Fuel Pump issue?

Google

I've noticed my 3 with only 30,000 miles on it and just over 5 years old that it's been having a harder time turning over. I went to Chevron and added some Techron thinking maybe it's a fuel quality issue. Then one day after sitting outside for the better part of day at work, I had trouble starting. Everything seemed fine with the battery and starter, but it just wouldnt start even after about 4+ seconds of turning the key.

I then reattempted to start after about 30 seconds. It did. I revved up the engine several times before I drove off. After driving for a bit I stopped in a parking lot and turned off the ignition and repeated the process a few times. Everything was fine.

Since then starting has been almost normal but it takes about 2 + seconds to start from the usual almost instant. I checked the wife's 3 that's a year newer and hers starts right away.

I am thinking it is a fuel pump issue because I typically fill up after the gas light comes on.

Does this sound like a fuel pump issue? If so, any idea how to know how much time I have left before 100% failure?

A cheaper thing might be to just check the spark plugs quick. Seems like a cold start problem. Just make sure they're ok first. I always start by checking the cheapest thing to fix and move up from there lol

just putting ideas out there but it could be any of these...1.battery low/dead...2.starter...3. starter solenoid...4. spark plugs...5. fuel pump. i'd start there and when you turn it over (when it does not start) is there a click sound or nothing? i had same problem with starting here and there when my starter solenoid was going out and low battery, it wouldnt start sometimes and other times no problems

Im having a similar problem with mine. except that the starter Just spins two or three times after its been sitting for a little while. problem just started yesterday and i don't drive like a maniac. Im thinking im going to be having to replace my started if this keeps up. any ideas?

wow i need to learn how to read gooder(better). just read the bottom part of your last post again. Howd you fix yours? replace the shole statrter or just the solenoid?

wow i need to learn how to read gooder(better). just read the bottom part of your last post again. Howd you fix yours? replace the shole statrter or just the solenoid?

haha thats ok... i replaced starter with a new one( it was rusty) but before u do that make sure(its not cheap for new starter) i got tools so i just broke it down... started at the battery(holds charge and when running its between 14.8V-13.7V i think)or(old Battery), then battery cables(the negative cable may not be grounded good enough or your terminals, spark, starter... thats how i found out i had a old battery and solenoid was bad

ps it could be fuel pump... but i think you would have weird idle and cut out at low idle.. something like that

Last edited:
Back