FMIC is Done!!!

BremertonMSP said:

Any flow number on this IC?

Which fan hook up did you use for the new fan, and what did you do with the remaining plug?

Thanks

I dont have any flow #s or CFM, but I'm personally using this intercooler on my 89 240sx with redtop SR20det. On my stock T25 I laid down 227hp/256lbs/ft at 4200rpm. The car was running a 13.08@108 on street tires and no LSD. I currently have a t3 60-1 on the car with the same cooler still but have not been to the dyno yet. I'm certain that the flow will be very sufficient for the needs of the MSP, but to handle the suspected volume I'll need for the kit I'm researching other cores. NPR's are getting few and far between for perfect examples. I have found a few Mk3 Supra's running this same intercooler in the range past 400hp, but I would think for the core dimensions that is really on the ragged edge.

We hooked up just the main cooling fan. The AC fan plug is strapped back into the harness hidden away. The car was picked up on a balmy 93 degree SC day and the AC was on constantly with no ill effects. I also let the car sit and idle in the garage for just over an hour and watched the temps.. fan kicked on at regular intervals and the more efficient fan pulled the temps right down.

ForceFed said:
I can't tell from the pics ,but did the front bumper support have to be cut in order for this front mount to fit?
OK,I lied two questions?
Will the new piping of the kit be all mandrel bent and one piece per section,not welded together like what is in the pic?
The answer to these questions will determine whether or not i would buy it!
Matt:cool:

Thanks to Heathen for getting to this one, but I'll reconfirm. Yes, the bumper support needs to be trimmed. The length and depth of the intercooler.. about 24" wide by about 3" deep is sufficient.

My goal is to have the piping reproduced in smooth mandrel bends, as some of you know the original kit on Chris's car was pieced from mandrel u-bends that we cut up and weld together. It was then powdercoated. The kit will be powdercoated. A pallet of colors will be offered as standard, additional custom colors will be available for a small extra cost (probably around 30.0o extra). The second option is to have the piping CNC'd as opposed to mandrel one-piece.

Hope this clears up your questions.

joka1 said:
just one quick question..... by any way will this fit an protege's other than the msp? or will we need to buy more? if it fits....i'm down....
http://members.cardomain.com/joka1

We havent had the chance to see if the kit will fit a Protege other than the MSP. We would be willing construct a kit for prototyping if someone would like to volunteer their vehicle for a few days in exchange for a reduced price on the kit. Contact me on PM if interested.

Hey can someone tell me what kind of exhaust that is? It looks beautiful any links to the exhuast where i might find pricing on purchase? How does it sound? Thanks

Hey MSP'ers I just want to keep you posted on the status of the FMIC kit. I have not been able to locate a mandrel bender yet to accurately reproduce the kit to our specs. I'm also looking into other intercooler sources in order to offer the kit with a new core instead of a used diesel NPR core.

Hang in there!! :D

OrangeSpeed said:
Hey can someone tell me what kind of exhaust that is? It looks beautiful any links to the exhuast where i might find pricing on purchase? How does it sound? Thanks

It is an HKS HiPer turbo canister. HUGE. Sounds great.

jeff, this is jamie. my turbo kit will be here in about 2 weeks if you want to prototype to see if it will fit on the other proteges i guess...

YOU SUCK BOY! What front mount you going with? I might ride down for the weekend or something and meet you, and check out the car...Later,

Thanks for the BUMP, but it's not necessary. I'm not planning on leaving you boost-hungry good people hangin' :D

Just my usual update, still tracking down reliable suppliers who can guarantee me quality reproduction and a firm delivery date. I'll update everyone with further details personally as they develop.

Thanks guys!

MP3skaterNC said:
jeff, this is jamie. my turbo kit will be here in about 2 weeks if you want to prototype to see if it will fit on the other proteges i guess...

Jamie.. contact me at the shop so we can discuss this. Dane has the #, or just click my site.

Jeff

I think having a each piece "CATSCANED" by a professional Mr. Tomei really shows your dedication to offering quality components for auto crazed fans like us. Man you are lucky to have an employee like that.

ha yes, i drove my friends WRX today and it just makes me want to contend with that. Although this kit might not make me keep up with it, I'll look good.

It's very funny that you should say something about a WRX. I got into a few races with one last night. This car did not impress me at all. I beat dude 4 out of 5 races, lost the 5th race due to missing 5th gear. Anyone with an MSP knows, 5th gear is a pretty long throw over. Anyways, from a stop I pulled 1-2 cars. 2nd gear roll, he could never catch up. Down shift into 3rd gettin on highway was all on his ass(could have passed if I dropped to 2nd). Best night I have had in a long time, cuz they were actual races. I got dude to stop and gave him my appreciation for the runs. Pretty kool guy. Considering I am still running stock boost, actually Peak/hold for me is about 6.5-6.7, I thaught I did pretty damn good. WRX has double that boost stock. I can't wait to get a boost controller! Might be going to the dyno within 2 weeks, so I will keep yall posted about any info from my kit...Later,

you sure the guy could drive? him not getting the launch off the line is kinda weird with the WRX. but nice job though. thanks for being the test monkey for the front mount:D

Me too! Do we have any updates yet?

Britt

I'm talking with someone about manufacturing new intercoolers for me with new tanks. The new configuration would not require hardly any cutting on the bumper support and would be a little thicker to make up for the reduced height.

I'll keep you all posted as details come along.

Thanks!

Props to Chris on his races!:D

Back