Frozen/stuck brake caliper

11B-33T

Grumpy Vet
:
MSP 2003.5, Laser Blue
yep the title says it all. Talking about a 1992 LX here, removed the rear brake calipers & replaced the brake pads; e-brake is off and cover off the brake cylinder; used C-clamp to compress caliper piston on L/rear & mounted just fine. Attempted same technique on R/rear caliper but the piston will not compress to allow me to re-mount the caliper. Any input is appreciated..

(cricket)...no one eh?

I'll post the solution/fix to help someone for future reference. My friend showed me that I gone the hard route by removing the entire caliper.

1993_mazda_protege_4_dr_lx_sedan-pic-3961088870386002011.jpeg

I copied this pic from carguru.com for visual reference.

First we removed the brake pads, then re-installed the caliper assembly.

Next we removed a different bolt on the caliper that allowed us to rotate the assembly upwards but still kept the caliper aligned with the rotor. Installed brake pads & hardware then simply rotated the caliper assembly down over the rotor.

Took less than ten minutes and was so simple all I could do was shake my head after trying for a couple of hours. This one goes in the 'aw-sheitz' book for posterity..

for the rear calipers you need a special tool or use your hands if you strong enough to rotate the piston-in clock wise like your screwing in a screw in the wood, the tool would be helpful since it makes it easier to rotate the piston in but not the only way to rotate it in.

So keep in mind to not press in but screw it in clock wise for the rear piston, the rest of procedure to replace pads is the same as the front.

Now someone responds! Ya got a pic for said special tool? I had gone to Autozone and got their generic kit but the piston has no notches or grooves for the universal heads to grab to allow the piston to be turned.

no special tool required but a hex wrench. In the back of caliper there should be a bolt, 14mm i think. Take it off, it's very short, and look inside. Youi should see a hex bolt. By turning that you move the piston in and out. the repair manual goes through it nicely. This is only for the rear brakes, and you have to calibrate it for the parking brake to work correctly afterwards. PM me if you have more questions.

Back