FM Budget Setup

what about a good wheel/tire package? I think this should be the first upgrade

I'd do the suspension kit. I've been in an NB with said kit. A worthwhile upgrade if I've ever seen one.

k-lea said:
Yes.

Btw, if you aren't staying stock, you are ALWAYS going to run into problems. That's what I have learned. No matter how much you tune or money you spend, something will always pop up. That's the way this game works. It's one big money pit, do realize that.

PS: Not that it matters or anything, but you going full-out FM annoys the hell out of me.

Why does them going all FM annoy you?

I would leave the stock brakes alone, the are decent in the NB just get different pads. Dont go for the a-pillar mounts. I forget the website but let me look are there are other mounts. Also Look at the BEGI kits if you are shoping for a kit instead of a DIY.

Also look into just getting an alignment and nice shocks like the factory sport package Bilsteins (revalve the suckers), Koni, etc.

Good tires!!!!!

Pitlab77 said:
There stuff is not the end all be all that people make it out to be.
Some of their products are just rebadged items from major manufacturers. Anyone know who makes their springs?

Pitlab77 said:
There stuff is not the end all be all that people make it out to be.
Not only that, but they don't feel the need to really want to help us 1.6l owners.

Im sorry if it annoyed you k-lea, but I came here for help, maybe tell me why it bothers you. I heard that FM products are pretty good, reason being because they have been supposedly making products for Miatas ever since they have been out. Just what I heard, so whats the problem with FM products?

Newports said:
Im sorry if it annoyed you k-lea, but I came here for help, maybe tell me why it bothers you. I heard that FM products are pretty good, reason being because they have been supposedly making products for Miatas ever since they have been out. Just what I heard, so whats the problem with FM products?
there's nothing wrong with FM, but there are better stuff out there.

Newports said:

FM products are heard to be good because FM is pretty much all Miata owners know. I can go up to a Honduh owner and they say "Flyin Miata?" FM isn't God of Miatas, realize that. There are far more things out there than just FM. Try BEGi who are one of the best at making turbo kits. You car will just be one big FM bore. It's been done more than a million times and just gets boring. Get off their site and enjoy others such as:

www.bellengineering.net
www.miatamania.com
www.good-win-racing.com

k-lea said:
Or anyone for that matter. :)
that's why I have to build my own intake manifold.. Speaking of which, I got some free time coming up soon. Time to fire up the compressor and die grinder.

Lucky! There was a recent horror story with a Miata owner I know. Basically, FM messed up on building his motor and his head is fubared. $15k in a motor and boom, done.

MiaTurbo said:
that's why I have to build my own intake manifold.. Speaking of which, I got some free time coming up soon. Time to fire up the compressor and die grinder.

Be sure to fire up your camera too. ;)

camcorder also, if possible ;)

BTW, you has a PM (but I didn't eated it :p)

k-lea said:
Lucky! There was a recent horror story with a Miata owner I know. Basically, FM messed up on building his motor and his head is fubared. $15k in a motor and boom, done.

to be fair, im sure there are horro stories of every company that is in the aftermarket industry. You cant go by one person, you should look at their track record as a whole. Not that im accusing you of that, im sure you've looked into it alot since you seem to know your stuff. Just playing devils advocate

Newports said:
There is the crux, they dont make most of their products. Their previous turbo kits were as a result of a partnership with BEGI, now they have gone thier own ways. As well as alot of other stuff that FM just servers as a middle man.

for suspension www.fatcatmotorsports.com

Iggy said:
to be fair, im sure there are horro stories of every company that is in the aftermarket industry. You cant go by one person, you should look at their track record as a whole. Not that im accusing you of that, im sure you've looked into it alot since you seem to know your stuff. Just playing devils advocate
That there is BUT I was pointing out that FM is not perfect. A lot of Miata owners put them on a pedestal.

And no, this isn't what he is saying, I'm just making it aware. No product or business is perfect, they all have their ups and downs but when you are not supported when a product of their fails is when you go into more issues which is what happened to him. They dropped him like BEGi dropped me with the Xede. Fast and hard with not a small amount of money spent.

k-lea said:
That there is BUT I was pointing out that FM is not perfect. A lot of Miata owners put them on a pedestal.

I wouldn't buy everything from them (sometimes they are overpriced too!) but there are bits and pieces I would get from them.

Back