flooding

..although It can be Injectors,there are Variety of things that Can ultimately Flood the Old rotary..
One thing that Comes to mind Besides injectors Is LOW compression,and Even though the Injectors are Fine Low compression will flood the engine.It will make the Engine think it needs fuel and cause it to flood
Another Culprit is the Temp sender on the Back of the waterpump;Read by the ECU,if that Part decides to Crap out, you get a Flooding problem when the Car is Hot..
But Hey..I am just a NEWB..heh,,(ya right..newb!)
My .02 anyways..STYX!~

one way to tell whether or not it is the injectors is to see when it happens. if it happens from a cold start, it is probably not the injectors. if it happens when the car has been running for and you kill the engine for a while and it floods for the next hour after that, it is leaky injectors.

Both people are correct.. and Just so everyone knows.. Styx may be a newb to this forum but he has been messin with these cars for well... How old am I???? lol

Anyways My question is.. if you have this problem when does it do it..

Gas smell like oil (EXCESSIVELY)
cold starts only
warm starts

Now how to deflood an engine... this can be tricky.. There are a few ways here is one..

1. pull out all 4 plugs
2. pull the fuel fuses from under the hood **1**
3. crank the engine over as u watch the fuel being blown out into the air **2**
4. put a dab of engine oil into both lower spark plug holes (this will help with compression on fireup)
5. install plugs (make sure they are clean and dry or put new ones in)
6. put plug wires back on
7. put fuses back in
8. make sure your battery is charged up and turn the car over.

**NOTATIONS**
1. S4 cars have TWO (2) fuel fuses a pink and green on the rail make sure to check your fsm and remove BOTH fuses to cut off fuel to the engine
S5 engines only have 1 fuse.

2. Crank the engine for a minimum of 10 seconds 2-3 times while cranking notice the fuel being shot out of the plug holes into the air, you want no left over fuel (if possible). Holding the pedal down helps feed the engine extra air and may help with this (not proven that I know of).

If this does not work you may need to drop in a cap full of ATF into the plug holes and hope that overnight the atf will dry up the gas. Remember a full charged battery and good spark plugs is a must when dealing with a flooding engine as many times this process needs to be done more then once.

To find out if your engine may be problomatic do a compression check.. Low compression in both housings will give you an engine destine for flooding.. 80% of the time an engine with low compression on 1 housing (depending how low) will still fire and run and wont suffer from flooding.

If the engine has good compression and you have done a tune up (so u know u have good plugs and wires) it may be time to send those 20 yr old injectors in to get cleaned up, flow tested and then reinstall.

www.cruzinperformance.com/
OR
http://injector-rehab.com/

I recommend them for any fuel injection service.

Any other questions.. feel free to ask.. thats what us VETS are here for :)

Also to add....apparently some of the turbo ECUs causes flooding when the car is warmed, don't know the reason for this, but it just does.

Back