Free custom air intake

something like the one in the second pic. I just used some drier hosing, that i got at the harware store and a mesh screen over the opening and some hose clamps.

With this setup, i felt that they was more torque and anyother intake setup i've had. But its your car do it up how ever you want to.

Then you are saying if i make this mod i'm gonna feel any gain??

I'll do it when i have time.. buy the K&N filter and that flexable tube

Problems will be how to put the tube behind the grill (radiator is on the way)
also how can i get it tight to the grill

My own idea was to make the inlet for the stock snorkel bigger. Because looking at it, no doubt in my mind that it's restricting some hp. The problem I ran into with that, is that there is a bend in the snorkel on the driver's side, where the airflow path gets reduced + bends. So even with a bigger mouth of the snorkel, it still has that bend in it.

The other idea was basically what you guys are talking about. But I'm trying to find a hose/inlet that would allow me get the most air, but I can't find many places to mount it. Because to mount it anywhere around the grill you're running into the problem that the stock snorkel inlet deals with, is that you need an almost narrow/flat inlet hole to be mounted above the radiator. I'm trying to find where I want to mount this, maybe run it down to one the side grills on the corners of the front bumper. Just very limited space as far as mounting an air intake goes.

I figure I'll have 4 ways I'll test it.

1. Stock
2. Modded stock (tape + cutting out the plastic above the grill)
3. No snorkel whatsoever
4. Custom Intake (hose running to somewhere)

But what it seems like I'll just end up doing is the modded stock with a k&n drop in.

with the k&n even with everything stock, it felt like had more response, especially in with low end torque. When i ran an sri or cai, you lose some power in the low end, but gain some upperband in the high rpms and hear intake noise.

I routed my hosing from the intake box to the hole under the coolant reseviour that goes to the fender well. This is where the CAI pipe goes if you get one. And i basically took a dremel to the grille ( the small one on the side and cut out the hole are came thru. Or you can just leave the hose there. That is where the CAI filter sits if you where to get one.

31420071144RD6060_install.jpg

where you the pipe goes into the metal. or there are other ways to route it, just got to be creative. But it works great, with the stock stuff, the snorkle that sits on top of the radiator. Many people cut the opening to get more air

Last edited:
I'll prolly find a way to get this hose right behind the grill 'cuz hey! remember that the more straight this hose is, the better air flow you get!

But like i said, i will burn my mind thinking how to put it behind the front grill, if i can't then i'm gonna pass it over the hole on the coolant container side and open the small grill on the bumper and leave the hose behind it.

dude dont take the MAF screen out...it is there for a reason. Im not going to go into a huge explanation as to why you need to have it because there is already a huge thread(Search "MAF") that people went back and forth on endlessly about why its good or bad. Ultimately you want the maf diffusor in there and to anyone who says it doesnt help with debris...read the thread because I personally had my turbo saved from immediate destruction because I decided to keep my MAF honeycomb in. IMO removing the diffusor is one of those mods that people do because they dont have the patience to just wait until they have money to buy performance parts (being over eager is a lot of people's downfall)...removing it does nothing for performance except maybe worsen it. I will not be convinced you get any gain unless a dyno is done (which no one will do because it is ridiculous...but i just dont buy it).

Take the time to save money and buy good quality mods.

Im sorry if I offended anyone who has taken their diffusor out and thinks they are benefitting from it. But in all honestly PM some of the members who are running the best times, have the most mods on their car, and a lot more experience than most people and ask them if they think it is a good idea to remove the diffusor....you will only get one answer.

I dont think my car ever had a MAF screen. I think its cool. Weapon-r SRI will work with no problems, but its gonna be balls off the line. Someone else on here along with me have one. No CEL or hesitation.

im probly gonna test the OEM intake again with a K&N filter to see if i can get off the line better, but its acceptable for daily driving. sometimes the car will get out faster if u go half throttle then WOT. Crazy...

I can get one of the expandable hoses from pepboys/autozone but weapon-r sells this one at 42 bucks (including shipping) .. what should i do???

the one from weapon r actually looks better and comes with brackets and silicone conector :D

Attachments

• 838-111-106.jpg
    838-111-106.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 74

Aighty, I may be jumping a bit ahead or off track with this but here's my own experience. I have a 00 1.6l engine with an injen CAI. Due to the snow in utah i cut the piping in half :O to allow for a SRI setup in the winter.

The best setup i've found with the CAI setup is to route a ram-air type hose to the drivers fog light opening in the front bumper. (granted i have no fogs) Since the filter for the CAI is located in the fender well already, i ran the pipe to the outside air and hooked it into the filter on the inside. This setup gives me the best of both.

To avoid foreign objects of reasonable size entering the pipe, I attached a thin piece of mesh often found on prefilters to the opening.

Now in terms of water induction i've had no problems, short of hitting a puddle and effectively flooding the pipe. Solution: since the filter runs upstream (or at higher altitude, whatever) to the inlet in the bumper, i cut a hole at the lowest curve of the pipe and ran a secondary hose to it to allow for water drain.

If you were to go with the stock box/K&N setup you could achieve the same type of setup by running the hose from the box inlet to the same spot. Not the straightest route but a cooler one. :)

I can get one of the expandable hoses from pepboys/autozone but weapon-r sells this one at 42 bucks (including shipping) .. what should i do???

the one from weapon r actually looks better and comes with brackets and silicone conector :D

hardware store, way cheaper. Silicon connector, you can get them off ebay, or a local performance shop.

Some people don't have hesitation or cels from their Injen CAI or SRI's, those are the lucky people. But most 1.6ers have this problem, espeically with injen, there are pently of post about that stuff, just do a search

Well i got my bottom end back by re installing the MAF and resetting the ECU. :- /

Remember you can only do the air ducting with the stock airbox. the space is real thight

Where can i find a low noise catback??

btw if i put a high flow catalytic.. is my car gonna gain power but still make the same noise out of my sebring muffler??

Back