Forged Internals

midnightracr said:
Great thread. Now lets see if we can talk to Eagle to make us a steel crank

the stock crank is forged I do believe, so I wouldn't worry about it either.

Based on installshield's testing the crank is more than adequate... he pushed the thing through 8500 rpm's and 200 hp with a compression ratio of 13:1 approximately and no problems... I wouldn't worry about the crank one bit!

true that!

You can buy the WRC hardened gears though... problem is they are 1000 dollars EACH... so a total of 5K for the full set... ouch.

But backing up... no one has shredded gears yet that I know of... lots of destroyed forks... a number of snapped axles... but I don't know of anyone (but that doesn't mean much!) that has actually sheared gear teeth from power or twisted shafts off yet... so the tranny hasn't been murdered yet...

I know the 427 hp drag PR P5 has blown trannies, but they didn't say what... and drag racing on fat ass radials is a bit of another thing though as well from simply making and using power for auto-x and just plain old fun.

TurfBurn said:
true that!

You can buy the WRC hardened gears though... problem is they are 1000 dollars EACH... so a total of 5K for the full set... ouch.

But backing up... no one has shredded gears yet that I know of... lots of destroyed forks... a number of snapped axles... but I don't know of anyone (but that doesn't mean much!) that has actually sheared gear teeth from power or twisted shafts off yet... so the tranny hasn't been murdered yet...

I know the 427 hp drag PR P5 has blown trannies, but they didn't say what... and drag racing on fat ass radials is a bit of another thing though as well from simply making and using power for auto-x and just plain old fun.

just get tri point to make gusseted shift forks and you should be god, like I did :)

TurfBurn said:
Hey....well...I talked to him 2 weeks ago...HE BLEW THE ENGINE! And I mean, HE BLEW IT.
By the time I talked to him he didnt knew what happened. But the engine is completely gone: forged pistons and rods, head, block....everything. Although the tranny is still fine.

Well...he was running 40psi on the streets, so, it blew in one of those street races.

ddogg777 said:
You need to give us more details than that you tease!

tripoint will take stock mazda shift forks and re-weld them by gusseting them (think of it as adding a strut bar, or bracing, to make it stronger). It cost me 100 for alll the shift forks, 1, 2,3,4, no reverse, no fifth gear. Costs 200 labor, 100 parts, tada. Took them about 3 days from order to finished, but they had the parts in stock. Tada, no problems, and it's the same thing they put in their world challenge proteges on speedvision. Just talk to Mark, he's the man :)

the forks all break on the actuator arm. There is a notch that allows one of the collars in the tranny to turn side to side inside of that arm on the fork, and then it also pushes the fork up and down on that arm. That's the weak point as it is rather thin there. By adding some material wherever they can, they can make it stronger and hopefully eliminate the breakage.

See what I circled in the picture.

Attachments

• linkages1.jpg
    linkages1.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 78
If you fill that in with metal and remachine it and do something to reduce the severity of those notches (the small radiuses of the corners in that gap on the inside) will vastly improve the reliabilty of this part.

That and contrary to what I saw posted by someone in some thread on here a couple days ago... Gears are NOT meant to be slammed... So shifting light and rpm matching on the fall go a long way to protecting you from snapping that part. Keep in mind the thickness of that part is only about 1/8"-3/16" and you can get some serious forces in that tranny.... so pretty hard for it to hang on!

Back