First speeding ticket in the MS3

Sorry, the kind of detector you have is irrelevant when they pulse you. A radar / laser detector can't detect one that isn't on!

That is why you are supposed to have a rabbit that is a good distance in front of you so that they get pulsed and you detect it and have time to slow down. The kind of detector you have is relevant because crappy detectors have crappy range and they won't alert to quick trigger pulls of the radar gun.

If I had a rabbit, I wouldn't need a detector. And you just can't always count on a rabbit on so many of the roads. (2 lanes, back roads, etc.) Don't get me wrong, I understand your point out a good range detector, but to me, it adds very little benefit because of all of the other things you must do to make it effective. As everyone has already pointed out, you need to be constantly checking in front and behind, side streets, on / off ramps, and of course --- a good rabbit helps a lot. When you do all that, I find you pretty much don't need one.

I hear you, but I still disagree. I don't care what kind of detector you have, when that cop that you didn't see pops his radar / laser on you, it takes a several seconds for the detector to go off, you to notice, and then get your speed down. By then, it is usually too late. I say why do you need the radar detector. That's what you have eyes for. If you didn't see him to begin with, the radar detector isn't likely to save you. Again, that is how cops do it around here.... they leave it off until the last second... then boom! You are done...

Yeah well 99.9% of the cops here don't pulse you or use laser. Thats why I mentioned it. And your eyes can't see around corners. I've picked up radar around corners before and had more than enough time to brake. We also don't have hills here ;) Like I said, it's not the be all end all, but it's a good compliment. The false sense of security claim is usually for young and inexperienced drivers. Me in my early 20s would definitely rely solely on the radar and would also invest in the cheapest unit as well. With age and experience my sense of awareness has changed drastically. In addition to the radar, I use sight and I memorize all the areas known to have traps.

Another instance where having a detector is useful is for areas one might not
be familiar with like in little tourist-trap one horse towns where speeding tickets are a good source of revenue.

I can tell you they pulse in Kentucky, Ohio, and Maryland for sure. Those are the places I used radar detectors that were dead silent and then suddenly lit up like Christmas trees. (And I did use three different detectors, and one was a highly rated Belkin. Still didn't help.)

a little off topic, but the hatred of cops is similar

ok... Saturday night i decided to go out on a late night run (about 11:30). I was wearing a black shirt an shorts, sneakers, and had on no reflective material. I eventually get stopped by an officer. He asks me what I'm doing. I say "just running". He asks me for ID, WTF? I didn't have any pockets. He asks me if i live in the area. I reply that i've lived here for almost two years, but i've been in Iraq for the last fifteen months. His demeanor immediately changed to an apologetic one. Maybe i should just move to a town where there are more than 20-something black people. Nah...

Last edited:
ok... Saturday night i decided to go out on a late night run (about 11:30). I was wearing a black shirt an shorts, sneakers, and had on no reflective material. I eventually get stopped by an officer. He asks me what I'm doing. I say "just running". He asks me for ID, WTF? I didn't have any pockets. He asks me if i live in the area. I reply that i've lived here for almost two years, but i've been in Iraq for the last fifteen months. His demeanor immediately changed to an apologetic one. Maybe i should just move to a town where there are more than 20-something black people. Nah...

Ha, I got a similar one my then girlfriend (now wife) and I went for a late night walk in the town we live in. This was when we were still in college. We were both in pajama bottoms and t-shirts. So we're walking down the street on a friday night. Countless ricers and cars were flying down the main drag. And a cop pulls us over.....for walking. And they call for back-up. So they ask us for ID and all we're carrying are our dorm keys. They say they stopped us because some local college kids had been "breaking into the mall" or something. So after asking us a few questions as everyone drives by to see 2 people pulled over by 2 cop cars, they ask for our dorm addresses and let us go.

I was just a little upset. Like they had nothing better to do.

I'm on the other side of the radar detector argument. Mine has saved me so many times it's paid for itself ten-fold. I don't let it give me a false sense of comfort. I still have to look for the "trouble" spots, especially where I know laser is used.

Anyway, PBJ? A sandwich will get you no points?? ;)

I'm on the other side of the radar detector argument. Mine has saved me so many times it's paid for itself ten-fold. I don't let it give me a false sense of comfort. I still have to look for the "trouble" spots, especially where I know laser is used.

Anyway, PBJ? A sandwich will get you no points?? ;)

I respectfully disagree. I just don't see much value added with them.

As far as the PBJ, you still get points. It is still considered a conviction, it is just that you get probation before judgement. It helps with the punishment, but remember in most states you still have to go through a MVA (DMV) hearing that has nothing to do with the criminal one. This usually means a 8 point slap (In MD anyway) and a license suspension / revocation.

Back