front end squeak mystery

kms1990

:
2011 mazda 3 hatchback GT
i did the clutch, so had to remove cv axles and was recently in a minor accident in the front, but this started before the wreck. When i brake or turn left at low speed, it squeaks like a metal to metal squeak from wheel, but not like brake squeak or even wheel bearing. it sounds like something is rubbing. any ideas? alignment is 100% good and still turns and brakes fine even with noise. brakes were done 7-9 months ago about 6000 miles on them. almost sounds like a dust cap rubbing to me, but its driving me crazy the noise is annoying and embarrassing

I have the same issue! I'm starting to think mine is warped brake rotors, cuz my steering wheel shakes when braking from higher speeds. Do you notice surges in braking power at lower speeds?

... it sounds like something is rubbing. any ideas? ...

Check your dust shields that wrap around your rotors,... you could have a spot rubbing on your brake disk.

Mine were rusted pieces of crap (and rubbing),... I just pulled them off,...

Sounds like the same or similar issue I'm having. Mine comes from the right wheel when turning right. Happens when slow and fast (freeway on ramps). Sound goes away if I'm tuning right and braking. This problem surfaced a few months after I had the rotors and pads changed. Since it comes from once side, perhaps we should switch the rotors and see if the sound switches too. Or take off the dust shields on the affected side. My brakes work great btw.

Last edited:
no noticeable braking issues just noise, nothing actually performing wrong. mine happens on slow left turns and when braking but not while driving(i have stuck my head out and listened)

Last edited:
Would you be able to capture the sound with a video?
very hard, its on drivers side so holding a camera while driving and turning in a stick shift would be difficult. i think i found it, however, the metal "shield" behind the rotor toward the front is what i think my noise is coming from, i reached in today and messed with it some and it changed the nature of the noise. now its mainly when braking and only rarely when turning(left only, as before) without braking as well. i am gonna have to take the wheel off to get a good look at it, just need to find the time.

I had the same thing happen and one guy sent in a video of the same noise (he set the camera on a curb then drove by,...)

It's usually this part that flops around and touches,...

dustshield_zps92b0fa8a.png

You should be able to crank the steering wheel to see in there enough to bend the shield out of the way.

These dust sheilds are easily bent when changing tires/etc... get both front wheels up in the air and put it in neutral so you can spin them and see if you hear it.

i did the clutch, so had to remove cv axles and was recently in a minor accident in the front, but this started before the wreck. When i brake or turn left at low speed, it squeaks like a metal to metal squeak from wheel, but not like brake squeak or even wheel bearing. it sounds like something is rubbing. any ideas? alignment is 100% good and still turns and brakes fine even with noise. brakes were done 7-9 months ago about 6000 miles on them. almost sounds like a dust cap rubbing to me, but its driving me crazy the noise is annoying and embarrassing
I kind of had something like that. I had recently done brake work myself where the caliper piston had froze and the pad wore down to the metal. It was almost sounding the same so I thought the pad wore down again and the piston was ruined again.
I took off the wheel, lifted the wheel caliper to inspect it, the pads, pad springs, pad brackets... I saw no issues. I clamped the caliper back down, screwed in the caliper bolt, put the wheel back on, the sound went away. Weird.

i think the shield on driver side was what caused it, i bent it some and it helped and did it again after turning wheel for better access, we will see. i must have bent it taking out cv axle or when i did the struts and not noticed

FYI I got rid of the noise. My noise was coming from the passenger side when turning right, so I removed and took apart the whole brake assembly, used brake parts cleaner here and there, made sure everything was sitting flush, putting everything back together. The noise has been gone for a week. Didn't really know what I did to fix it, but I'm glad it's gone.

Also, if you think of doing this, you need an 8mm allen key bit for your ratchet to take of the caliper.

mine was a brake caliper slide that lost its lubrication and was letting a pad ride some. it wasnt floating right and when i would turn left or hit brakes it would rub at times and made the noise. new pads (to fix uneven wear, and to get good harder material ceramics) i feel the ones on there werent a good formulation. then i lubed up the slide with heavier grease so it wont lose it again.

Latest posts

Back