Fs-ze swap

DubieDoo

:
03 Mazda Pro5
So I've recently swap out my fs-DE out of my 03 pro5 and put in the fs-ze, which did not come with the wiring harness.. (my own fault for not making sure) however, I tried using my factory Harness (obviously didn't work) now I have no spark and no power to the fuel pump. I'm in need of the proper harness for this fs-ze engine. And a new ecu wouldn't hurt either. I just can't seem to find either of these anywhere..

Thanks for any feed back.

Did you switch over the harmonic balancer and cam gears? It should still run.

The crank sensors are different, you need to switch the balancer and sensor over from the USDM engine.

If there is no crank signal, you will have no spark or fuel pump.

Did you switch over the harmonic balancer and cam gears? It should still run.

I havent swapped anything, i got the motor and put it in, other than putting in a better clutch as i was there.
after some calls and more searching im stating to lean towards possible issues with my factory harness which i will have to trace threw to find if there is something going wrong.

its just odd to me that im getting no spark and fuel pump wont kick in as every other component seems to run fine. Will turn over and everything.

Thanks a bunch guys. After a year of struggling to find my issue she is now up and running.

The crank sensors are different, you need to switch the balancer and sensor over from the USDM engine.

If there is no crank signal, you will have no spark or fuel pump.

MrGiggles, does the FS-ZE run fine with the FS-DE ECU as long as you swap over the for mentioned sensors? I've heard stories of the engines (FS-ZE) running poorly on our stock ECU even with the sensors swapped. I would imagine you have a link to all the work you did. I just want to know how it's been running for you and what changes you've made since the swap.

(edit) I'm an idiot LOL I just saw your link for Haltec 500 lol. So you are getting the true power out of your FS-ZE now?

Last edited:
MrGiggles, does the FS-ZE run fine with the FS-DE ECU as long as you swap over the for mentioned sensors? I've heard stories of the engines (FS-ZE) running poorly on our stock ECU even with the sensors swapped. I would imagine you have a link to all the work you did. I just want to know how it's been running for you and what changes you've made since the swap.

(edit) I'm an idiot LOL I just saw your link for Haltec 500 lol. So you are getting the true power out of your FS-ZE now?

Runs like a champ, absolutely perfect. I'm running the FSDE ECU, intake, and all sensors, except for the ECT and knock sensor.

I really haven't done much besides change the oil and drive it. I've got almost 20k on it now, been getting 26-29mpg regularly, mostly on the highway at 75mph.

I haven't ever ran it on a dyno, so I really don't know how much power it's making compared to the stock engine.

Whenever I get some free money I would like to do the MP3 reflash, but my spending money is tied up in other projects right now.

I am 2 hours south of you MrGiggles in Mountain Home. My son's FS-Ze swap is also running just fine on the stock ECU. You will need to run premium fuel though because of the higher compression.

Back