Front Head Restraint- aftermarket? Bend post? Scavenge from other vehicle?

angrytwinkie

:
CX-5 Touring 2016
Hey, all.

I have good posture and love everything about the CX-5 except for the front head restraint angle. It's way too far forward. I've read it was designed for a 25 degree lean back, but that much lean back creates its own anatomical issues (compensations). I'd like to be able to sit at around 100 degrees, but that headrest makes it impossible.

It's a shame the IIHS seems to build their testing protocols around excessive kyphosis/forward head posture.

Have any of you bent the posts?
Has anyone tried transplanting a front a head restraint from another vehicle or from an aftermarket manufacturer?
Does anyone have info on the post diameter?

My wife and I hate these too-much-forward and tall front headrests on CX-5 too. They're at least 20 more forward and 5" taller than the headrests of our older vehicles. My head has to lay against the headrest and there is no space between them. I saw someone turned the headrest 180 on another car which may help to create some space. But this may jeopardize the safety of the head protection though.

I hated this too when I first got the car, but over a fairly short period of time I got used to it and no longer notice. Try experimenting with different seat position settings. I found a good position where the headrest isn't an issue.

I typically keep the back of my seat angled such that there is ample distance b/t my head and the headrest. As already stated though, too much leaning back back creates other anatomical issues. I don't know about how others feel, but I cannot drive with a coat during the winter - it makes me feel too constricted. That said, I often find myself wishing there was more cushion or padding (which a coat would feasibly provide). The firmness of the leather seats is actually the only dislike I have with the car, but it is a sizable disappointment.

They aren't as bad as some other cars. Folks have a Ford CMax, now those are far forward.

The problem is the seat design is built around normalizing a pathology. No bueno, going to bend the posts and deal with it, thanks.

You might try adding a back cushion to move your body slightly forward in the seat away from the head cushion.

Back