First time plasti dip on cx9

rayc263

:
Mazda CX-9 grand touring
New here and to all things dip. Have been lurking around for a few weeks learning and researching. Got a used 2010 cx-9 for my wife about 2 weeks and neither one of us are fans of chrome. This is where the dip obsession began!

Started with the rear mazda emblem 4 cots of black with 3 coats of silver metalizer
zy8a3u4a.jpg

Today I moved on to the front grille and wanted a subtle 2 tone effect so did the honeycomb part of the grille black and the surrounding trim which was once chrome in the same black with silver metalizer form as the rear emblem
uvata7up.jpg
une7a4en.jpg

Then the famous mazda "smile" tried to break it up a little by dipping the whole thing black and extending the look of the grille all the way to the bottom of the bumper... this part of the grille had slight damage and cracks from previous owner and will be replaced in a few months but the dip helped make it less noticeable
pyhypaqa.jpg

Next to kind of contrast the large black lower grille went and dipped the fogs with that black and silver metalizer combo and I really liked this part the most for some reason maybe it's the angles in the fog surround
y8a6a4aj.jpg
yveputyt.jpg

And simply cause I'm a member on multiple forums throughout the Internet I know we all love pics so here's one more of the whole front
dujysavu.jpg

I will be doing the chrome door handles in the black and silver metalizer in the upcoming weeks and the rims in the same combination by end of july. I must say this addiction takes hold quickly!!!

My toyota fj will be next after I finish her car. I hope you guys enjoy my work and thanks to all who have posted and have given me so many ideas

Looks good! Thanks for sharing!! I've been looking for people modifying CX-9s but haven't had much luck. Here are a couple if pics of what I did to mine. (Anthracite) I've had mine for about 2 months.
Before:
yjygytud.jpg

After:
desu6asu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good! Thanks for sharing!! I've been looking for people modifying CX-9s but haven't had much luck. Here are a couple if pics of what I did to mine. (Anthracite) I've had mine for about 2 months.
Before:
yjygytud.jpg

After:
desu6asu.jpg

Yeah I had the same issue. You don't really see people doing much to the cx-9. Those emblems came out nice by the way. It's such a nice vehicle people need to do more to them.

Good job both of you! Can't wait to see the rim shots! ;)

How durable is this stuff? Will it hold up well on door handles with all the touching they get?

Talk to me about this metalizer. Do you have to be cautious when spraying it on, or does it peel up easily like pastidip?

Plasti Dip is very durable, many people use it on wheels as well. I had it on the grills of my G8 for 3yrs and it looked great still when I sold it.

The metalizer works just like plasti dip it's base is plastidip glossifier so it even gives a slight gloss finish. It peels up just as easily though it is slightly thinner than normal plasti dip colors but none the less it's supposed to be sprayed over top of other coats so you'll already have plenty of coats prior to its use. Then you just peel away. I get all my plasti dip info from the dipyourcar.com forum real helpful for all things plasti dip

Good job both of you! Can't wait to see the rim shots! ;)

How durable is this stuff? Will it hold up well on door handles with all the touching they get?
I've see plenty of members at dipyourcar.com do door handles and pretty much their entire cars. Head over there and look around its where I learned all about plasti dip. Bunch of nice people sharing ideas and techniques

The metalizer works just like plasti dip it's base is plastidip glossifier so it even gives a slight gloss finish. It peels up just as easily though it is slightly thinner than normal plasti dip colors but none the less it's supposed to be sprayed over top of other coats so you'll already have plenty of coats prior to its use. Then you just peel away. I get all my plasti dip info from the dipyourcar.com forum real helpful for all things plasti dip

Good info, thank you.

Yeah I had the same issue. You don't really see people doing much to the cx-9. Those emblems came out nice by the way. It's such a nice vehicle people need to do more to them.

Bro do you have to remove the emblem and paste it again? Tnx

Bro do you have to remove the emblem and paste it again? Tnx
I removed the grill and popped the emblem out just cause I wanted to have the 2 tone effect. It's held in by 3 or 4 clips then pops right back in.

Yep! Looks great!! Starting to finally cool off in AZ. Hoping to do a little more dipping soon.

Looks awesome! How hard was it and how long did it take?
Thanks.... very easy! I just cut trash bags almost all the way through and draped them over the rotor and caliper and painted away. Then just peel excess off the tire... that's it! Took about 2 to 3 hrs but that's with breaks and I have 2 kids which I had to make sure they weren't destroying the house lol.

Wheels look great! I think Im gonna steal your idea :)
Steal away friend! Cx9 isn't really a head turning vehicle but now heads follow it all the way up the street lol and I get a ton of compliments and questions! Looks great in person!!!!

your 9 looks good I was thinking of doing the same thing on my 08 to all the chrome.

Back