Fuel Pressure/possible problems

f1yen

:
Mazdaspeed,Protege
Checked my fuel pressure last nite.

Idle sits around 45 psi spec was 30-36 at idle :(
Pull off vac, hose on FPR = and even 50psi
2 min engine off leak holds good pressure, as well as 5 min fuel pump leak down test, flying colors.

I checked the pressure on my return line, looks like 7.5 psi...

Could the Walbro pump be causing me these problems?
Anyone else checked their pressures with the walbro installed?

Also, to confirm my suspicion (with the loud walbro fuel pump i noticed this), the fuel pressure fluctuates by 2 psi up and down when the blinkers/flashers are on and off.
I don't know if this means anything, I thought the FPR would be faster than that...

I have a walbro 255 too, but I never checked the pressure. Lol sounds like a weed-eater in the back seat.
But it does change pitch when I use the windows and there accessories. Also when I switch the lights on. Haven't noticed it while I'm indicating.
I think it's that this car has an ecu regulated alternator, anything that turns on has an effect on the entire electrical system.i could be wrong but I think it's just something with the way these cars are wired
I don't think there isn't any real issue, I mean that pressure regulator was made for a weaker fuel pump so I'm assuming its normal for it to test higher psi then a stock pump. As long as your injectors can function at that psi and fuel map is set up for it, it's fine.

I had the walbro 255,my gauge ( which is fitted to the perrin fuel rail) reads just about 35. I have since switched to Deatschwerks 265 and it reads the same

Darn, maybe its time for a new fpr... :( , Or i will wait to see how it drives with cleaned injectors.

cleaned injectors (Witchhunter performance had over 3% variance, now under 1%), now the car idles great, the WB shows very little fluctuation at idle, and stays close to 14.7 while crusing 14.5 - 15.0 abouts.
Also changed to a new fuel filter in the gas tank. Still have not bought the FPR, I have a spare one, and checkd that one, and it shows the same over pressure problem... I don't want to buy one just to find out it works the same as these other 2. I think the walbro pushes too much fuel at idle to regulate it.

This may explain why when I return to idle, push clutch in, let it drop down, when it catches itself, it drops into the high 10's (~10.8) and then trims itself back up to 14.7. I think this is how the ecu jumps out of open loop, it starts with a known pulsewidth that should get it within the ballpark when returning to idle, but since my fuel rail pressure is above spec (too much flow for fpr) it drops down real low before it can return to 14.7 afr.

TURBOJ1, these fuel rails both had the stock fpr? or an aftermarket one?

Back