Fix/replace leaking oil pan?

curls

So it appears that the car my sister bought (2002 P5, manual transmission) has a slight leak from the oil pan. I haven't fully investigated to see where it's coming from, but overnight it dropped about 4 square inches worth of slight puddle onto my garage floor. :( It's a very, very, very slight leak it appears.

Should I clean up the oil pan with a degreaser and then look for signs of oil leaking from the pan and/or gasket, or is there an easier way to tell?

Also, if there's a leak caused by rust on the oil pan, would using a wire brush to clean it and then slathering JB Weld on be enough to hold it for a few years? I don't want to mess with dropping the pan, cleaning it, and re-doing the silicone gasket unless 100% necessary. Also, I really don't want to have to get her a new oil pan since they run upwards of $100 CAD. :(

Is this a fairly common problem with these cars? I was unable to search "oil pan", probably because the terms are too short unfortunately.

i need a new one...seems like its getting really thin!

i'd change it asap if its leaking...dont want to mess with the engine and losing oil...that could lead to even greater problems...my 2 cents

I would replace it...from what I remember it's not too complicated, ad they're not too expensive. I would just make sure the leak is coming from the pan for sure before replacing it!

I looked at it last night while starting the timing-belt change and it looks to be flaking quite a bit, etc. It probably needs a full replacement, but, I don' have the time to do it right now. I'll talk to my sister and see if she wants me to do it, or if she will bring it to my dad's mechanic and get them to do it. Anyone know the book rate (hours) to do this?

Its very easy and quick to do. Just get a gasket scraper and remove all that crap once it dropped. Get permatex gray gasket maker. Also allow it to fully dry and cure overnight before you go driving it again.

ive been thinking about changing mine.

mine is realyl rusted and getting thin also.

It doesnt look like a hard job.

never did a cost check on the pan its self

The sponsor parts supplier here has it listed at about $70 USD + shipping. That translates to probably over $100 CAD at my local dealer even with my discount (friend works in parts department but is away this week).

The service manual indicates the use of a special separator tool to get the pan off without damaging anything. Has anyone successfully removed their oil pan without this special tool (which looks like a wedge and is not really high-tech at all).??

No special tool is needed. Remove all bolts. Then there is spot to thread in one of the bolts that when its threaded in it pushes the pan away from the engine to separate it. While that is being done, use a flat head screw driver and just gently pry it away.

Back