Fix For Notchy/Rough Manual Transmission

Oshiguru

Reposting this from another forum..

Hey guys! As some of you may know I've been having the problem with the extremely notchy shifter from 2 to 3 and 4 to 5. I began to accept it as a normal feeling even though it felt like the car was not engaging into the gears as smoothly as the test drive unit. So I brought it into my dealer for it's first oil change and lo and behold theres a TSB fix for early production manual 2.0 mazda3s regarding the shifter. Took it for a spirited drive after my oil change and noticed I don't have to move the shifter like a chess piece and actually shift it like my previous manual cars (miata, mini, bmw).

Below is what it said on my invoice:
Customer reports transmission feels notchy when shifting. Inspected for TSB. Found 05-14-01 for similar concern. Adjust shifter cable as per TSB for smoother engagement of gears

Not sure if it's the same number (05-14-01) for you USA folks but try to mention this to your dealer if you have the rough / notchy shifter and get it fixed! Also let us know if it did fix your problem or not

Have fun zoom zooming!!! :Racing 1:

My 2014 Mazda 3 also feel notchy and rough going from 4th to 5th. Mazda said it's normal!

Waid

Well, now you know it is not.

To be clear, your dealer said it is normal, not Mazda.

I had a notchy feel going from 3 to 4, but it went away as I put some mileage on the car. Currently at 4500 kms.

Every manual 2014 GS I drove had this issue.

Back