For those having Transmission Issues with their CX-5

It's weird we don't see the issue as much on the 3 which came after the cx5 initially, so it must be a first-run-type issue.

And who is "we"? From my "experience", working in a transmission shop in my area (Nashville TN area at the time) from 2008-2011, one of the most popular foreign transmission jobs were 1st gen (03-08ish) Mazda3s.

Last edited:
I know manual doesn't call for it but plan to drain & fill AT fluid at 25-30K miles.

There was a video on here somewhere where guy dropped pan and swapped filter. I probably won't go that far though.

And who is "we"? From my "experience", working in a transmission shop in my area (Nashville TN area at the time) from 2008-2011, one of the most popular foreign transmission jobs were 1st gen (03-08ish) Mazda3s.

We as in friends that work at warranty inspection companies and the regional mazda service manager I am also friends with.

It's solenoids, they had a crap supplier at the beginning and did a rolling change and now it's stragglers, people with unrelated issues, and a few unlucky ones. If you're buying a 2015/2016 CX5 you will likely be safe. Remember the a 2013 CX5 could have been sold Jan 1, 2012. (i know release dates and all but it wasn't Dec 31, 2013)

And that 03-06* trans is a ford product, that's why. The 06+ went to the 5-speed Mazda version which is much better (similar to the FNR5 in later fusions) if you buy the right fluid for the mazda (Mazda M-V spec is not the same as Mercon V, and why mazda can't pick different letters to avoid confusion is beyond me).

That's fair.

But, I am asking what necessitates draining original fluid at all?

Any UOA on outgoing fluid?

I'm not aware of age having any effect on performance, save for brake fluid. Usage, yes.

Every AT fluid I have ever changed had particulate on the magnetic drain plug when changing fluid and I can't imagine that ever did an AT any favors. Maybe I am being paranoid and wasteful but $100 in fluid is a whole lot less than a potential multi thousand dollar rebuild at 90K miles & post warranty. That $4K I had to pay out as a kid for a rebuild when I could least afford it left a lasting impression 25 years later. Fluid swaps may or may not have prevented this but I have not had to relive that experience either.

We as in friends that work at warranty inspection companies and the regional mazda service manager I am also friends with..

Ah, gotcha. Sorry if I sounded like I was questioning your knowledge, I wasn't. Just trying to see it from your perspective. And correct me if I'm off, but from your experience; did you deal with mostly warranty problems? Most of my involvements were out of warranty, with trans with 50k miles and up.
^ATX, correct?

To be fair, the Skyactiv auto trans is completely different...

And that 03-06* trans is a ford product, that's why. The 06+ went to the 5-speed Mazda version which is much better (similar to the FNR5 in later fusions) if you buy the right fluid for the mazda (Mazda M-V spec is not the same as Mercon V, and why mazda can't pick different letters to avoid confusion is beyond me).

Both statements are true. However, from my prospective I still don't trust Mazda in the trans dept 100%. They're a much smaller company than the other big 3 Asian companies, it wouldn't surprise me to skimp out on the little things in their trans. Also, I am in the OEM transmission parts business currently, and even though Mazda isn't a customer of our assemblies, I do get to see, at a deep inside level, how companies contract our companies to engineer parts to certain wearable degrees.
Every AT fluid I have ever changed had particulate on the magnetic drain plug when changing fluid and I can't imagine that ever did an AT any favors.
Almost every trans flush I have done (and I've so many I am sick from the smell of old ATF [emoji30]) I have seen some metal particles on the plug, so I agree regular fluid flushes/exchanges are a good practice, despite what any manufacturer says otherwise. I have yet seen any "lifetime" fluid (I'm looking at you GM with your Dex-Cool) be lifetime without problems.

Last edited:
That's fair.

But, I am asking what necessitates draining original fluid at all?

Any UOA on outgoing fluid?

I'm not aware of age having any effect on performance, save for brake fluid. Usage, yes.

