FOB stops working after going in and out of range several times

cybercruiser

Contributor
:
2015 CX-5 Touring 2.5L FWD
OK, I did my search and found many posts of people having similar issues, but, none with a clear resolution.

As near as I can tell, if my FOB is in and out of range of my CX-5 several times between being used to actually lock or unlock, then the FOB stops working, as if it's battery is dead. It won't unlock the car and it won't let me start the car. It behaves exactly like it's a dead FOB.

But, then I use the physical key to get in the car, and mess with the start button, the brake pedal, pressing the FOB lock and unlock, it will eventually start working again, letting me start the car, and locking and unlocking the doors.

Once it starts working, it seems fine until I leave the FOB in close range of the CX-5 or go in and out of range several times without actually using it, then it plays dead again.

We camped over the weekend and the FOB was in the tent 2 or 3 feet away from the CX-5, sure enough after a couple days, I couldn't get it to unlock the door, or start the CX-5 until I fumbled around with it for awhile. Again, once it started working, it was fine.

Anyone have any thoughts, or better yet a solution how to keep this from happening??

Might be an obvious question, but have you checked to make sure your key fob is not low on battery?

The FOB battery did actually die completely a month or so ago, so, it's got a brand new CR2025 in it.

It had this behavior with the old battery, and still apparently has the same behavior with the new FOB battery.

Does your other fob work ok? If so, exchange the batteries and see what happens. It is possible to get a bad battery you know?

It only does it's weirdness after the FOB has been in close range for an extended amount of time.

When I come up to it fresh, it always works fine.

Yes, I think I tried both FOBs when it's being weird and it won't unlock the door or start until I've messed with it for awhile. Then once it "wakes up" and starts, then it's fine.

When it first started doing this, I almost thought it was a security thing of some sort. That if the car see's the FOB come in and out of range multiple times in a short amount of time, that maybe it interprets that as it's trying to be hacked, so, it shuts down for awhile. Now, I just think it's being weird.

My keys, or fob is almost always in my pocket. When out doing chores in the yard, I'm constantly going in and out of range. Never had this problem. Did you ever ask your dealer about the problem?

Haven't asked the dealer yet. I don't know that I have specific and repeatable scenario enough to ask them about it. Thought I'd ping you all here first....

To be on the safe side, in case it is some weird battery drain of the FOB, I put a new CR2025 inside the car. So, if it actually ends up with a completely dead FOB, at least I can put a new battery. It might keep my from getting stuck somewhere :)

But, so far, it doesn't seem to be a dead FOB, only a temporary finicky FOB.

To be on the safe side, in case it is some weird battery drain of the FOB, I put a new CR2025 inside the car. So, if it actually ends up with a completely dead FOB, at least I can put a new battery. It might keep my from getting stuck somewhere :)

This thread is getting nuttier by the minute. You have a backup battery in the car and you haven't bothered swapping them to see if it makes any difference? What does that take; like 2 minutes!

If the fob battery is dead you can hold the fob up against the start button and it will work. It's in the manual.

This thread is getting nuttier by the minute. You have a backup battery in the car and you haven't bothered swapping them to see if it makes any difference? What does that take; like 2 minutes!

Yes, I did swap the battery once, when the initial battery did die. That was maybe a month ago. The battery in the FOB now is less than 2 months old, so, no way should it be dead already. The first FOB battery lasted almost 3 years before it died.

If the fob battery is dead you can hold the fob up against the start button and it will work. It's in the manual.

Yes, I tried that, it didn't work. It took just trying different combinations of hitting the brake, hitting the starter, hitting the lock or unlock on the FOB. I don't know what actually makes it start working. I haven't noticed anything consistent yet.

If it's not battery then I'd say you have a faulty key FOB. Is it the same with a spare key FOB?The car actually tells you if your key FOB is low on battery in the instrument cluster display. ie "Key FOB battery is low" or something or rather. On a side note, the range on the key FOB is incredible. I can be over 100 metres away and still lock/unlock the CX-5 with the key FOB.

Back