First post here, and a question about what just happened to my CX-9 :-(

kevmk81

:
2013 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum. Just bought a 2013 CX-9 a few months ago. Touring version with AWD. Love it so far!

So, my wife and I went out to shoot some photos where we live. Found a spot that looked cool so we decided to find a place to park. Unfortunately, it's out in nowheresville, no parking lots, etc., so we look at parking on the side of the road. There is a "ditch", and we thought what the heck, might as well park in the ditch. It didn't look that steep at all. When we went in, it seemed more steep than it looked. So no problem we'll just have fun getting out when we finish taking pics. We get back, try to get out, and it's not so good. The pitch/angle of exit from the ditch is making it feel like the car is twisting, etc. So we decide to drive down the "ditch" to find a better exit point. Suddenly a loud "pop" noise, sounds like someone took a hammer and struck a piece of metal - but a bit muffled, which gave us a scare. We ended up finally getting back on the road - after spinning tires, etc... trying to get out.

We drive around, and I can't tell if anything is damaged. It seems like everything is functioning as it should. No fluid leaking under the car. Cornering hard seems to be the same. Engine seems to be running fine. Transmission seems to be shifting ok. We checked out a gravel road, tested the AWD, no light flashed so I think that's ok as well. No dummy lights are on either. I did notice that some trim seems to be loose on the rear passenger side wheel well now which was fine before. Checked all the windows, none are cracked or anything.

So, what could that sound have been? Any ideas? I'm afraid with the twisting and torque on the car trying to get out of the ditch that I might have damaged the frame of the vehicle or something. But nothing is showing that it's messed up. Is there a way to know if the frame has been damaged? I'm thinking it's either that, or something with the wheels suspension (struts, shocks, whatever). I'm not very mechanically inclined. lol :-(

This reminds me of something that happened my first week driving my CX-9. I was on the freeway going 70mph with moderate traffic, but no trucks in front of me when all of a sudden I heard a loud crack. I assumed a rock had hit the windshield, but it was early in the morning and the sun wasn't quite up yet, and I couldn't see anything when I passed under lights. Got home and inspected the car for a good 10 minutes and couldn't find a single thing. I still have no idea what caused it, but it sure was loud. Obviously a different scenario than yours though.

Were the tires spinning when you heard the sound? If so, it was probably just a rock getting kicked up.

Could it have been the ABS or Traction Control systems?

It probably was not an ABS or TCS sound. I was not using brakes, so it couldn't have been ABS. I'm not sure what the TCS would sound like. Does it make a sound? This sound was definitely *loud*!

Probably kicked up stone hitting somewhere under the chassis.
If you really want to know, you will have to have it lifted up for a look-see.

It probably was not an ABS or TCS sound. I was not using brakes, so it couldn't have been ABS. I'm not sure what the TCS would sound like. Does it make a sound? This sound was definitely *loud*!

I'm not entirely sure it makes a sound, but I do know that many TCS systems actually use the ABS components. So I would assume similar sounds could be possible, and ABS can definitely be loud.

Sounds like you ran over the end of something, like a length of board, or metal fence post, which smacked the other end up into something on the vehicle. I know one can get a pretty good ring from stone shields, etc under there. I wouldn't be too concerned, that's a tough hombre under there - I had mine about 3 days when I hit a speed bump too hard (I came from a Ford Expedition) and dropped the undercarriage on the top of the bump. My stomach was queasy for a week over that one! Welcome to the CX ranks.

Last edited:
Sounds like you ran over the end of something, like a length of board, or metal fence post, which smacked the other end up into something on the vehicle. I know one can get a pretty good ring from stone shields, etc under there. I wouldn't be too concerned, that's a though hombre under there -

My thoughts as well.

Latest posts

Back