For Pearl White Owners

Greenridge

:
Mazda 5
Do you guys notice some very very tiny yellow (look like rust spot) around the wheels on the body of the car? I was told that they are brake dust which got on to the body and they are very hard to get off. Those spots are very obvious on the White.
BUT... my wife found an easy way to get those off... use the "Mr. Clean Magic Eraser".

Brake dust sounds legit to me. If the magic eraser took it off, and there was still white paint there, it wasn't rust. Maybe as a precaution use a good thick layer of wax in the affected areas to prevent any future paint damage.

jandree22 said:
Brake dust sounds legit to me. If the magic eraser took it off, and there was still white paint there, it wasn't rust. Maybe as a precaution use a good thick layer of wax in the affected areas to prevent any future paint damage.

Yeah, they are not rust spot but they do look a lot like it. I'm pretty sure they are the dust from my brakes. If you have them, you will know what I'm talking about. They are very small approx. 1/2mm dia each.

i just washed my car this weekend and found these black dots all over the sides and some on the front of the car all over pretty much but nothing higher then the windows and nothing further then the back wheels. anyway they wouldnt come off and i used a very small amount of rubbing compund on a damp rag and they came off and didnt leave any spots where the compound was. so it seems to work fine but its been raining here since i washed the car and i cant tell for sure if there are no spots. anyone else see this on their car?

illusis said:
i just washed my car this weekend and found these black dots all over the sides and some on the front of the car all over pretty much but nothing higher then the windows and nothing further then the back wheels.
sounds like tar?

hummm might be...good thinking dont know why i didnt think about that, any other way to get it off with compund though this way i dont have to worry about spots on the car. think that the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser would work?

Wonder if plasticine will work on that area... we use that before detailing cars and anything comes off.

altspace said:
Industrial Fallout and/or brake rust particles.
We get cocoa residue on cars parked near the Hershey's factory. No, I'm not kidding and yes, it's a b**** to remove (headshake

Just picked up my Pearl White and noticed the same thing. Little yellow or orange dots all over the car. Very few and mostly clustered around the front wheel wells. I noticed more on the front rims. I used a clay bar to remove them quite easily. Be very careful with the magic eraser as it is a mild abrasive. A friend of mine used it on his black coloured car and it clouded up the clear coat. Nothing serious and it was able to be buffed out. If you used it on your white 5, you may not see the clouding as easily. I ended up claybarring the entire car then applied a fresh coat of Klasse All-in-one and Sealant Glaze. For those who don't know, clay barring is a method used in detailing that removes invisible contaminants, brake dust, old wax etc. from your car. You'd be amazed at the grime you car picks up or has even straight from the dealer. Follow this with a good quality wax then polish. For more info on using a clay bar go here:

http://www.guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=14

The paint should feel even smoother than glass and the Pearl will shine through even better. I would recommend this to anyone who likes to take care of the paint on their car, no matter the colour.

GTA5 said:
Follow this with a good quality wax then polish. For more info on using a clay bar go here:

http://www.guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=14

I think you have polish and wax mixed around. It should be polish first, then wax as a protective layer.

My routine:
1. Wash with Dawn (strips old wax)
2. Clay bar
3. Polish with Meguiar's #9 or a milder polish
4. Mother's Sealer and Glaze
5. Zaino Z2 wax.

Even with my Porter-Cable 7424 random orbit polisher, this takes almost all day, so it's only a semi-annual ritual for me.

Great info GTA, and welcome! Clay barring does work wonders... the key is lots of lubrication!

One thing though is you polish first, THEN wax. Polish is the mild abrasive that brings out the glow in the paint and wax is the sealer to protect. (Beat me to it, MP5 ;) )

thanks and yes u're right! :) Although I find that the Klasse products is often enough for me. It's pretty much semi-annual for me too as doing it properly does take up most of your day. I just love that feeling of smoothness.

I love the feeling of pride and responsibility after spending a day washing/polishing/waxing my car... but man is it ever hard work! Yep, when it comes down to it, I can be one lazy sonovabich (sleep)

Back