Fresh Tranny Fluid!

jaydubz

Hey there Guys, just wondering what a standard transmission fluid change will run me and if most think it is necessary or beneficial? I have approx. 5000 miles on the car now and just switched out my oil to Castrol Full synthetic, I have had a few gear grinds going into 3rd and wanted to put some fresh fluid in there and remove any slivers of metal.

Any bad effects of changing out tranny fluid so early?

Hey there Guys, just wondering what a standard transmission fluid change will run me and if most think it is necessary or beneficial? I have approx. 5000 miles on the car now and just switched out my oil to Castrol Full synthetic, I have had a few gear grinds going into 3rd and wanted to put some fresh fluid in there and remove any slivers of metal.

Any bad effects of changing out tranny fluid so early?

I think you're a little late actually. Most of us I believe have been switching it out as early as 1000miles.

However, I wouldn't worry 5000miles isn't much and I would recommend that you change your fluids using a full synthetic. Gear grinding sucks right? Been there done that..(stoned)

When I switched to Amsiol full synthetic at about 2300 miles my gearing and clutch were smoother and easier to engage. Defiantly a plus!

Last edited:
I think you're a little late actually. Most of us I believe have been switching it out as early as 1000miles.

However, I wouldn't worry 5000miles isn't much and I would recommend that you change your fluids using a full synthetic. Gear grinding sucks right? Been there done that..(stoned)

When I switched to Amsiol full synthetic at about 2300 miles my gearing and clutch were smoother and easier to engage. Defiantly a plus!

Awesome advice MS3077, by chance did you happen to get this done at the dealership or did you do this by yourself?

And what was the cost? I assume that the early change was just to get the good s*** in there, so how before next fluid change on these performance synthetics. Do the have a longer life? thanks

Awesome advice MS3077, by chance did you happen to get this done at the dealership or did you do this by yourself?

Done at the dealership. Total cost $159.04 for Amsiol full synthetic transmission and motor oil change.

And yes the full synthetics have a longer life. I believe they told be every 5000 - 7500 miles for an oil chance with Amsiol full synthetic.

Christ, $159? I used to get a tranny fluid change on my Acura Integra for $75 at the dealer.

Change interval depends on how hard you are on the tranny. I think 5000 is pretty often. Manufacturers recommend 30,000, though I think once a year is probably a better idea.

Christ, $159? I used to get a tranny fluid change on my Acura Integra for $75 at the dealer.

Change interval depends on how hard you are on the tranny. I think 5000 is pretty often. Manufacturers recommend 30,000, though I think once a year is probably a better idea.

Amsiol is expensive

The $159.04 included the motor & tranny fluild.

$99.97 for just the tranny fluid. 3 QTS @14.99 a QT = $44.97
Laber= $55.00
It's worth it.

Last edited:
good info, I will try to do a change this weekend, I think it would be a good idea due to the grindage that I have experienced. Also I wonder why every mazda dealer that I have heard of has switched to amsoil for their fluids?

Last edited:
good info, I will try to do a change this weekend, I think it would be a good idea due to the grindage that I have experienced. Also I wonder why every mazda dealer that I have heard of has switched to amsoil for their fluids?

Amsoil is good s*** basically

I would hightly suggest you guys change you own tranny fluid and save $55,Its only 2 bolts and takes less then 30 minutes if you are slow.Its so easy a cave man could do it.

Too damn cold here, and I don't really feel like sliding under the car on cold concrete.

For $55 I'll just sit in the customer lounge at the dealer and watch TV and drink some free bottled water. ;-D

I would hightly suggest you guys change you own tranny fluid and save $55,Its only 2 bolts and takes less then 30 minutes if you are slow.Its so easy a cave man could do it.

You know I would actually do it, but I have never done it before and would worry myself sick if I did not put in the right amount of fluids or torque everything down properly. It is a pretty serious change when you think about it.

Does anyone know what tranny fluid i should use? if I bring my own parts to Mazda and have them just preform the change for me.

Too damn cold here, and I don't really feel like sliding under the car on cold concrete.

For $55 I'll just sit in the customer lounge at the dealer and watch TV and drink some free bottled water. ;-D

+2

cold ass driveway ftl

I'm down for paying the Stealership, but it's not just the $55 though. I also don't have to lug around a pan full of Tranny fluid, have it sloshing around in my trunk, while I head to some Oil change place to dispose of it!!! (drinks)

Matt

$50 for the work at the dealer and $30 for 3 quarts of redline mt-90 sythetic transmission oil, total cost $80. Results Priceless. Shifting is silky smooth now and the fluid warms up quicker in colder weather. Even my tech commented on how well the fluid works. You need to order it online, I got it from amazon. Most ms3 owners are using this fluid with great results.

$50 for the work at the dealer and $30 for 3 quarts of redline mt-90 sythetic transmission oil, total cost $80. Results Priceless. Shifting is silky smooth now and the fluid warms up quicker in colder weather. Even my tech commented on how well the fluid works. You need to order it online, I got it from amazon. Most ms3 owners are using this fluid with great results.

Is the MT-90 the same specification as the stock Mazda Tranny fluid?

I think the bigger question is, who makes the Mazda transmission fluid?

(and the Mazda motor oil, if such a thing exists)

Back