Fresh plugs

Replica

SHARP TOOTH!
:
Mazda2 Touring
So i noticed my car had a bit of hesitation around 5,000 rpms. I decided to just change the plugs and bingo, that was it. Car pulls like a raped ape again. The stock plugs had weird orange stuff around the base on the back of the plug that goes into the wire. Not sure what that crap was. Also, interesting to note, based on the black stuff on the sides of the plug, it looks like cyl 1 and 4 are a little rich and 2 / 3 are a little lean. Does this motor throw 1 and 4 then 2 and 3?

what kind did you replace with? you were still running stock plugs??? i replace mine at least every 10k

and, i think i have heard that before...the 1-4-2-3 thing..

Yeah, stock plugs at 43,000 miles. I just used some denso's to replace it with. Denso and NGK are pretty much the same, nice fat electrode.

Nice......i feel I need to replace mine also. Ive had the NGK Iridiums on for about a year now, roughly 20k+ miles.....but i get on it every now and then. People have told me there supposed to last 100K (dunno)

All plugs can do 100k plus if you take a wire brush to them and make sure to lube them up with dielectric grease. It's more a personal preference (or ignorance) to just buy new ones.

I need to go check them.....ive been a lazy mofo, there probably baked.

......also, getting the NGK Iridiums at $19 a set gets me to the point where im like, **** it, just get new ones.

Last edited:
CitizenPro said:
I need to go check them.....ive been a lazy mofo, there probably baked.

......also, getting the NGK Iridiums at $19 a set gets me to the point where im like, **** it, just get new ones.
Ow, that's expensive. Do those plugs actually make a difference over stock?
I remember going to CarBoy just to get 2 heat range colder NGK's for my civic when i was boosted. Those assholes wouldn't take a credit card unless i spent $20.

Replica said:
Ow, that's expensive. Do those plugs actually make a difference over stock?
I remember going to CarBoy just to get 2 heat range colder NGK's for my civic when i was boosted. Those assholes wouldn't take a credit card unless i spent $20.
Its actually cheaper than most places.......and to be honest, i really cant remember how much of a difference the Iridiums made.....but ive been getting them ever since i changed over from the stockers.

......o yeah, i changed em 6 months after i purchased the car, so its been about 2 years.

Last edited:
Where are you all getting Denso Iridiums for 20 bucks a set?
I can't find them below 49 buck?
Quack Zoom

yeah i think whoever said 20 was blowing smoke.... (chair)

Last edited:
What about Bosch +4 Platinum?!

What do you guys think about these plugs? I just bought them (NOT cheap) and noticed a big difference! They say they can run for 100,000 mi. I guess that's with the wire brush technique stated below. But yeah, I'll post any MPG improvement with the new plugs. Just wondering what you guys thought about these plugs. L8.

He mentioned NGK Irridiums, not Denso. I get NGK IX for 5.99/ea from a local parts store at their regular price. So if he has some sort of "connection", then $19/set isn't that far off.

^ yeah.....i have a friend that works at O'Reillys and gives me a discount.....not sure what the regular price is though.

NJP5Guy said:
only gap the plugs if they are standard type plugs. dont gap iridiums or platinum.
Iridium and platinum plugs are supposed to come pre-gapped, however, I've experienced variances in the gaps with previous plugs. The tips on iridium and platinum plugs are small and fragile. So if you do gap them, be careful.

The recommended gap is posted on the underhood emissions sticker. IIRC, .045".

Latest posts

Back