Forged

pat_neumerz

:
MP3 258/1500 [blue]
Anyone know where to get some inexpensive decent quality forged rods and pistons. Protegegarage is insanely expensive. Also I know my protege has some ford heritage, anything going on in the ford racing catalog? Im trying to budget a bulletproof bottom end.

check out the modders guide thread. it has all the information your looking for.

if your looking for cheap, why bother. your best bet is to find some one selling theirs on here. other wise your not going to get them any cheaper

cross over is the price zone i was hoping. i just could not justify 800 dollars on rods alone. 400 is totally realistic.

cross over is the price zone i was hoping. i just could not justify 800 dollars on rods alone. 400 is totally realistic.
They can be had for less... Buy directly from the manufacturer... I've priced a set of rods as low as $319...

They can be had for less... Buy directly from the manufacturer... I've priced a set of rods as low as $319...

x2 There are a few to choose from. I bought mine on ebay from a shop in Texas. I bought K1 Rods and Wiseco Piston for a great deal. Just have to keep looking around.

Pat, You must not be looking hard enough because on his site he has two, K1 and Molinar for $400. Don't bash without looking.

K1 Rods:
------------
Ken at Protege Garage = $409 free shipping
Cross Over = $385 + $15 Shipping = $400 shipped

Pauter Rods are the only ones in the $800 range.

Both great sellers so you decide.

And to answer your question on the Ford catalog, no you can't use their parts. They are proprietary to each other when it comes to the Protege.

Last edited:
I have been looking around for parts and kits and this seems to be a decent price
http://www.importperformanceparts.net/imports/wisecopistons_mazda.html
they have a complete kit also with bearings and gaskets.
If anyone has had any experince with this company feed back would be awsome.
I have read some things already as far as the tolga oil pump at least from the probe talk forum that it maybe a little risky.
Ill see if i can find the kit direct link...

well the parts are not cheap just wondering if people have had experience...
i know that saying very well..and so far for me cheap and reliable has been good becuase fast is expensive especially when the cops are faster lol..

well the parts are not cheap just wondering if people have had experience...
i know that saying very well..and so far for me cheap and reliable has been good becuase fast is expensive especially when the cops are faster lol..

I was referring to the OP (Original poster) who is looking for cheap, high quality parts.

Link doesn't work BTW

hmm i just clicked on it...well i i guess i might order the kit and give a review later..

here we go...
http://www.importperformanceparts.net/imports/pek-mazda.html
if you have any experince with any of these products feed back would be awsome.
Im on a budget build my self..
Im just trying to build a more reliable car with some more pep goal solid 250... and nothing more
That's where I've decided to go with. I called them to verify prices, shipping times, etc. but it was a holiday week and they had closed for the week.

Sorry I have been super busy. Just brought the block and the head to get cleaned up to see where we are at. I bought the car with a blown head gasket (original owner sucked). In no way am going to go "cheap" just looking for the best prices. We are most likely going to end up boreing out the old block unless it turns out to be too shot. I was debating a kl swap for a while but the forged route ended up winning me over. Hopefully by the fourth I will have an idea whats going on with the block then I can move forward to internals. Im looking for a reliable 12 L 15 H psi range so this is certainly no cheap project ha. Luckily I have two mp3's now so I'm not destined to be left vehicle-less. Thanks for all the responses.

Sorry I have been super busy. Just brought the block and the head to get cleaned up to see where we are at. I bought the car with a blown head gasket (original owner sucked). In no way am going to go "cheap" just looking for the best prices. We are most likely going to end up boreing out the old block unless it turns out to be too shot. I was debating a kl swap for a while but the forged route ended up winning me over. Hopefully by the fourth I will have an idea whats going on with the block then I can move forward to internals. Im looking for a reliable 12 L 15 H psi range so this is certainly no cheap project ha. Luckily I have two mp3's now so I'm not destined to be left vehicle-less. Thanks for all the responses.
I battle "swap a KL into it" on an almost daily basis... I absolutely refuse to do it. I'm glad you opted for the forged build.

Back