is normal. Range changes depending on driving style, road conditions, what ancillaries are on etc

Also keep in mind, Mazda is conservative in the numbers that they show (at least in my experience). When I have taken my DTE down to zero I've still had almost 2 gallons left. The most fuel I've put in my 14.8 gallon tank is 13 gallons. That may partialy explain why your calculation doesn't agree with what is shown.

Also keep in mind, Mazda is conservative in the numbers that they show (at least in my experience). When I have taken my DTE down to zero I've still had almost 2 gallons left. The most fuel I've put in my 14.8 gallon tank is 13 gallons. That may partialy explain why your calculation doesn't agree with what is shown.
They always have a little left in the tank even when the gauge is on empty

They always have a little left in the tank even when the gauge is on empty

Very true. I guess I should add my gauge is 1 tick mark above "E" even when my distance to empty reads 0.

I have 15 miles left on range indicator - filled 11.7 gallons, 3.1 gallons left. Not sure if this is normal but it bugs me a bit. 14.8 advertised and only 11.5 usable. shat.

Well, I always trust DTE and MPG to the car computer. I read many times that MPG is different in paper compared with the car computer and my experience said that you never have an accurate MPG on paper since gas pumps cuts off a different stages. The only way to have a real reading on paper is filling it up to the rim every time without spilling any gas.

Good to know. I rolled into a gas station last week sweating it the whole time as I watched my DTE drop and drop and drop. Got to the pump and it said: 1. :D

I have 15 miles left on range indicator - filled 11.7 gallons, 3.1 gallons left. Not sure if this is normal but it bugs me a bit. 14.8 advertised and only 11.5 usable. shat.

eh? You can use all 14.8 gallons. At "0" you still have roughly 2 gallons left (+/- a few ounces depending on conditions) in reserve. All fuel gauges are conservative because people will commonly drive to "empty".

A guy used to be here ran his brand-new 2016 CX-5 GT AWD until the engine died with last drop of gas used. He drove 65 miles after the DTE showed 0.

And what happened to him? His CX-5 had a broken transmission at 10K miles. He drove his CX-5 from the Mazda dealer right to a Toyota dealer and traded his CX-5 in when he picked up his CX-5 with a replacement transmission! ;)

A guy used to be here ran his brand-new 2016 CX-5 GT AWD until the engine died with last drop of gas used. He drove 65 miles after the DTE showed 0.

And what happened to him? His CX-5 had a broken transmission at 10K miles. He drove his CX-5 from the Mazda dealer right to a Toyota dealer and traded his CX-5 in when he picked up his CX-5 with a replacement transmission! ;)

His Tranny broke due to running his tank empty. lol. It should only be impacting the fuel pump.
You can bet he is not doing the same with his Toyota - since they too are very conservative with safety fuel jejejeje.

His Tranny broke due to running his tank empty. lol. It should only be impacting the fuel pump.
You can bet he is not doing the same with his Toyota - since they too are very conservative with safety fuel jejejeje.
His test caused a debate that whether his action would cause the fuel pump to fail! He said he ran the same test for every new car he bought just to verify how many miles he could go when fuel gauge points to empty or the DTE says 0. But he has never had any fuel pump failed on him!

Well, he bought a Toyota Prius!

His tranny could be the bad ones that died on him. Good for him.
He has never had a new vehicle needing a new transmission at such low miles. Needless to say he was very disappointed and went for his next vehicle with one of the best on reliability. Unfortunately that was not good to help Mazdas low customer retention rate.

Back