First time buyer choosing a P5

TCBAM

After new years, Im getting off my ass and getting a used P5 for my first car to call my own. Is there anything I should look out for when looking at this type of car? (i.e. problems that to show up at certain mileages ect.) Ive been browsing this forum for about a month now (lurk) and so far ive like what ive seen.
Thanks =D

Last edited:
I love mine but beware, you will upgrade and go broke doing it. Headers, exhaust, CAI, Springs, and Turbo... need I say more. Either way it all adds up to $$$$$$$$$$$$

I considered modding my stock P5, then i took a new MS3 for a test drive and said "no way". I'll just drive my P5 for a few more years and replace it for a midlife-crisis-sleeper-car

I considered modding my stock P5, then i took a new MS3 for a test drive and said "no way". I'll just drive my P5 for a few more years and replace it for a midlife-crisis-sleeper-car

What a differance eh? 265hp in that little car is awsome.

Of course do a carfax report...Rear end accidents sometimes create leaks in the hatch/tail lights...uhhhh??? Around 40-50k you'll want to clean the EGR valve, and repeat as needed....That's one of the most common little problems.

There was a decently major recall in the 2003 models for loose butterfly screws in the Intake manifold, which if not taken care of can destroy the head or the engine if it is really bad...Uhhhh??? Weak ass alternator...which they all have....

If you autocross, you'll want to look into a baffled oil pan to prevent oil starvation...

Really not a lot of major mechanical problems....unless you boost it..Then everything can break...

Of course do a carfax report...Rear end accidents sometimes create leaks in the hatch/tail lights...uhhhh??? Around 40-50k you'll want to clean the EGR valve, and repeat as needed....That's one of the most common little problems.

There was a decently major recall in the 2003 models for loose butterfly screws in the Intake manifold, which if not taken care of can destroy the head or the engine if it is really bad...Uhhhh??? Weak ass alternator...which they all have....

If you autocross, you'll want to look into a baffled oil pan to prevent oil starvation...

Really not a lot of major mechanical problems....unless you boost it..Then everything can break...
OK, thread jack, WTF is 16% charcoal in your sig? & you need an X in aper1 diverter right?..................Sorry, back to your regularly scheduled topic.

Here's a thread with your same question: link

MODS: Could a few threads like this be stickied with a title called "Thinking of buying a P5?"? It would be really helpful for anyone needing an overview of the pros/cons of the P5. I've found myself in the same shoes searching other car forums for pros/cons info. It's never consolidated and I wind up searching around forever to glean just a little insight.

Here's a thread with your same question: link

MODS: Could a few threads like this be stickied with a title called "Thinking of buying a P5?"? It would be really helpful for anyone needing an overview of the pros/cons of the P5. I've found myself in the same shoes searching other car forums for pros/cons info. It's never consolidated and I wind up searching around forever to glean just a little insight.

Thanks that helped out a lot! =D

no, make sure it IS silver, then you dont have to do most of those mods to be faster

I guess thats a notion that people down here in south fl didn't really catch on, cause all of the used ones here are either silver or red.

but then again every other car i see around here is some garbage pile with a "H" on it

Just make sure its not silver :D
(doughpoke All of the colors are nice though. Just make sure that if it is yellow the clear coat is still in good shape.

Welcome to the forums. One thing I can say about the P5 is that the parts aren't horribly expensive or difficult to work on.

Problems that are not very common but do happen:
Ignition coil - multiple misfire code - replace one or both ignition coils
Pre Cat - Bank 2 high temp code - get a header if you don't have to have a smog check
EGR valve - clean once a year as part of your maintenance and you should be good to go.

Problems for certain years, seems it was the 2003/2003.5
Butterflyscrew in the intake manifold - recalled

Please check out the How To section as this community LOVES to share information to make it easier on all of us.

So i found 2 relatively close in my area both silver lol

but i was wondering if anyone with a carfax account could check out theses to cars for me it would be much appreciated Thank you

JM1BJ245031114635

and

JM1BJ245431184803

did you order an intake yet? seriously have you? come on..... mod mod mod modddddd lol its a sickness hahaha

About that butterfly screw thingy. Does anyone have a link I can follow to read up on this? As a new owner of a 03.5 it has just become a concern. I tried searching but to no avail.

Back