2017~2024 Ford dropping AM from 2024 model, will Mazda follow?

:
2019 CX5 Reserve AWD
Most emergency broadcasts come over AM. A lot of people listen to talk radio on AM.
Seems kinda stupid. Gotta wonder who makes these decisions.

The top rated radio shows in the nation, listened to by tens of millions of people all across America are all on AM. And yeah, personally I listen to AM radio every single morning on the way to work to find out the latest news and traffic.

This is just plain stupid.

I'd say Ford (or whomever) can eliminate AM radio from their offering because not many people will "not" buy the car because it doesn't have AM.

Back in 2021 when I was car shopping, A Volvo V60 was on my list of cars to consider and I recall Volvo had already dropped AM. I won't say that's why I opted for the CX-5, but it was one factor went into my final decision.

AM? That's in the morning, right? ;)

I haven't listened to AM in over 30 years.

Although I do know what kind of "talk radio" is on AM, for the most part, and I would never listen to that BS anyway.

ETA- figured it would be GM. They are putting ChatGPT in all cars in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have any idea what's on AM radio as I haven't listened to it for 30-40 years. Usually sports and nonsense nobody else listens to either. I won't miss it at all.

Many manufacturers have already dropped AM from their electric vehicles (Ford, BMW, Mazda, Polestar, Rivian, Tesla, VW and Volvo) because without proper shielding around the electric motor (which costs $$$), the RF signature from it interferes with AM reception. Ford is just also doing it on their ICE vehicles because going forward they will be making less of those and they don't want to invest in a technology that won't appear on their EVs. It's really just a bean-counter cost-saving measure.

nonsense nobody else listens to

Like 9 of the top 10 radio shows in the Arbitron ratings nationwide are all in AM radio. Arbitron is like Nielsen tv ratings, but for radio.Tens of millions of Americans listen to AM every single day. Seriously, you should try it. There's some really interesting stuff on there. I love the show "Coast to Coast AM", absolutely engaging stuff.

Although I don't listen to talk radio I have sports on all the time, where AM really fits the bill. Espicially on longer drives. I listen to the Twins game from the Twin Cities all the way to Duluth - a good two hour drive - on the same station. Was it the only reason I bought a Mazda, no of course not, but yea it came into play. From an emergency standpoint the AM station here 830 is a go to because you can literally pick it up anywhere.

I'd love to seem some actual numbers about the costs of shielding for AM and the degree of interference. Its true the right kind of EMC/EMI can be pretty intrusive but without that, the shielding really feels like a pretext to get rid of something useful in the right circumstances.

The only AM stations I listen to have sister stations on FM that simulcast on HD2 their stations. This provides better sound and a more stable, static-free signal. Oh, the days when summer baseball was impossible to hear over the static!

I reported this thread instead of responding to the political commentary.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only AM stations I listen to have sister stations on FM that simulcast on HD2 their stations. This provides better sound and a more stable, static-free signal. Oh, the days when summer baseball was impossible to hear over the static!
I've never been able to maintain a HD broadcast, once my car starts moving the signal fades.

Thread will be edited to remove any politically charged responses.

Just a reminder, political discussion of any kind is not allowed on Mazda247.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Back