Foot well lighting question

jgoods042

:
2007 Mazdaspeed 3, 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
Hey guys, i plan to install foot well lights in my protege 5 and i would like to have them wired up to the dome light so they turn on when the doors are opened but not while driving. I am wondering if anyone knows where the dome light wire is found in the foot well because i have been having trouble locating wiring information for that part of the car. Any help would be appreciated if anyone has cut into this circuit before.

Thank you!

Hey, although I don't have my P5 anymore I did install footwell lighting to the car when I had it. I just used two 4" red led strips that I found at an auto store or walmart I think. They were just your basic two wire 12v led strips. I attached them with double sided sticky tape where I thought they would work best and followed the directions seen Here:

http://protegefaq.net/footlamp/

These directions are for the JDM foot well kit but it's the same principle to install any 2 wire LED strips. Just tap into the two wires that it shows and your lights should work. I think I stripped back some of the wires sheathing to access the wires and test which ones were for positive and negative. I can't remember which ones were which. You just need to use the blue/red and the yellow/red wires, one is positive and one is negative. Just use a mutimeter to test voltage and you'll find which one has power when the doors open. I hope that helps and good luck

Thank you so much, this is exactly the kind of write up that i was looking for. This is awesome!

Back