The big reason that I'm likely to state is: break-in wear.

It will be the #1 cause of junk/crap/crud and it being at the birth of the car means it has the propensity and opportunity to do the most damage.

Just like break-in on an engine, do the first changes early and then resume regular maintenance.

A transmission full fluid exchange at 15k should be right where break-in ends and doing so will be one of the best things you could do for an automatic transmission. Get that gunk out early and it won't be floating around grinding away at stuff for the next 60k.

Ah, gotcha. Sorry if I sounded like I was questioning your knowledge, I wasn't. Just trying to see it from your perspective. And correct me if I'm off, but from your experience; did you deal with mostly warranty problems? Most of my involvements were out of warranty, with trans with 50k miles and up.
Oh no you didn't sound defensive/offensive at all!

The warranty inspection friend works with an inspection company that is contracted by aftermarket or 3rd-party warranty companies while the Mazda guy sees data all mfr warranty and mfr extended warranty cars in the region and sees/talks to customers that complain the loudest (mostly off of which neglected their cars, it's sad). Most Mazda-post-Ford failures are from neglect, save for this early CX5 solenoid issue and of course the few that failed after the rolling change since nothing has zero failures.

Ive been notcing a weird issue on my 13 CX5 trans as well...very similar to the guy a few posts ago.

First thing in the morning, I have to wait a couple seconds when shifting into drive before driving off otherwise I get a rev up and hard shift. Then the first shift in the morning is always pretty rough. It smooths out after that and is fine from then on.

58k on the clock and powertrain is up at 60k. Im taking it into the dealer and leaving it overnight to have them check it. Hopefully they replicate it and replace the trans under warranty. Or- find that there is no issue.

Last edited:
You should be waiting 15 seconds from starting the car to doing any driving (just a good practice)
The first shift will always be weird due to non-optimal trans fluid temps and pressures, especially with high idle with a cold engine.

If it never messes up after driving a bit, you seem to be describing a cold transmission.

Ive been notcing a weird issue on my 13 CX5 trans as well...very similar to the guy a few posts ago.

First thing in the morning, I have to wait a couple seconds when shifting into drive before driving off otherwise I get a rev up and hard shift.
Then the first shift in the morning is always pretty rough. It smooths out after that and is fine from then on.

58k on the clock and powertrain is up at 60k. Im taking it into the dealer and leaving it overnight to have them check it. Hopefully they replicate it and replace the trans under warranty. Or- find that there is no issue.
The "issue" appears to be, as brandini points out, is that you're not waiting the required 15-30 seconds for the engine to come down off fast idle and get out of start-up mode. What's the rush?

The "issue" appears to be, as brandini points out, is that you're not waiting the required 15-30 seconds for the engine to come down off fast idle and get out of start-up mode. What's the rush?

The more concerning thing is after shifting to D...when I am going to get on the highway that first shift is pretty hard and firm from 1-->2. I mean its fine after that and the all shifting from then on is smooth, but is it worth taking it in?

The more concerning thing is after shifting to D...when I am going to get on the highway that first shift is pretty hard and firm from 1-->2. I mean its fine after that and the all shifting from then on is smooth, but is it worth taking it in?
My first shift in the morning is a little hard too and, like yours, the trans settles down after that. If you're in a cold climate, that could make it worse, but it wouldn't hurt to have it checked.

I don't have first (world) shift problems...yet. (13,xxx miles)

Ugh... I shouldn't have wrote what I did. Yesterday driving on the highway to the beach, I run into a traffic jam. As I slow down to a stop, I feel the trans downshift strangely. Then, as traffic starts to move at a faster pace, my trans wouldn't shift up into the next gear (would've been 3rd, I believe). I try manual mode, and it only says "M" without numbers. So, I pull over, turn off and restart car, and it cleared itself up. Manual mode worked fine, also. Strange glitch that I feel is computer related, but with now only 14,500 miles it isn't giving me any more confidence in Mazda trans.

Back