Fuel economy example

My 10 mile trips are in the high twenties. The highway miles bring the average up. It’s really dependent on traffic though. In heavy stopand go the mileage drops of course.

Most of my trips are urban with very little freeway/motorway driving included. Therefore figures would be around 9-10/10.5 L/100km [22.40-26.13 USMPG]

The one above was a mixture of urban and motorway and was about 1.5 hours in duration. I was pleased I bettered the official combined figure.

Last edited:
Most of my trips are urban with very little freeway/motorway driving included. Therefore figures would be around 9-10/10.5 L/100km [22.40-25.57 USMPG]

The one above was a mixture of urban and motorway and was about 1.5 hours in duration. I was pleased I bettered the official combined figure.

I am sure your mileage will improve as everything breaks in. I noticed a jump around the 1500-1700 mile mark. At the 1700 mile mark I dumped the factory oil for Valvoline synthetic as I like to change out the FF early on. That’s a personal preference.

I am sure your mileage will improve as everything breaks in. I noticed a jump around the 1500-1700 mile mark. At the 1700 mile mark I dumped the factory oil for Valvoline synthetic as I like to change out the FF early on. That’s a personal preference.

Good to know. Thank you (thumb)

So far urban driving fuel consumption is within my expectations.

Note: Official urban consumption here is 9.2 L/100KM [25.57 USMPG]

Fuel economy indicator in CX5 is a calculation, it is not an exact mpg. Its an approximation. This approximation works well for some style of drivers or some commutes and it does not do well for others.
Even if you fill from the same pump - it is still not an accurate enough measure due to many factors. I have always seen dash mpg to be about .5-1 mpg less than what I receive.
My personal best on a mixed commute is 37.3 mpg. I had a time when morning commutes would be north of 34 mpg regularly. My best highway mpg is a different story. never hit above 32.5 ever.

Fair enough.

I'm going by the economy indicator since I have other things to think about and do rather than try mental calculations for fuel consumption. Been relying on onboard figures for over 10 years now and for me, it's good enough.

As always, each to their own :D

Even if the fuel economy figures in absolute numbers are not very exact they nevertheless serve as a trend monitor. For example comparing my winter consumption of 8.2 lit/100km to now summer consumption of 7.5 lit/100Km. There are of course few confounding factors and they are 1) the car is is still settling down at 8000km, so it can still improve 2) the petrol station and different brands of petrol, even though they are all advertised as 95 octane. I am quite happy on the whole since my BMW E91 never gave me more than 8.2lit/100km and that too being 100Kg lighter than mazda and being a two wheel drive vehicle compared to Mazda CX-5 with all wheel drive.

I am quite happy on the whole since my BMW E91 never gave me more than 8.2lit/100km and that too being 100Kg lighter than mazda and being a two wheel drive vehicle compared to Mazda CX-5 with all wheel drive.

And that is all that matters :D

I do not trust the computer. This stems from my experience with previous Mazdas, where it always consistently displays a higher AVG mpg value compared to manual calculations. I also do not know how the computer calculates MPG, so I cannot trust it. I can trust dividing miles by gallons, so I go with that.

Why should we not track our MPGs unless we drive a Prius? Maybe if we were driving pick-up trucks or full size SUVs we shouldn't, since their MPG is horrendous anyway. But current Mazdas are supposed to be fun and fuel efficient, at least that's what I think.

I just finished a roughly 20 mile trip. 10-15% city and the rest rural highway (50-60 mph). Fairly flat except for a half mile hill at the end. 11% grade.

Trip odometer reading was 37.1.

The only reason I tracked with the Android app was to see how accurate the car app is. I also care very little about mpg.

Latest posts

Back