FM Budget Setup

Newports

Well I have yet to get a NB Miata yet, but I just want to find out if this total setup will be the best bang for my money for an overall all-round improvement of the Miatas performance with out causing big problems in the future.

2001-05 brake upgrade kit - $675.00
http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?stocknumber=14-19005
Flyin' Miata clutch Happy Meal - $699.00
http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?stocknumber=08-36005
Flyin` Miata stage 2 suspension kit - $792.00
http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?stocknumber=13-16500 1999-05
2003-05 Voodoo turbo system - $2770.00
http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?stocknumber=22-15300 BLK GAUGE

Misc. Accessories
2003-05 dual gauge pod - $37.95
http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?stocknumber=21-16560
AEM gauge/wideband kit - $305.00
http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?stocknumber=06-99110 ALL COLORS

Should I go with a Borla dual exhaust or the FM one made for turbo'd miatas?

In the end its not too cheap, but this will set me back on performance upgrades for a while, then after I earn some more money I can start working on the body.

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
turbo kit > *

the stock brakes are fine unless you plan on hot lapping on a high speed track. the stock suspension is also pretty good, but the wheel gap is a decent amount, so lowering springs & higher valved shocks make a noticeable improvement on reducing body lean and getting rid of the gap.

Welcome to the board! It's always great to have another Miata owner on board, even if the Miata comes in the future. :)

That list sounds like a good start. I'd skip the brake upgrade as something that heavy duty isn't required, especially on an NB. At the most, upgrade your pads to something in the order of EBC Greenstuff, Hawk HPS, etc.

The stage 2 suspension setup isn't bad, but it really isn't anything more than a starter kit. I don't know what you're overall intentions are in terms of handling performance, so I can't really suggest much in that department.

I have no input on the exhaust in that on both of my Miata's, it just dumps out to the ground after the cat ;).

Thanks for the heads up gr?.

lol and thanks kcbhiw.

But will I be able to put on a BOV instead of the BPV on the turbo kit?

Yes.

Btw, if you aren't staying stock, you are ALWAYS going to run into problems. That's what I have learned. No matter how much you tune or money you spend, something will always pop up. That's the way this game works. It's one big money pit, do realize that.

PS: Not that it matters or anything, but you going full-out FM annoys the hell out of me.

Last edited:
When used on a car with an air meter, a BOV will cause super rich AFR spikes that could affect throttle tip in on the next gear and/or momentary hesitation, stumble, or other undesirable effects. A BPV (bypass valve) is ideal in any boosted application when the air is metered, as opposed to when only manifold pressure is monitored. A BPV doesn't sound as cool, but w/e.

If care and precision are applied and a car is set up correctly, it will be reliable and trouble free. I have had zero issues with my quite modified CSP Miata that has been raced for 4 years and only clutch slippage issues (cheap clutches) with my home-brew turbo Miata that has been raced for 2 years, FWIW.

Clutch was still an issue though.

I just say, big or small, there will be something. It's man-made, we suck.

k-lea said:
Clutch was still an issue though.

I just say, big or small, there will be something. It's man-made, we suck.

The clutch was an issue because I went cheap.

Problems might or might not occur. But to say that they "always" occur due to modification of a vehicle is a bit obtuse (no offense intended). There are many instances of modified, some siginificantly, cars on the road that have operated problem-free for thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of miles.

Is this after spending $$$$$?

I've not known one car that has been modded that had no issues along the way/afterwards.

I'm taking no offense to this, it's a valid argument, to me atleast.

You say "hundreds to thousands" which is exactly what happened to me. I had not one single problem until the power starting doing some wear and tear on things. Which lead to problems, which came to a small amount of money, then became a entire rebuild.

k-lea said:
You say "hundreds to thousands" which is exactly what happened to me. I had not one single problem until the power starting doing some wear and tear on things. Which lead to problems, which came to a small amount of money, then became a entire rebuild.

That's like saying "Since you're buying a new car, expect problems. They always happen." Machines inherently break down. Things wear, things break, but not "always" right off the bat or in the near future. Long term reliability is the topic of this particular conversation.

Anyway, let's get this back on topic, shall we?

kcbhiw said:
When used on a car with an air meter, a BOV will cause super rich AFR spikes that could affect throttle tip in on the next gear and/or momentary hesitation, stumble, or other undesirable effects. A BPV (bypass valve) is ideal in any boosted application when the air is metered, as opposed to when only manifold pressure is monitored. A BPV doesn't sound as cool, but w/e.
The first time I heard the GFB recirculation system on an MSM I was suprised at how 'loud' it was. It's not as loud as a vent to air system, but it's still audible inside & outside the car. So for those who want the sound and performance, the GFB system is pretty good.

Ok, back on topic..

Have you ever thought of using the vents for you gauges? Save you $40 and cluster. Vents aren't always the way to go but try sitting in a Miata with a pillar full of gauges. It was personal preference to use the vents due to the pillar being "IN YOUR FACE" and almost scary to think about if in an accident.

The Borla Dual would be kind of dumb to do. I'd stick to to the FM one. I agree that the Big Brake Kit would be unnecessary until you start putting down big numbers. My brakes have yet to give me any problems and they are still going strong.

Check into Tein for suspension. I haven't been in a Miata with the FM suspension but I did have Tein's and they were excellent. Best thing I did to the car.

Just some thoughts.

gr? said:
The first time I heard the GFB recirculation system on an MSM I was suprised at how 'loud' it was. It's not as loud as a vent to air system, but it's still audible inside & outside the car. So for those who want the sound and performance, the GFB system is pretty good.

Indeed. I am currently using a MSM BPV (until the standalone goes in) and it is noticable. Sounds kinda cool.

Another option for suspension are the BC Racing BR shocks. For the price, they're far superior to a lot of other units out there. If interested, PM me for more info as the seller isn't an AMM on this board.

Personally, I've got a preference towards RacingBeat suspension products...

IMHO, Koni > KYB shocks... Skip the FM suspension kit, and look at Racing Beat.

If you got better pads for now, you'll be fine until you start going to track days- I liked Green Stuff pads for the street, but others didn't, so..

Last edited:
No no, haha. I made a post that made no sense, so I edited mine and just killed the whole thing. You are fine from what I read.

Back