Flyin Miata turbo kits

Mad Hatter

:
02 Axiom, 02 MP5
Anyone here using any of their kits? I'm am soon to have a 97 miata, which I plan on turning in to my project/mod car since I'll never boost my P5(A/T). I've heard good things about them, but am not real excited about their prices. I do like the idea of being able to start out with the FMI kit and eventually upgrading to the FMII kit. But over $5K in a turbo??? Seems pretty steep.

I have driven a few FM turbo cars. Sweet! Big power potential, few problems. I don't own one, too rich for my blood. But the kits are very complete.

Have you done reading on Miata.net? Also check out the Miata.net forum and the Miata Power list.

Check out my friend Bob's hyper active Maita - http://www.cardomain.com/id/p1auto
Over 300 HP at the wheels! It started as a FM kit, but is way beyond that now.

The FM kits are very nice, and complete. I always wanted one. But like you, the cost is too much. luckily I have a NA6 so I went with a Greddy. By the time I'm gone, it'll be about 200hp, and a total cost of ~$3500

very nice complete kits.

Also consider
1: RacingMazda.com
2: BRP racing (just developed new turbo kit)

to tell you the truth, I probably have ended up going with the fmII kit cause you will spend less money in the long run and you come across less problems. I started out with a basic greddy turbo and now am running about 12 psi with a jdm intercooler and electronics . I'll tell you, you end up spending more money but the key is not all at once. If your patient. Or you can go with a garrett turbo and have some build the piping custom and upgrade from there. A big-ball spooling turbo is a nice start.

Mad Hatter said:
Anyone here using any of their kits? I'm am soon to have a 97 miata, which I plan on turning in to my project/mod car since I'll never boost my P5(A/T). I've heard good things about them, but am not real excited about their prices. I do like the idea of being able to start out with the FMI kit and eventually upgrading to the FMII kit. But over $5K in a turbo??? Seems pretty steep.

I've been waffling between the BEGI base kits, and FM base kit...

FM's kits seem to be priced more agressively for what you get... my current idea is to get the FM voodoo2, and then build a megasquirt for engine management... save a ton on the hydra...

my first plan was just to do a custom job, as from doing rough math off of prices i'd seen on ebay and the like, i was sure i could do one for under $1k... but once i started upping the ante to "decent" quality parts... my total skyrocketed to far above what FM or BEGI charge.

Then you're not shopping around right. You can easily do a complete turbo set up with good parts for under 2k. including the megasquirt. That is I'm assuming you're going to do the build yourself.. if you're going to farm out labor, then yes price goes up.

Well, I've been biting my tongue for a year waiting for updates... lol

if you do a little bit of searching on the web you can find certain things that they offer but alot cheaper...just like the hydra ecu i found for 1600 instead of 2000, and you can always make an exaust and buy an i.c. from somewhere else...you can make things work, i called about just getting the turbo manifold and gt3071 and its only like $1200 really not all that bad concidering all the testing that theyve done and all of the positive feedbacks theyve gotten from customers...their s*** may be pricey but if you want it right without popin motors i would highly recomend their parts

Thought I'd chime in here. I'm going with the no-electronics kit for $2995 that comes with manifold/turbo already bolted together, intercooler setup, outlet and downpipe. These will sit in my room waiting patiently until I can afford RC 550 injectors, MSPNP and LC-1.

Nothing beats FM's customer service and know-how. I've never had an issue with missing pieces when I buy from them. I have their Stage 2 fan shroud kit bolted to my 37mm Koyo rad also sitting in my room waiting for more boost parts (rei)

May as well pop in here, in case anyone ever looks.

I did the FMII conversion on my Mazdaspeed Miata. GT2560R. The kit came complete, well packaged, great instructions, no problems! Would do it again in an instant!

Back