Front stabilizers

col200

Hey folks,
Just got new belts/pump installed on my '03 MP5 and was told I needed new (or repaired?) front stabilizers. I can't seem to find much on it with the search function. Is that the front sway bar? Is this something I could do myself?
(My mechanical skill with this car has basically just been replacing pads/rotors and swapping my summer/winter wheels...oh, and rust repair over the rear wheel wells(unamused)).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

Stabilizers? Like, endlinks or sway bar bushings? Not sure what you (or your mechanic) was referencing. I would ask him to describe it further and then post back up.

On my invoice, it reads: Front Stabilizers links are loose. Right is broken.
I'll try to get under there and take a look. If one is broken, I should be able to see that. I'll try to post a pic.

Yep! Sounds like 'end links' to me!

A tough job (hard to take off due to rust on the hex(it strips)) trying to take the nut off. Consider having a mechanic do it.

I got my new endlinks today and need to swap out my winter tires anyways. Gonna give this a shot. Sounds like a dremel can be used if the endlinks are stuck. I'll try the PB blaster and breaker first, but am prepared to cut the bolts if need be. Once they're off, there's nothing to do but bolt the new ones on, correct?

They are just a bar linking your sway bar to your strut. They seize up badly though, and to remove them you have to have a hex head key or socket to hold the stem while using a wrench to turn the nut. Usually you can break it loose without the hex key, so try pb blaster and a breaker bar first. But once its loose, you gotta use the key and a wrench.... Thats if you can actually get it off (unlikely, good luck though)

Anyway, its a direct swap. 2 bolts to take it off, 2 bolts to put it back on. Nothing special to install either. Just fighting the nut.

Take my advice, and put your new endlink up to your old one and make sure they are the right length. I bought some endlinks from RockAuto recently and they had them incorrectly marked, so my new ones were to long. I didn't look, and cut my endlinks before I realized the mistake. Rendering my car useless while I reordered the part.

If you need help, PM me.

sweet. Thanks for the tips. I got an email from Rockauto telling me that they were the correct part for my P5 so hopefully the boxes were marked correctly. I'll try the breakerbar/PB first and go to the dremel/angle grinder last.

So at least one of mine is shot, but I might as well replace both.

My question is, will an auto parts store like NAPA have these or do I really need to order them online?? If so, where would you recommend? I'd don't need any parts mixups.

Autozone had mine.. but they were twice the price of Rockauto. And Rockauto ships fast, so I would recommend doing it that way. Just make sure you get the right length..

Anyone have the exact part number(s) at Rockauto? I see a list of at least 5 on the drop down menu. Thanks.

Back