For those w/ Magnetic Bras...

fastdrvr23

Contributor
:
03' Silverado, 03' P5
I just finished installing my Magnetic bra from Protege5online.com and I am really pleased with the results! It took me an hour to get it heated enough to mold to the hood, but it ended up looking great!

Anyways, my question is... How often do you guys take it off?everytime you wash the car, or after rain or anything? I am just curious and couldn't find anything by searching. I don't want to damage the paint or anything and figured I would ask. Thanks for the help!

Will

I only had the bra on for 2 weeks, but from that experience I know that it will show a faded appearance on your hood when you take it off. I didnt have it on very long as you can see, and it had a line going across from where the top of it was. I just waxed it and it didnt show anymore. When it rained a couple of times I finally checked underneath, and there was some water in the cracks. On both creases where the hood scoops in, and along the hard rubber thingy. That part that holds the bra on. I would check it once a week, but thats my opinion. I dont have the bra on anymore, its sittin in the closet. But from what ive heard the bra will eventually start to crack and chip.

I had the bra on since the second week I had my car. It's been 5 months and I've taken it off twice. It looks clean enough but when I take it off I put a fresh coat of wax on that part of the hood just to give it additional protection against any moisture trapped down there. To minimize the color fade on the rest of the hood I would suggest you to wax it once a month to protect against UV. That's what I've been doing and I have yet to notice any color fade.

I got mine when it was still kind of cold out and there are no outlets near the parking lot of my apartment. I didn't manage to mold it quite well enough to the creases in the hood. There are small gaps that water gets into with some dirt. It hasn't cause a problem yet but the crimp at the ends that goes under the trim didn't leave enough slack for me to fit the creases when the weather did warm up. Now the question for me is, do I get another one, live with it, or take it off?

I was wondering if you noticed if the sides of the trim rubbed up against the corner fenders. I just got mine today and from the looks of it, it kind of seemed like it would rub, but that was my initial impression.

I've had mine on for about 3 months now. Only time it comes off is when I am doing a wax job on the car, then it goes right back on. I also wax the magnet. Looks great. I never had to heat it to mold it, just used the sun and outside heat. I can guarantee it's kept a ton of chips out of the hood already. a trip to Colorado and another to Kansas and it looks good. No lines on the hood from fading. I guess I clean the car too much, but it all looks great so far!
Funny part is I have a lot of non-car people asking me where I got the Carbon Fiber hood. I kinda laugh and show them it's a magnet. Oddly enough, it will get a lot of looks, and most everybody thinks it's pretty cool. Who would have thought a magnet could attract so much attention.

Back